New Australian DVD and BD Releases

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Rufus T. Firefly

#51 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:20 pm

King of Kong wrote:You wouldn't have happened to have viewed the AV Channel La Strada, flixy?
DVD.net gave it a positive review, though I've grown a little leery of AV/Madman, what with their butchering of the Studio Gibli catalogue...
I've seen it. An excellent high-definition transfer, presumably taken from the Criterion but not an NTSC to PAL transfer. It also has two 50+ minute documentaries all crammed onto a single DVD9, but only the extras seem to have any compression artefacts.

I can also recommend the I Vitelloni from Umbrella, distributed through AV Channel. It's a bit jumpy at times but a sharp and detailed transfer. The sound is very good too. I have their Il Bidone as well but have not watched it yet.

King of Kong

#52 Post by King of Kong » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Archie Leach wrote: I've seen it. An excellent high-definition transfer, presumably taken from the Criterion but not an NTSC to PAL transfer. It also has two 50+ minute documentaries all crammed onto a single DVD9, but only the extras seem to have any compression artefacts.
Interesting. I wonder how the package compares with the Criteron edition. Let's hope Gary finds a copy.

Apparently AV Channel have included an audio commentary from an Aussie scholar.

devlinnn

#53 Post by devlinnn » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:04 pm

Apparently AV Channel have included an audio commentary from an Aussie scholar.
The very much loved and respected Paul Harris, film critic and host of a weekly local radio program devoted to film for the past 1,000 years. Sadly, the commentary is an idiot's guide to Fellini.

Solaris

#54 Post by Solaris » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:13 am

The new La Dolce Vita DVD will hopefully contain the correct ratio, unlike the previous release by AV Channel.

Stomp will be releasing Un Chien Andalou on September 19.

devlinnn

#55 Post by devlinnn » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:35 pm

Upcoming Sony (and now MGM) (r4)

17/8
SHOT IN THE DARK, A
AFTER THE FOX
PINK PANTHER, THE
PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN, THE
REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER
TRAIL OF THE PINK PANTHER
WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT

COMES A HORSEMAN
GERONIMO
INDIAN FIGHTER
MAN OF THE WEST
INVITATION TO A GUNFIGHTER
RETURN OF THE MAN CALLED HORSE
VALDEZ IS COMING
SCALPHUNTERS, THE

24/8
PARTRIDGE FAMILY, THE: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON - 25 EPISODES
PINK PANTHER CARTOON COLLECTION
PARTY, THE SE
FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE CE
FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, A CE

BITE THE BULLET
PROFESSIONALS, THE
HELLCATS OF THE NAVY
INDIAN RUNNER, THE
BUCK AND THE PREACHER
DEVIL'S OWN, THE
TAILOR OF PANAMA

7/9
THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER, THE
IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND

14/9
MAN OF LA MANCHA

21/9
ANATOMY OF A MURDER
ODESSA FILE, THE
HORSEMEN, THE

devlinnn

#56 Post by devlinnn » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:54 pm

Oh, and on the grapevine there have been rumblings about Universal losing the Studio Canal catalogue in R4. Now that's alot of titles - The Third Man is already deleted. Those wanting Cross of Iron and Accident for $10 might want to get a move on.

King of Kong

#57 Post by King of Kong » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:15 am

Specs for AV Channel Down By Law are up

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalo ... aseId=5137

Looks set to be almost identical to the Criterion. And it's on 2 discs as well, which should mean no compression artefacts.

editman

#58 Post by editman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:47 am

flixyflox wrote:... undoubtedly later DVD release
Judging from that I can say you have never been to the Sexpo, or else you'll know you can get DT on DVD for $5. :twisted:

Still, an official remastered DVD release will be great.

Gordon

#59 Post by Gordon » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:07 am

AV Channel in Australia are releasing Hal Hartley's, Trust on 31st August:

http://www.avchannel.com.au/CatIndex.ph ... =AZTEC5016

Long-awaited by many.

