New Australian DVD and BD Releases

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
charal

Re: New R4 Australian Titles

#1601 Post by charal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Since the special features are the same as on the Criterion DVD / Blu I would assume the Oz blu of SOLARIS is the same transfer as Criterions.

Nadsat

#1602 Post by Nadsat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:26 am

charal wrote:Since the special features are the same as on the Criterion DVD / Blu I would assume the Oz blu of SOLARIS is the same transfer as Criterions.
Yes, I suspected that. Thanks! :D

Perkins Cobb

#1603 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Manganinnie. Taking forever, but Umbrella is still going with the Oz New Wave and its fellow travelers.

Nadsat

#1604 Post by Nadsat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:37 am

charal wrote:Since the special features are the same as on the Criterion DVD / Blu I would assume the Oz blu of SOLARIS is the same transfer as Criterions.
I have bought this and I can confirm that it is the same transfer as Criterion.

Some other remarks: no optional english subtitles (they are fixed to the image but at least they are not yellow), same extras except for the commentary track, having lossy audio (no "uncompressed audio" as stated on the back cover, no pop-up menu option.

Perkins Cobb

#1605 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:13 pm

Any idea what happened to Gillian Armstrong's High Tide? Umbrella issued a 16:9 special edition, w/Armstrong commentary & other extras, in October 2010. Now that seems to have disappeared, and there's a 2012 DVD release from some budget outfit called Payless. The DeVoteD page lists the same specs as the Umbrella, but I'm wary -- can anyone confirm it's the same edition and not some 4:3 bootleg?

Perkins Cobb

#1606 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:43 pm

New from Umbrella: The documentary The Back of Beyond (1954) and two post-New Wave titles I'm eager to see, Duigan's The Winter of Our Dreams (1981) and the David Williamson-scripted The Perfectionist (1987).

And High Tide seems to be back on the Umbrella page, as well.

david hare

#1607 Post by david hare » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:45 pm

This incredibly major release seems to be only happening in Australia. This site is currently the cheapest for the boxsets, but jbhifi.com.au also carries them and is know to ship OS.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1608 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Australia got all the Alfred Hitchcock Presents seasons too if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for the heads up!

Stephen

#1609 Post by Stephen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:46 am

Down here there was a recent announcement from Shock that their recently acquired Hollywood Gold Series will branch into Blu Ray. I have some of the releases & they are priced reasonably around the $14 - $19 mark. I have added some notes from observations made by members over at Bluray.com. General consensus so far seems to be that the three Kubrick’s are the Criterion licensed restorations (they’re credited on the presentation) & (partial) special features.

Quick link (with a few strays) http://www.screenpop.com.au/search/form ... w-releases

Thought you guys might like to see the schedule:

July 2013

Night of the Hunter
Hang ‘em High (Port of the US MGM)
Exodus
Man of the West (Port of the Koch Media)
Bandolero
Lifeboat
Devils Brigade
Boston Strangler
The Unforgiven
Masters of the Universe
The Killing/Killers Kiss
Paths of Glory
Vanishing Point

Paths of Glory Special Features (Partial port of Criterion release)
Excerpt from a 1966 audio commentary featuring critic Gary Giddens
Television interview from 1979 with star Kirk Douglas
Trailer

The Killing Special Features (Partial port of Criterion release)
Includes Bonus Feature: Stanley Kubrick's 'Killer's Kiss' (67 mins)
Excerpted Interviews With Actor Sterling Hayden From Cinema Cinemas
Trailers

Boston Strangler Special Features (Port of Carlotta Films edition)
Real Killer, Fake Nose - the documentary film Real Killer, Fake Nose offers a look at the production history of The Boston Strangler and the life and legacy of its director, Richard Fleischer. It contains interviews with Mark Fleischer (Richard Fleischer's son), director of photography Richard H. Kline, and actress Sally Kellerman (plays Dianne Cluny in the film). The documentary was directed by Robert Fischer. In English, with optional French subtitles. (30 min).
In this video piece, director William Friedkin discusses the unique qualities of The Boston Strangler, Tony Curtis' performance, Richard Fleischer's directing methods, and the real events that inspired the film. Friedkin also talks about his desire to film The Boston Strangler. In English, with optional French subtitles. (22 min).

September 2013

Midnight Lace
Doctor Doolittle
Journey to the Centre of the Earth – Speculation that this could be a port of the Twilight Time release.

david hare

#1610 Post by david hare » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:17 am

A number of these clearly cross relate to Carlotta releases this year. I am assuming these would be Region B locked?
The price point is great for locals, considering the extortionate Madman BD prices, and importing anything now from continental Europe.
Another good headsup, thx.

charal

#1611 Post by charal » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Just picked up a copy of Umbrella's CHABROL COLLECTION VOL. 2

It contains LA RUPTURE (1970)
JUST BEFORE NIGHTFALL (1971)
LES NOCES ROUGES (1972)
And INNOCENTS WITH DIRTY HANDS (1974)

The transfers are all anamorphic (apart from NIGHTFALL - set at 1.33:1) and look better than the earlier DVD releases of his late sixties period films (like LES BICHES). Apart from the blu rays of some of his early B & W films out there these are the best transfers in colour of his seventies films I have yet seen. I'm not sure of the quality of UK & US versions of these films but the reviews I could find we're not encouraging. It seems that, like the R4 version of MARAT/ SADE Australia has released these transfers first.

