Powell and Pressburger (UK releases)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Message
Author
Greathinker

#51 Post by Greathinker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:49 pm

The hmv exclusive box is on sale now along with a 20% discount today only, coupon code SQ1515. Bringing the box down to £12.39.

A great deal but I'm waiting for the warner editions, the cool colors of the carltons don't sit right with me.

Guest

#52 Post by Guest » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:16 am

Gordon wrote:I'll be very interested in seeing the new Matter of Life DVD from Warner France. Sony hasn't said anything about their release in years.
I don't think that it's from Warner France. The amazon.fr website doesn't say anything, but the Institut Lumière website doesn't list AMOLAD in their DVD series.

User avatar
Kinsayder
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: UK

#53 Post by Kinsayder » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:07 am

Reviews of the new Institut Lumière editions of I Know Where I'm Going, and Peeping Tom... out on Nov 8th.

The standalone edition of A Canterbury Tale appears to have been postponed to Dec 6th.

User avatar
Ashirg
Posts: 2127
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:10 am
Location: Atlanta

#54 Post by Ashirg » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:11 pm

Here's a review of A Canterbury Tale. It also compares it to Criterion.

Greathinker

#55 Post by Greathinker » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Ashirg wrote:Here's a review of A Canterbury Tale. It also compares it to Criterion.
A bit of a disappointment, I just ordered this set from amazon and I was hoping A Canterbury Tale would be around criterion quality. What bothers me in that comparison is that on the criterion you can faintly see the clouds in the background, where on the warner it's just whiteness. Though the criterion is window-boxed and the extras look better on the warner.

User avatar
Tommaso
Posts: 4035
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:09 am

#56 Post by Tommaso » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:11 am

Greathinker wrote:Though the criterion is window-boxed and the extras look better on the warner.
Really? Admittedly, that 20 min. Tavernier piece seems very interesting, but in all likelihood it won't rival Ian Christie's excellent audio commentary. And the dvdtimes comparison indeed shows that the Criterion image is far superior.

Anonymous

#57 Post by Anonymous » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:58 pm

Amazon.fr still doesn't list any information or cover for the Oh Rosalinda! and A Matter of Life and Death release. I suppose this will be bare bones, therefore we'll have to continue to wait for a DVD that uses the new AMOLAD restoration. I wonder what those idiots at Sony are doing.
Tommaso wrote:Really? Admittedly, that 20 min. Tavernier piece seems very interesting, but in all likelihood it won't rival Ian Christie's excellent audio commentary. And the dvdtimes comparison indeed shows that the Criterion image is far superior.
I have to get every DVD release with contribution either by Tavernier or Christie. The latter does the finest audio commentaries for P&P films, but I love Tavernier's Les audaces d'un aventurier features. He's a very enthusiastic and intelligent speaker.

I have both the Criterion and Institut Lumière DVDs of Blimp which is really great because the CC has the Powell/Scorsese commentary while the French disc has Kevin Macdonald's "The Making of an Englishman" and the usual Schoonmaker/Tavernier stuff.

User avatar
Tommaso
Posts: 4035
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:09 am

#58 Post by Tommaso » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:16 pm

JLG's neighbor wrote:I have both the Criterion and Institut Lumière DVDs of Blimp which is really great because the CC has the Powell/Scorsese commentary while the French disc has Kevin Macdonald's "The Making of an Englishman" and the usual Schoonmaker/Tavernier stuff.
Ah, great to hear. As there's no Beaver comparison of "Blimp" CC vs Lumiere, can you say something about this? Most important for me would be whether the over-reddishness/pinkishness of all the faces in the Criterion version has gone in the Lumiere. On the CC, Blimp constantly looks like he has a blood pressure of 220...

User avatar
Kinsayder
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: UK

#59 Post by Kinsayder » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:43 pm

This page has a visual comparison of the Criterion, Institut Lumière and Carlton Blimps.

Anonymous

#60 Post by Anonymous » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:07 pm

Tommaso wrote:Ah, great to hear. As there's no Beaver comparison of "Blimp" CC vs Lumiere, can you say something about this? Most important for me would be whether the over-reddishness/pinkishness of all the faces in the Criterion version has gone in the Lumiere. On the CC, Blimp constantly looks like he has a blood pressure of 220...
As you can see in the comparison, the CC and the Institut Lumière used the same transfer. I'm pretty certain the "reddishness" was done on purpose and looking at this comparison I think it looks more stylistically apt. Also, the reddishness you're refering to is only visible in the bath scenes at the beginning and fits quite well because of all the steam and heat of the place.

User avatar
david hare
Posts: 6933
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:01 pm
Location: WellyYeller

#61 Post by david hare » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:22 pm

Hmm-- the Carlton's obviously too gray, but the whites on the Lumiere look too pink!

User avatar
Tommaso
Posts: 4035
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:09 am

#62 Post by Tommaso » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:07 am

Hmmm.... to me the Carlton looks much more natural, take a look at captures 4 and 8 especially. Far better rendering of the blue tones. Capture 10 even has the reddish tinge on the black and white poster in the CC and Lumiere versions. I cannot really believe it's intentional.