Rufus T. Firefly

#60 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:11 am

devlinnn wrote:
6 Disc Herzog Collection (AV Channel)
Avoid, avoid. AV look to be using their old, dreadful, English dubbed copy of Aguirre, Wrath of God instead of providing the original German.
I received this set today. All of the films have German soundtracks, including Aguirre, with My Best Fiend and Woyzeck having stereo tracks and the others 5.1 tracks. Several of them also have alternative English soundtracks.

In other R4 news:

- dvd.net have closed their site, apparently due to a lack of reviewers and interest.
- Umbrella have severed ties with Madman, who will no longer be distributing their releases. I hope this is good news for Umbrella, who have been releasing some good stuff lately.

devlinnn

#61 Post by devlinnn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:31 am

Umbrella have severed ties with Madman, who will no longer be distributing their releases. I hope this is good news for Umbrella, who have been releasing some good stuff lately.
But doesn't AV Channel distribute both Umbrella and Madman anyway?

Great news on the Herzog, thanks Archie. Looks like new prints were struck for the previously released titles.

Rufus T. Firefly

#62 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:35 am

AV Channel is owned by Madman. The announcement that they are ceasing the arrangement with both is here.

Rufus T. Firefly

#63 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:44 am

I hope it means that Umbrella's quality control improves, but I won't hold my breath. It can't be good news for AV Channel, with a significant revenue stream lost to them. Umbrella's website is now barebones and there's no mention of a new distribution deal.

At least they haven't been taken over by Image.

devlinnn

#64 Post by devlinnn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:04 pm

I hope it means that Umbrella's quality control improves
Considering Shock have now taken over distibution of Umbrella, I doubt any improvement.

solent

#65 Post by solent » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:34 am

solent

#66 Post by solent » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:16 pm

With less than 5% of Australian 'made' DVDs in my collection I wouldn't dream of trying Flixyfox.

My next stop will be Secondrun's new releases from the UK. The DVD Times review of LAND OF THE DEAF is newly posted and it is positive. I can now throw out my SBS-taped copies of MOTHER JOANNA, THE EAR, INTIMATE LIGHTING, etc...

Solaris

#67 Post by Solaris » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:24 pm

Does anybody know why MGM is now owned by Sony Pictures, and what this exactly means?

Wednesday 23 November Warner Bros. will be releasing King Kong (1933) in a 2disc set.
Special Features -
Featurette 1: "Stop-Motion Wizardry" (approx. 15 mins) - A documentary on how stop-motion animation breakthroughs were achieved on "King Kong". This will be demonstrated using original and replica armatures of Kong and the dinosaurs. This edited piece would include interviews with film historians, visual effects artists and animators, voice-over narration, stills, and a demo done by "The Lord of the Rings" Animation Supervisor Randy Cook and stop-motion legend Ray Harryhausen. This piece would culminate in a recreation of one of the visual effects scenes from "King Kong" done by Randy Cook and directed by Peter Jackson.
Featurette 2: "The Mystery of the Spider Sequence" (approx. 15 mins) - This piece is a documentary in three parts that leads up to the 25-second recreation as a pay-off. The first part covers the legend of the Spider Sequence, how it supposedly appeared in the original cut of the film (Ray Bradbury saw it as a child), how it was edited out, lost for decades, rumored to exist and sought by fans and historians alike. The second part is Peter Jackson and his team taking on the job of recreating it (interviews, etc.), Weta studying the only existing photos to build the spiders and miniature environments, the NZ Miniatures Dept. shooting the sets and skilled stop-motion animators bringing the creatures to life. Finally, the third section and pay-off is the recreation cut together with sound effects and Max Steiner music.
Featurette 3: "Where is Kong Today?" (approx. 8 mins) - This documentary takes viewers on a quest to find the original Kong. We'll track down artifacts left at the old RKO lot in Culver City and be given an exclusive tour by Peter Jackson of his personal collection of hundreds of models, maquettes, glass paintings, and... Kong himself.
Interview with Peter Jackson talking about "King Kong", anecdotes about its production, its historical significance and its influence on filmmakers and filmmaking. (approx.10 mins)
Raw footage of Peter Jackson conducting a tour of his extensive collection "King Kong" memorabilia and artifacts. (approx. 60 mins un-cut)

Ezydvd will be selling it in an exclusive tin box.

