All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1226 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 am

Look up "TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver, 2-in-1 Wireless"-- it's what I use and it hooks up to the audio hookups on your TV, so all connected devices will work. You'll prob need an adapter for the audio cords depending on your TV

cmleidi

#1227 Post by cmleidi » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:46 pm

I have a two-part question. I have a Seiki region free blu-ray player. Model SR4KP1. I only use it to play region 2 discs. It just stopped playing anything. I will put a disc in, but nothing shows up on the t.v.--not the home screen and not an error. I changed hdmi cords. Didn't work. Connected it to another t.v. and nothing happened either. I know sometimes region-free players won't show up because of a certain hdmi or color setting, but I've tried all the settings I can think of and nothing works. Has anyone had this problem? Or any suggestions?

If this can't be problem solved, does anyone have recommendations for a region-free player that will be modified out of the box so I can just use it to play my region 2 blu-rays and dvds?

#1228 Post by 371229 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Sounds like a laser problem. If you put a disc in and you can hear the player running but there is nothing on the screen (it's black with no message), then the laser is not working properly. Unless you can open the player up and fix the laser, it's only good for recycling at this point. I have the same Seiki player and mine still works. I have had it for 3 years now and keep expecting its life expectancy to expire. Yet it keeps working like a champ.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1229 Post by Drucker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:35 pm

I am looking to have a set-up where I have two blu-ray players: one set to A, one to B, at all times. I was lucky enough to buy a new OPPO-203 this time last year from 220 electronics, so I'm ready to set that to B.

I would like to repair my "on the fritz" BDP-93 which is having trouble getting past to the load screen. Unfortunately, I keep having back and forths with OPPO where they ask questions about what's wrong, and now I'm thinking it may be more cost-effective to get a bare-bones REGION A BD player.

So first: can I just get any generic Panasonic player, still, and get a decent BD picture?
Second: I assume repairing an Oppo will be more expensive than this?
Third: (and this is really basic): my receiver isn't very modern, and only has RCA inputs. Given this, I assume, I can just get an DIGITAL OUT>RCA cable and have the audio operate that way with no problem, correct?

Adam X

#1230 Post by Adam X » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:34 pm

1. Yeah, from what I’ve seen, Panasonic players tend to be pretty decent, so long as it’s just a BD player. I’ve used a Panasonic digital video recorder/BD Player combo unit that has a horrible interface & a hamstrung remote due to the added functionality.

2. entirely depends on the cause of your issue, but it’s likely

3. I’d imagine you’d need a box inbetween to convert the digital signal to analogue.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1231 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:54 am

Drucker -- Your post is unclear (to me at least). Which unit is malfunctioning -- the Panasonic or the Oppo? Or both?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1232 Post by Drucker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:59 am

Oppo 93, so I am thinking of getting a basic Panasonic for region A

fdm

#1233 Post by fdm » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:59 am

I think Oppo still does repairs for a relatively inexpensive flat fixed rate. Not sure what the back and forths are about. Just ask them how much to send it in and have them fix it. (You'll have to ship it to them out of your pocket. Flat-Rate Repair Service for Out-of-Warranty OPPO Products)

I had Panasonic players before going with Oppo for my Region A playback, probably okay for your region A purposes. Hard to say what cables you would need, might require some improvisation depending on how many rca inputs your talking about (2 channel, 5 channel, etc) and how you hook your tv up to the player or the receiver.

Morbii

#1234 Post by Morbii » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:03 am

IIRC, last time I asked them it was $100 to send in to repair my old 981-HD about a year and a half ago, which is what I'd paid for it some 10y earlier. So I ditched it and bought a R0 BD player instead. So, that's a reasonable guess as to how much it could cost.

J Wilson

#1235 Post by J Wilson » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:09 pm

Is there any consensus on a 4K all region BR/DVD player that also handles SACDs? The Oppos that are still out there are insanely priced and while I'd like one to replace my current Oppo, I'm not spending that much.

