It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1645 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 66  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:53 pm 

These popped up out of nowhere:

PICKPOCKET (!!!) (Accent Entertainment released yesterday) I will view this tonight and give a review tomorrow comparing to the MK2.No Info currently on extras etc)
Claire Denis' TROUBLE EVERY DAY (Shock Video April 29)
CODE INCONNU (Accent again May 11)
LE PROCES DE JEANNE D'ARC (Accent again May 11)
PANIC IN THE STREETS (AV Channel presumably licenced from Fox May 30)
Todd Haynes' POISON (AV Channel June 21)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:18 pm 

Add to this list:
Ozon's GOUTTES D'EAU SUR PIERRES BRULANTES released yesterday - the first release of this title outside France. (Accent again, who have also released excellent DVDs of Ozon's LES AMANTS CRIMINELS - far better than the US disc and anamorphic), and a 2-disc box of Ozon Shorts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:33 pm 

A friend has kindly pointed out GOUTTES D'EAU is already available in R1.

Re PICKPOCKET. The Accent R4 disc is a port of the MK2 including the movie and LES MODELES DE PICKPOCKET only. No interview extras. Also Accent appears to have done its own subs . AS a general comment I am very pleased with this resotration of PICKPOCKET, although there is some minor print damage and the many opticals and fades show minor "popping" indicating a second generation master. BUT the gray scale is wonderful and in general I think the disc is very fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:19 am 

Is this a record? Four posts from the same poster??

I need to add a couple reservations about the Accent PICKPOCKET.

1: it's too expensive
2: the opening text is rendered in English not the original French text with English subs which is a (minor) irritant.

Other than that it's virtually identical to the MK2 (without the interview extras) but for that price point (around 30USD) I think they should have done a double disc and included the additional interviews etc from the MK2.

And an aside. Accent who are releasing some of the most interesting titles and best executed transfers in AUstralia have some sort of bizarre attitude to their DVD product. No review copies (I am not a reviewer so that's not a conflict-issue);
They do things like get the rights to Pickpocket and whizz it through the Classification board on March 3 and then release it 5 weeks later without any pre-announcment.
They did a fantastically good release of Wong's FALLEN ANGELS last year (overseen by Wong's then best DP Chris Doyle), and dump it on the market without any pubclicity or any other Wong titles to give some sort of international competition context.

I get the feeling they are only interested in their theatrical releasing arm and are simply a Melbourne-bound private boys club as far as DVD goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:10 am 

Apparently Accent has some Bergman releases on the way. I wonder how they'll stack up against the Criterions, MGMs and Tartans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:47 am 

They have already released PERSONA and FANNY AND ALEXANDER (movie version) I own both and they both look superb - I can't remember what is next? (I'm not a Bergmaniac.)

Just an aside but the Accent print of PERSONA includes the very quick few frames of an erection (possibly a drawing) in the opening montage. I had never seen it before (obviously frequently cut before the 70s 80s) and I don't know if it's in the MGM print. This edition also includes a shot I had never seen before of Liv Ullman upside down in the ELektra makeup in CU in the late scene when Bibi quits the beachhouse. Again never seen before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:02 am 
Take a chance you stupid ho

You may want to turn this into an Accent thread. Last month's release of 'A Heart in Winter' had a divine transfer at a very reasonalble price (AU$24.95). Watched in 5 times already over the past couple of weeks with a bottle of gin always at the ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:16 am 
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

flixyflox wrote:
the Accent print of PERSONA includes the very quick few frames of an erection (possibly a drawing) in the opening montage. I had never seen it before (obviously frequently cut before the 70s 80s) and I don't know if it's in the MGM print. This edition also includes a shot I had never seen before of Liv Ullman upside down in the ELektra makeup in CU in the late scene when Bibi quits the beachhouse. Again never seen before.

They both are in the MGM print.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:24 am 

Milles mercis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:04 pm 

Annie Mall wrote:
flixyflox wrote:
the Accent print of PERSONA includes the very quick few frames of an erection (possibly a drawing) in the opening montage. I had never seen it before (obviously frequently cut before the 70s 80s) and I don't know if it's in the MGM print. This edition also includes a shot I had never seen before of Liv Ullman upside down in the ELektra makeup in CU in the late scene when Bibi quits the beachhouse. Again never seen before.