King of Kong

#68 Post by King of Kong » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:34 am

I saw the AV Channel Down By Law in the shop today.

Can anyone who has seen it tell me what exactly is wrong with the transfer. I assume there's some ghosting? Anything else?

devlinnn

#69 Post by devlinnn » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:00 am

Also this must be first for Warner Oz releasing an RKO title.
Citizen Kane would be the first. Warner had to release King Kong locally, no matter the rights cost - maybe Jackson pulled a few strings as well for the New Zealand buying public.

King of Kong

#70 Post by King of Kong » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:07 am

I don't know why some of these R4 companies bother. These instances of non-anamorphic transfers and inadequate sourcing are gradually getting on my nerves. I tend to go for R1/R2 imports, but it would be nice if some of the distributors down this side of the world would put a little more love and effort into the preparation of some of their releases. I have just recently had to buy the Disney disc of Spirited Away because the ghosting on the Madman edition shows up quite distinctly on my new TV.

Sure, there have been some decent R4 DVDs - there's hardly anything wrong at all with Madman's Russian Ark, for instance, or their Betty Blue. Beggars can't be choosers, I suppose. Here's hoping michaeldvd.com gets around to reviewing the R4 Down By Law...

devlinnn

#71 Post by devlinnn » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:56 pm

All the Warner R4 Gangster titles, and Dive Bomber on fire sale at JB for $13.98 each. (You can never tell with Warner R4 - will they release, won't they release, you buy from the US and they release here the next day!!!)
You should find these everywhere at these prices - it's a Warner Father's Day promo. Same goes with the Waynes ($10), McQueens $10), Bulging Battles etc.

The James Dean stuff is next month at $19.95 each (2-disc sets)

I guess the Bette, Joan and Garbo releases will be out in time for Mother's Day next year.

Rufus T. Firefly

#72 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:29 am

devlinnn wrote:
All the Warner R4 Gangster titles, and Dive Bomber on fire sale at JB for $13.98 each. (You can never tell with Warner R4 - will they release, won't they release, you buy from the US and they release here the next day!!!)
You should find these everywhere at these prices - it's a Warner Father's Day promo. Same goes with the Waynes ($10), McQueens $10), Bulging Battles etc.
I grabbed a bunch of these. Warners have stupidly marked them on the case as 1.33:1, whereas most are anamorphic widescreen. Eg Battle of the Bulge says 1.33:1 AND "16x9 widescreen transfer", whereas on the disc it is about 2.75:1 and anamorphic. Never So Few says 1.78:1 from memory and it's actually 2.35:1. Dolts! I wonder how many people will look at the cases and not buy them because of these errors.

Solaris

#73 Post by Solaris » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:07 am

Warner have also reduced the price of some dvds that are usually $30 to only $10 such as Deliverance and The Name of the Rose.

King of Kong

#74 Post by King of Kong » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:06 am

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but is there anyone at all who can give me some details on the AV Channel Down by Law? When I asked the chap at the shop today he said there was nothing wrong with the transfer, though I wouldn't count him as a reliable source.

King of Kong

#75 Post by King of Kong » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:01 am

flixyflox wrote:Never count shop folks as reliable. I had a spirited argument with the local videoshop kid (age 22) last year arguing that the R4 (Umbrella) widescreen version of Elephant was an abortion and should be (something he had never heard of) Academy Ratio. He heatedly barked at me that everything is in widescreen now, (and you're so OLD!!!!!) You can imagine where it went from here! Dev don't even think it..
I must admit, I used alot of jargon in my discussion (anamorphic, aspect ratio, 16x9, ghosting, interleaving), which kinda left the guy looking blank. He was tending the counter at the DVD section of a very respectable outlet. Perhaps he was filling in for someone on their tea break.
Last edited by King of Kong on Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.