Mitt Outsound

#1236 Post by Mitt Outsound » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:49 pm

Drucker wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Third: (and this is really basic): my receiver isn't very modern, and only has RCA inputs. Given this, I assume, I can just get an DIGITAL OUT>RCA cable and have the audio operate that way with no problem, correct?

I'm assuming that you are already using an Oppo player (either the BDP-93 or the 203) with your older receiver and that you are using the RCA analog outputs on the Oppo to the RCA analog inputs on your receiver. And that question three is in regard how to deal with the audio output on your proposed region A player. And if it's a generic Panasonic player, it most likely does not feature RCA analog outputs.

Perhaps I can offer another option on how to stream your audio to your receiver from your region A player (either your repaired BDP-93 or a new Panasonic).

My current set-up uses an older pre-HDMI receiver and an Oppo 103 as my main bluray player. I use the Oppo 103 to decode the various digital audio formats, convert the audio from digital to analog, and output the multi-channel analog audio using RCA audio cables from the Oppo RCA outputs to my receiver.

I connect additional disc players in my set-up using the HDMI Input on the back of the Oppo 103. For example: I connect my Samsung HD-DVD player using an HDMI cable from the output on the Samsung to the input on the Oppo. This streams both the video and audio from the Samsung through the Oppo to my TV and my receiver. This also allows me to use the video processor in the Oppo to improve the video from the Samsung and it also decodes the digital audio format from the Samsung and converts it from digital to analog and outputs it to my receiver via the RCA cables. The Oppo does not passively pass the video/audio directly through. The video/audio is effected by how I've set-up my Oppo. In order to watch the Samsung I need to power up the Oppo and use the Input select button on the remote to select HDMI IN. Since I have a satellite DVR and two additional disc players I use an HDMI switcher between these devices and the Oppo (my switcher is 4 inputs going to 1 output)

In your situation the Oppo 203 has an HDMI Input on the back. So hook-up an HDMI cable from the HDMI Output on your region A player to the HDMI Input on the 203. You can then play around with the set-up features of both the 203 and the region A player to see what works best. The only inconvenience is that you need to power up both players and use the Oppo remote to select HDMI IN.

trevor_bartram

#1237 Post by trevor_bartram » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:16 pm

I'm on my second Seiki, the first one's laser failed after several years use (played <50 discs), the second one is two years old and played <30 discs. My question is:
1. What new player to replace it with if it fails (as Seiki or Orei are no longer available)? I'd prefer a player without hardware modification if possible (like the Seiki).
2. If I have have to buy a hardware modified player, which of the available regular Blu-ray players have the best reliability record?
3. Which of the player modifier companies (220 Electronics, Bombay, Code Free) has proven to be the best?
Thanks in advance, Trevor.
P.S. for those just requiring a DVD all region player there are several around $30 available at Amazon. I have the LONPOO bought in 2018 but it's not ideal, it doesn't output 4:3 correctly on a 16:9 TV however this is easily corrected at the TV. I see there's an updated 2019 model perhaps they've fixed that minor quibble?

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#1238 Post by Godot » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:53 pm

Hi Trevor, we posted some replies to these questions on page 48 of this thread, as well as on page 50. I am still using my 220-Electronics-modified Sony BDP-S6500 blu-ray players, fairly reliable, easy to use, great A/V feed. They freeze up once every 8 months or so (and they are used daily for estimated average 2 hours), and I reboot them with a hard unplug from the wall. We also use them occasionally for streaming content but they aren't as seamless as the Rokus. I've had both for 3-4 years, and the company was very easy to buy from, good customer service (and periodic 10-15% off sales).

Minkin

#1239 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm

I can't get my region free player (from 220 electronics) to change blu-ray regions. I'll hit "blue" + "2" all day but nothing will happen.

I think my best bet is to just get a Region B bluray player (I dont own any Region C discs, nor do I plan on getting any). Does anyone know a cheapest way of acquiring a Region B player?

