Essentials from Germany

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
L.A.

Re: Essentials from Germany

#201 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:54 am

Eolomea (Herrmann Zschoche, 1972) was released on Blu-ray last month. I understand it has English subs but can anyone confirm is this true?

Paul Petit

#202 Post by Paul Petit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:22 pm

L.A. wrote:Eolomea (Herrmann Zschoche, 1972) was released on Blu-ray last month. I understand it has English subs but can anyone confirm is this true?
I wouldn't expect the BR to feature English subtitles. As far as I can see, none of the German web ressources is mentioning any subtitles, and Icestorm is not known for adding subtitles of any kind to their discs. And I also can't remember any subtitles on the German Icestorm DVD which leads me to the conclusion that the English review, which can be found on the website you've linked to, most likely refers to a different DVD, maybe to an old First Run edition from 2005.

Paul Petit

#203 Post by Paul Petit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:36 pm

L.A. wrote:Eolomea (Herrmann Zschoche, 1972) was released on Blu-ray last month. I understand it has English subs but can anyone confirm is this true?
Oh dear, I shouldn't have raised my head here. I read on a bit, came across Icestorm's new homepage and had to read here that the Blu Ray would really include English subtitles. Well then, I haven't seen the disc and I won't do it in the nearest future.

L.A.

#204 Post by L.A. » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Paul Petit wrote:
Oh dear, I shouldn't have raised my head here. I read on a bit, came across Icestorm's new homepage and had to read here that the Blu Ray would really include English subtitles. Well then, I haven't seen the disc and I won't do it in the nearest future.
Since the site promised "Untertitel: Englisch", took the gamble and ordered it. Received the disc and checked; the feature film has EN subs but unfortunately not the interviews (including one from the director).

Aunt Peg

#205 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:16 am

Complete works of Ulrich Seidl from 1980 to 2017 is available in Germany for around 200 euros. English subtitles are included as well as an interview with John Waters who is a big fan (surprise, surprise) of Siedl.

DVD only I'm afraid but a great opportunity to fill in all the missing gaps.

Paul Petit

#206 Post by Paul Petit » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:15 am

Very spectacular - and obviously English-friendly and export-oriented - DVD box set with African films engaging with the struggles against colonialism, which will be released by Filmgalerie 451 in cooperation with the Arsenal institute somewhat later this month: link.

McCrutchy

#207 Post by McCrutchy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:16 am

Paul Petit wrote:Very spectacular - and obviously English-friendly and export-oriented - DVD box set with African films engaging with the struggles against colonialism, which will be released by Filmgalerie 451 in cooperation with the Arsenal institute somewhat later this month: link.
Ah, so this is what Arsene Wenger has been focused on that they have dropped out of the top four. No wonder, I didn't know he was trying to bring culture to the Premier League!

In all seriousness, the release does look great. Here it is on Amazon.de, where it has a €17,98 price, and an April 13th, 2018 release date (though I'd suppose ordering direct would get it sooner):

https://www.amazon.de/dp/3946274145

Lost Highway

#208 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:11 am

I had not realised David Lean‘s Summertime is out on blu-ray in Germany ( the German title is Traum meines Lebens/Dream of my Life) and judging from this, it looks good:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11557&d2=11556&c=4563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just ordered it and not because I'm a Lean completest but because this actually is my favorite film of his.

Pepsi

#209 Post by Pepsi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:37 am

Even tough it looks better than the old DVD, i'm sure it's a open matte print, and it should be in widescreen without the headroom above the actors.

Lost Highway

#210 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:15 am

Pepsi wrote:Even tough it looks better than the old DVD, i'm sure it's a open matte print, and it should be in widescreen without the headroom above the actors.
I don’t know of a DVD/BD release of the film which had an aspect ratio other than 1:33. I’ve seen this argument in regard to aspect ratio about several mid-50s movies which was a transitional period. From what I understand films were matted for some theatres and not for others, depending on their set up.

In any case, even if the only correct ratio is a wider one, this is the only option. Even the Criterion DVD framed this at 1:33. I’d rather have this than wait for a release at the ”correct” aspect ratio which may never materialise. It‘s just arrived I’ll probably watch it tonight.

tenia

#211 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:02 am

Keep in mind that it looks to be an older HD master, which while better than the old DVD, might need an update, and maybe this will generate a review of what is the appropriate AR (which, as I understand, wasn't particularly the case in the past).

Lost Highway

#212 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:39 pm

tenia wrote:Keep in mind that it looks to be an older HD master, which while better than the old DVD, might need an update, and maybe this will generate a review of what is the appropriate AR (which, as I understand, wasn't particularly the case in the past).
True, but for that it looks surprisingly good and it is a noticeable upgrade over the DVD. As to the framing, it is the case that there is a lot of headroom, but at least you get to see more of Venice. :D

The film itself is a great vehicle for Hepburn who does slightly uptight vulnerability so well. She gives one if her most understated performances here. I far prefer this to Lean’s more celebrated romance, Brief Encounter.