The only minus is the lack of menus and the use of yellow subs (something Umbrella stopped doing in recent years).

Stephen

#1613 Post by Stephen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Horror fans are very well served with the latest Shock Blu’s announced in Australia. No information on special features yet although for the non Hammer titles we may see some Blue Underground/Shout/Arrow goodies ported over.

I'm particularly happy about the Hammer titles listed as I believe these will all predate the UK releases. Not sure that Quatermass Xperiment is available in Blu anywhere else yet.

02 October 2013 (All Hammer Titles RRP $24.91)

Landing page

The Quatermass Xperiment
Frankenstein Created Women
Frankenstein & the Monster from Hell
The Witches

20th November 2013 (All RRP $19.93)

Includes artwork

Lisa & the Devil/House of Exorcism
Vampyres
Dead & Buried
Life-force
House by the Cemetery
City of the Living Dead
The Beyond
Maniac
The Burning

dolladollabill

#1614 Post by dolladollabill » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:18 pm

Shock are releasing the Sterling Hayden documentary 'Pharos of Chaos' on DVD & Blu-Ray 8th Jan 2014. Never been released anywhere in the world before now.

DVD: http://www.screenpop.com.au/dvd/pharos- ... /4486.html
Blu-Ray:http://www.screenpop.com.au/blu-ray/pha ... /4487.html

Even has special features! Thought this would be an interesting one for the film heads among us.

Nadsat

#1615 Post by Nadsat » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:33 am

david hare

#1616 Post by david hare » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:44 pm

I am way behind you, I just picked it up on this and posted on another thread! As I said there I assume it is the same superb resto tranfer as the Jap disc.

Meanwhile JB has an ourageously cheap deal going for Samson and Delilah and Eldorado and War and Peace on Blu (the first two slated for Warner/Paramount next year. Samson and El Dorado end up at 10 bucks each (that's AUD folks) and the Vidor at 18. I incur foreign postage now as a Kiwi Sheep lover of 7 bucks but I recommend all or any of these. At those prices they are no brainers to me. They are clearly ports of the European Blu Rays I mentioned some months ago (which were then only availbal in France, Italy, Spain and Germany but which are now evidently universal, exlcuding the Warner US deal. The Euro and UK prices are relatively high so I give ht etick to the OZ, and the current JBHifi deal.s (2 for 20 on 12/95 titles.) All titles are Region Free.

They may also have Hatari - didn't check - but I do not recommend anyone wastes money on what is an execrable transfer.

shaky

#1617 Post by shaky » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Dave, have you had a chance to look at any of these War and Peace blu-rays out? There's this Australian one, a French one as well, a number of others I believe. I cannot seem to find any reviews.

david hare

#1618 Post by david hare » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Yes, I mentioned it in my passing comments a few months ago. It's very good. The color palette is restrained even for mid 50s Vistavision and this is possibly not from an IB Tech source, rather a good quality Eastman but the image is very strong and detailed, very fine depth and resolution. Only Ron Smith could have made this (and the other two) any better but his kind of magic is not readily available.
And that's to say nothing of the film which is one of Vidor's very greatest. If ever you wanted a model lesson in how a very long and seeminlgy untouchable work of literature can be condensed and so expertly delivered as a pure work of film with real feeling and mise en scene, this is that picture. I wildly prefer it to the Bondarchuk for instance. And the casting is really incredibly good. Wasn't Francesco Rosi also (uncredited) co-director or Italian 2nd Unit?

Perkins Cobb

#1619 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:36 am

Umbrella has the Jack Thompson starrers The Journalist (apparently an old 4:3 master, unless that's an error) and Scobie Malone coming next year.

shaky

#1620 Post by shaky » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:11 am

Went with the German edition of WAR AND PEACE(only 23 bucks from Amazon.de) but this JB deal is nonetheless phenomenal. Thanks for the heads-up, David.

Aunt Peg

#1621 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Ned Landers little seen and little known children's film from the 1980s called Molly received its DVD premiere last week. I'm still trying to find a retailer that is stocking it.

Perkins Cobb

#1622 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:26 am

Aunt Peg wrote:Ned Landers little seen and little known children's film from the 1980s called Molly received its DVD premiere last week. I'm still trying to find a retailer that is stocking it.
Did you try the Leftorium?

Aunt Peg

Re: New Australian DVD and BD Releases

#1623 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:52 am

The Ana Kokkinos film Head On from 1998 made it's Blu Ray debut and what a disappointment it is!

All of the scenes set indoors and at night time are much darker on the Blu Ray then the DVD.

Recommendation: Keep the DVD and avoid this Blu Ray.

L.A.

#1624 Post by L.A. » Sat May 31, 2014 3:33 pm

Hopefully I can post this here...

Is Umbrella's Blu-ray of Black Robe (1991) possibly still available, or is it OOP?

Aunt Peg

#1625 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat May 31, 2014 7:04 pm

The Devil's Playground (1976) is out on Blu Ray on 4 Jun.