Last time I checked, Amazon UK doesnt ship bluray players to the US, is that still the case?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1240 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 pm

There are sellers selling them on Amazon Marketplace but fulfilled by Amazon. Just search for region free Blu-ray players. I saw some for like $120, maybe less, when I was looking for a new player a month ago

artfilmfan

#1241 Post by artfilmfan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:59 pm

Minkin wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm
I can't get my region free player (from 220 electronics) to change blu-ray regions. I'll hit "blue" + "2" all day but nothing will happen.
Try to press and hold the blue button until you hear the beeping sound and then press “2”. After that, you might hear one more beep to let you know that the change has taken place. That’s how it works on my OPPO player that I ordered from them years ago.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1242 Post by Drucker » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:03 pm

Minkin wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm

I think my best bet is to just get a Region B bluray player (I dont own any Region C discs, nor do I plan on getting any). Does anyone know a cheapest way of acquiring a Region B player?

Last time I checked, Amazon UK doesnt ship bluray players to the US, is that still the case?
FWIW, I have two players, one region free I just 'leave' on B, and the other on A.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1243 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:07 pm

I do the same, and I have internet turned off on the region B one so it can’t update anything to stop the functionality

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1244 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:26 pm

I ended up buying a region B locked LG from Amazon UK (with a plug adapter) that could conveniently be unlocked to be region free for DVDs. I think it came to $60 with shipping. Have no idea if you can order it now, though, with the restrictions. I just used my UHD player for region A now.

Minkin

#1245 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I initially had the Sherwood - which worked fine for years until it one day refused to turn on. Now I have the 220 Electronics / Bombay modded region free player - which craps out from time to time, but mostly works fine. Its just super annoying to have a functioning bluray player that's supposed to be region free, and nothing I do can make it play a Region B bluray (I just wanted to watch Penda's Fen, jeeze). I know it worked in the past using the blue + 2 combination, but it just won't work now.

I found a UK bluray player on Ebay for around the price of a new region free player. I was hoping there'd be something around $75, but I guess this is the price one has to pay to get things to work.

Oddly enough, I couldn't find "normal" bluray players on Amazon UK -as they all seem to be different (more expensive) versions of region free players. Like where do people in the UK pick up a 50 quid LG player? I remember MoC's twitter telling us to just "buy a UK bluray player" but where does one do that? Is the quarantine preventing certain things from being sold on Amazon UK?

ianthemovie

#1246 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:03 pm

For what it's worth, my Sony BDP-S3700 has never done me wrong. You push one button and it switches to Region B, push another and it switches back to A. Currently $165 on Amazon.com.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1247 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:11 pm

My Sony all-region (I forget the series number, I've had it for too long) switches from A to B by pushing 1 or 2 but the player has to be turned off for it to work. In case something like that is at play for you Minkin.

I'll second Sony as being extremely dependable. I had an earlier one that lasted many years, and this one now too has been with me for 5-6 years or so and never gave me a single problem. They were each about $200 Canadian. I'll stick to Sony whenever it's time to get a new one again.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1248 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:12 pm

Pursuant to another discussion I've had here, I think I'm looking to go region-free (which was probably an inevitability anyhow). Given that 4K discs are reasonably popular now, I figured whatever player I get might as well be a 4K one too. Given those conditions, what is the cheapest option for a region-free, 4K blu-ray player? Should I buy from 220-Electronics or is there a better storefront to shop from?

therewillbeblus

#1249 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:23 pm

Pretty sure all region free players need to be hacked to unlock the region-locked function so they won’t sell them in stores. I’ve only bought from 220electronics, and have found cheap options there that last a while, but never looked for 4K.

criterionsnob

#1250 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 am

I recently upgraded my old (and well loved) Seiki Blu-ray player to a Sony UBP-X800M2 4K UHD player. It’s from 220 Electronics, and only requires one button push to change Blu-ray regions, and automatically plays any region of DVD without a code. I’m very happy with it so far and recommend it.