Anonymous

#63 Post by Anonymous » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:58 am

Institut Lumière's new "Peeping Tom" is not available seperately, right?

User avatar
Subbuteo
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:10 am
Location: Hampshire, UK

#64 Post by Subbuteo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:33 am

Greathinker wrote:I can't believe I missed out on that HMV set for £15.99, it's now almost double that at £34.99
Well if you still want it, price is now £14.99

User avatar
foggy eyes
Posts: 1072
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:58 am
Location: UK

#65 Post by foggy eyes » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:29 pm

What about this? Also here.

Black Narcissus and The Tales of Hoffman have been added to Carlton's pre-exisiting box of nine films. I'm assuming it houses the glorious Network edition of Black Narcissus as the box has been released by Granada Ventures/ITV DVD. However, this is a first for The Tales of Hoffman in the UK. Anybody picked this up? How does the individual disc compare to the Criterion?

I guess everyone interested will have picked up the original Carlton box in one of HMV's sales by now. Perhaps this is why this appears to have slipped out without any fanfare at all.

User avatar
Lino
"Without obsession, life is nothing"
Posts: 3529
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Sitting End
Contact:

#66 Post by Lino » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:06 am

That's an amazing price for 11 P&P films! I assume the discs are the current individual Carlton ones as reviewed by the Beaver, right?

The thing is, the only P&P DVD I have is CC's Peeping Tom and that 11 DVD set would be the perfect buying addition to my collection. I've been putting back buying the Criterion editions of them for no reason in particular (other than their high prices, that is) and I'm almost willing to sacrifice quality for quantity, as sinful as it may sound.

Again, has anyone picked it up and could vouch for Tales of Hoffmann and Black Narcissus?

User avatar
porquenegar
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:33 pm

#67 Post by porquenegar » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:33 am

Gordon wrote:The Network Black Narcissus is only £12.87 HERE.
It is currently only £7.99 at Amazon.uk
I just placed my order to the US for a total of £9.88.

User avatar
wiljan
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:13 am
Location: Rotterdam

#68 Post by wiljan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:51 pm

And it is currently £7.99 delivered at Play.

User avatar
Lino
"Without obsession, life is nothing"
Posts: 3529
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Sitting End
Contact:

#69 Post by Lino » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:09 pm

Just letting you guys know that I'm ordering the 11 disc set and I will report about Black Narcissus and Tales of Hoffmann when it arrives.

Great Christmas present to self, by the way! And can you think of a better way to spend Boxing Day than in the good company of the Archers?

User avatar
Subbuteo
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:10 am
Location: Hampshire, UK

#70 Post by Subbuteo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:28 pm

Lino wrote: Great Christmas present to self, by the way! And can you think of a better way to spend Boxing Day than in the good company of the Archers?
Lino, just remember when indulging in the Archers this Xmas, its okay to backtrack on previous opinions of Russell's 'the Devils' as the greatest British movie of all time! :wink:

User avatar
Lino
"Without obsession, life is nothing"
Posts: 3529
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Sitting End
Contact:

#71 Post by Lino » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:36 pm

You sly devil, you still remember that! And yes, I have seen a few P&Ps in my time but none of them had the impact on me as Russell's feverish masterpiece did. When I did that comment, it was sincere but very personal, of course.

Completely different beasts, I know and it's terribly unfair to compare them (noone should and I doubt anyone could). It's like comparing an impressionistic painting with a surrealistic one -- you just don't do that. But I do love pretty much anything the dynamic duo laid their hands on.

User avatar
Matt
Posts: 6302
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:58 pm

#72 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:39 pm

Lino wrote:And yes, I have seen a few P&Ps in my time but none of them had the impact on me as Russell's feverish masterpiece did.
I'd never thought of it until now, but I can see a clear thematic and stylistic debt owed to Black Narcissus in The Devils.

User avatar
NABOB OF NOWHERE
Posts: 1860
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Brandywine River

#73 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:59 pm

Lino wrote: And can you think of a better way to spend Boxing Day than in the good company of the Archers?
Is that because of the impending gay wedding???? (I assume you are referring to the BBC Radio 4 series).

User avatar
Lino
"Without obsession, life is nothing"
Posts: 3529
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Sitting End
Contact:

#74 Post by Lino » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:47 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Lino wrote: And can you think of a better way to spend Boxing Day than in the good company of the Archers?
Is that because of the impending gay wedding? (I assume you are referring to the BBC Radio 4 series).
Nah, I was referring to this lot over here. And here too. But you already knew that, right?

Image

Ah, just to look at that picture brings back such good memories of time past... (he said, whilst slipping into a reverie no doubt fuelled by the tea with a spot of milk he had just sipped).

User avatar
NABOB OF NOWHERE
Posts: 1860
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Brandywine River

#75 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:02 pm

Lino wrote:Ah, just to look at that picture brings back such good memories of time past... (he said, whilst slipping into a reverie no doubt fuelled by the tea with a spot of milk he had just sipped).
Wot!!?? No Madelaine??

Post Reply