Vittorio Cottafavi (or Sur un art ignoré)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Saimo

Re: Vittorio Cottafavi (or Sur un art ignoré)

#26 Post by Saimo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:12 am

OT
I have recently seen a beatiful film by Helmut Kautner, Auf Wiedersehn, Franziska! (1941), and in a small role I found Margot Hielscher, later leading actress in Cottafavi's Nel gorgo del peccato (1954). I think she is a pretty interesting actress, since in both cases she plays the role of a foreign woman seducing German/Italian men, and in fact her sex-appeal was rather peculiar, pretty unusual for her time, but in no way you can call her "femme fatale", cause of her lively and complex characterizations. I have sent her an appreciation letter (she is now 92), and she is a very kind lady too.

Saimo

#27 Post by Saimo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 am

Due to logistic problems, the release has been delayed a few days... Still coming very soon, don't worry.

Saimo

#28 Post by Saimo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 am

Saimo

#29 Post by Saimo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:21 am

Some screenshots from Nel gorgo del peccato (aka L'affranchi or Das Ewige Lied der Liebe). Perhaps not Cottafavi's finest melodrama, but look at background composition and you will understand why we talk about "secret art"...

Saimo

#30 Post by Saimo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:54 am

Felliniesque dream sequence from Cottafavi's Ministry of Fear TV mini-serie (1966): http://youtu.be/ZcTfSl1p5Ws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ellipsis7

#31 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Any update on the Fiamma che non si spegne release from RHV?...

Saimo

#32 Post by Saimo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Unfortunately, the first three Cottafavi releases were very poor sellers, so I don't know when RHV will be able to release Fiamma... By the way, this is my favourite Cottafavi, and I have also shot a 20 minute interview with his assistant director, so I am really concerned about this DVD, but the Italian market situation isn't encouraging.