Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema

#76 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Is my Volume 1 worth enough to pay for grad school yet?
I was under the impression owning it was grad school. Does this mean I need to stop referring to myself as Doctor?

drdoros

#77 Post by drdoros » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:31 pm

Definitely, if the DNC Platform listens to Bernie Sanders. Not as much otherwise.

djvaso

#78 Post by djvaso » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:49 pm

There is a report that Volume 2 is already out.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#79 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Milestone posted several cryptic items on its social media in the past few days, so I imagine they're en route to the states now

TheDoug

#80 Post by TheDoug » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Volume 2 was just released officially via their official webpage: http://store.mspresents.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kekid

#81 Post by kekid » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:49 pm

Has Milestone posted this yet for orders?

feihong

#82 Post by feihong » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:54 pm

I don't see it up on their site yet. I got my first set direct from the mspresents website, but for this second one they don't ship to the U.S. anymore. I guess we are waiting for Milestone, then.

TheDoug

#83 Post by TheDoug » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:03 pm

feihong wrote:I don't see it up on their site yet. I got my first set direct from the mspresents website, but for this second one they don't ship to the U.S. anymore. I guess we are waiting for Milestone, then.
Like you, I originally got my first set directly from Poland. Now we're all playing the waiting game. I believe that Volume 3 will be out in October.

RobertB

#84 Post by RobertB » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:04 pm

Volume 2 says Wyprzedane (sold out) on the mspresents site. I hope they just mean they don't have it in stock. Otherwise I have to buy it from USA and then have it shipped back to Europe. ](*,)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#85 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:06 pm

I don't think Milestone will ship it internationally.

L.A.

#86 Post by L.A. » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:34 pm

If the second set is already sold out then whoa. Probably awaiting stock methinks.

dda1996a

#87 Post by dda1996a » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:37 pm

I doubt it already sold out. I just received an email from them today saying it's up, and vol. 1 is still on stock. Plus there are no pictures of vol. 2 so I just think it's not yet finalized on their site. Or so I hope

apriori

#88 Post by apriori » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:14 pm

I *really* hope this hasn't sold out. I was lucky enough to grab the first set and have been checking online daily for months in anticipation of vol. 2. I've yet to receive an email stating that vol. 2 is up for sale, so hopefully the current listing is incorrect.

zedz

#89 Post by zedz » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:43 pm

dda1996a wrote:I doubt it already sold out. I just received an email from them today saying it's up, and vol. 1 is still on stock. Plus there are no pictures of vol. 2 so I just think it's not yet finalized on their site. Or so I hope
I successfully ordered the set yesterday. I couldn't find any ordering link up on their site when I checked last week, and I doubt they've sold out their entire run in a couple of days, so I assume this is just a temporary glitch.

L.A.

#90 Post by L.A. » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:01 am

Unique set of 8 films from Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema series. All in pristine quality, digitally restored and mastered for Blu Ray, with English and French subtitles and additional features. All in bespoke box - second from series of three to perfectly fit on your shelf.
Is it the Scorsese intros again or maybe something else this time?

drdoros

#91 Post by drdoros » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:23 pm

250 boxes of Volume 2
50 more boxes of Volume 1.

They are here and online. :-)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#92 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:25 pm

Where?

drdoros

#93 Post by drdoros » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Only on the Milestone website...

http://milestonefilms.com/products/mart ... a-volume-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#94 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Now that the US release has been announced: Please use the Milestone thread to discuss shipping, stock amounts, and sale status of these sets for North American customers. This thread is for general availability inquiries and (still nascent) discussion of the films within the sets

Ged Parsons

#95 Post by Ged Parsons » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:24 pm

Volume 2 of the 8xBD sets of 'Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema' is now available from the dedicated website ...

http://store.mspresents.com/screen/allproducts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only other outlet I know of that sells these is Milestone, which is only for USA and Canada customers.

There are 8 films in each set - barebones presentation, but new restorations.

These sets are very limited - I think it's 250 copies for Europe, and 250 for USA and Canada.

The website is now doing a 'bundle' of the first 2 volumes, at a slight discount - PLN 899 (£180) for 2 volumes,
as opposed to PLN 499 (£100) for one. The cheapest postage, from Poland to the UK for 2 volumes, is PLN 65 (about £13).

They will probably sell out pretty quickly!

L.A.

#96 Post by L.A. » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:39 am

Just been wondering the past couple days whether some of the films are released individually. Sure wish Knights of the Black Cross gets a single BD release from the second set but if a UK-label puts it out it will most likely be cut.

The third set includes Knife in the Water which will be included in Screenbound's forthcoming Polanski Collection.

jsteffe

#97 Post by jsteffe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:02 pm

L.A. wrote:Sure wish Knights of the Black Cross gets a single BD release from the second set but if a UK-label puts it out it will most likely be cut.
I saw the DCP of the restoration, and it's a mixed bag. The color is far better than anything we have been able to see for ages, but it appears to me that the source materials were likely in poor condition. The main problem I have with the restoration is that they went overboard with automated dust and damage removal. During the climactic battle scene, it creates quite visible artifacts with the dust clouds and movement of horses' hooves. That said, I am very much looking forward to the Blu-ray version.

Several of these other Polish restorations are likewise overly cleaned up to varying degrees, though others turned out beautifully. I get the sense that the restoration firm is still learning the best way to work with digital tools. While I still think that some of the restorations could have been done better, I'm grateful to have all of these films on Blu-ray. There are some genuine rediscoveries in the sets.

chiendent

#98 Post by chiendent » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Shame to hear that the restoration isn't ideal but Knights of the Black Cross is probably going to be the first one I watch from the set, sounds right up my alley. Have these restored films toured much? I'm only aware of the New York retrospective.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#99 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:22 pm

It's still going to be 100 times better than the Second Run DVD (through no fault of theirs).

MichaelB

#100 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:49 pm

There are several restoration firms in Poland, and some are more respectful than others. The worst I've seen to date is Days of Matthew, which makes Predator seem like a model of good grain management.

But, as said above, when they get it right the results can be superb.