They both are in the MGM print.

The erection pic is in the Tartan, but the Upside-down Elektra one? I can't remember...

Anyway, I'm happy I bought the Tartan Persona - I wouldn't have wanted to wait another year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:53 am 

THe CU of Liv occurs in a quick cut away as Bibi is leaving the beach house. Bergman actually shoots it with a crane/dolly reminiscent of the famous shot from Minelli's BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL!! I can't believe he was doing a conscious homage!
Also fine transfer is LA BELLE NOISEUSE (from the Beaver caps looks like a port of either the R2 France or Brit R2 release.) They also, of course had some sort of agreement with Eureka , pre MoC to release their titles and did M and SUNRISE (which I don't like as a transfer, Commented on elsewhere but they have squeezed all the extras plus movie onto one DVD 9 disc and several shots of Charles Farrell wandering into the glade to meet "the City Woman" are full of macro-blockinmg artefacts. )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:00 am 

devlinnn wrote:
Last month's release of 'A Heart in Winter' had a divine transfer at a very reasonalble price (AU$24.95).

Where can it be purchased online (safely)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:28 pm 

Always reliable etailer is:

www.ezydvd.com.au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:14 pm 

flixyflox, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:55 pm 
THE INNOCENTS (AV Channel, May 30)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:47 pm 
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

Mister Zob wrote:

OMG! It's really true!

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/779661

About time, mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:27 pm 
Waster of Cinema

Quote:

Yeah, I heard about this and have pre-ordered it from Ezy. Amazing surprise. THe BFI apparently now own the British rights to the film and a new print is to make the rounds this year, followed by a DVD! But the R4 has a nice price and have been aching to to see this film in OAR for a long time, now.

Last edited by Gordon on Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:03 am 
Gordon McMurphy wrote:
THe BFI apparently now own the British rights to the film and a new print is to make the rounds this year, followed by a DVD!

Opening now owns the rights for France. I guess Fox decided to license out this title... What about a Criterion release for R1, then ? Unless Fox US kept it for their Studio Classics collection...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:37 am 
Waster of Cinema

A Criterion of The Innocents would be a gift from the Gods! I hope it happens, although, I'm sure Fox will keep for themselves in R1. It's an amazing film and for years, its absence on DVD has perplexed me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:25 pm 

Tokyo Story, released by AV Channel (R4), 15th June.

Features
* Tokyo Ga
* I Lived, But...
* Talking with Ozu
* Photo Gallery
* Trailer

All on one disc, supposedly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:40 pm 

Will this be like the again-postponed LA CHINOISE with two hours of extras?
I don't mean to be unkind about AVChannel but their past record is pretty uneven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:57 pm 

Quote:
Will this be like the again-postponed LA CHINOISE with two hours of extras?

Well, all this film adds up to over six hours. Who knows....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:03 pm 

Here's an AVChannel success story (I thought I had already psoted this but my disintegrating brain is in need of ultra-rez threapy.)
According to Anthony Clarke for dvd.net.au the R4 AVChannel release of THE LEOPARD is a PAL Hidef master licenced from Criterion. Two disc set also includes the Visconti doco and odds and sods but obviously not the Fox Scope version. Anthony is very impressed with the transfer (although no review up yet.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:55 pm 

devlinnn wrote:
Tokyo Story, released by AV Channel (R4), 15th June.

Features
* Tokyo Ga
* I Lived, But...
* Talking with Ozu
* Photo Gallery
* Trailer

All on one disc, supposedly.

What is this?!

Then again, it all boils down to how the transfer stacks up... Is there a chance that AV Channel licenced this from Criterion? It has the extras (would the Dresser commentary be included), plus the Wenders doco! And I've just purchased the Criterion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:41 pm 

I believe they're reprocessing everything as Pixelvision so they can fit it on a single disc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1645 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 66  Next