New French DVDs with English subtitles

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Arn777

#26 Post by Arn777 » Fri May 19, 2006 8:18 pm

Hou Hsia Hsien's Three Times was released this week, and has English subs.

June 6th: Blaq out will release a 4 dvd box of films by Jean-Paul Civeyrac, all with English subs, which I strongly recommend.

Kinsayder

#27 Post by Kinsayder » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:47 am

Contrary to the information at Dvdfr, the Studio Canal edition of La Petite prairie aux bouleaux does have an English subtitles option.

Arn777

#28 Post by Arn777 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:57 am

The Studio Canal DVD of Alain Resnais "Coeurs" that just came out in France has English subs.

Kinsayder

#29 Post by Kinsayder » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:59 pm

...as does Ne le dis à personne, a neat little Chabrol-esque thriller by Guillaume Canet.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#30 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:54 pm

Any word on the Claude Sautet DVDs Un Mauvais Fils and Les Choses de la Vie?

Kinsayder

#31 Post by Kinsayder » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:12 pm

Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:Any word on the Claude Sautet DVDs Un Mauvais Fils and Les Choses de la Vie?
Both of those titles in the Sautet box set do come with English subs. The other titles don't, though Vincent, François, Paul et les autres and Max et les ferrailleurs have English dubs.

However, this re-edition of Les Choses de la Vie does not have subs.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#32 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Yes, I know all this but can you comment on the quality of the DVDs...?

Kinsayder

#33 Post by Kinsayder » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:23 pm

They're round and shiny with a hole in the middle.

The image quality is fine, too.

Awesome Welles

#34 Post by Awesome Welles » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:00 pm

I didn't see this mentioned here but Godard's Histoire(s) du Cinema is being re-released by Gaumont on 25/07/07 with nice new cover art and English subs.

Looks like this is old news: Here is the Beaver review.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#35 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:02 pm

I'm a little surprised to see that this seems to have passed by unnoticed but Margueritte Duras' Nathalie Granger has been released by Blaq Out

Stefan Andersson

Good French-language sites for checking French R2 DVDs

#36 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri May 22, 2009 7:45 am

Hi all! Anybody want to follow releases of French DVDs? Check this French-language forum.

Top thread is the most generally relevant. "Naphthaliné" means roughly "mothballed DVDs" = old titles. Posts appear almost daily, often with advance release information. Titles are given in French, but no problem in identifying films since directors, actors, DVD covers etc. are often given also. Mankiewicz´s QUIET AMERICAN recently listed.

Threads devoted to Wild Side (lots of Japanese stuff, the MGM/UA catalogue), Bach Films (PD stuff, MCA/Universal), Carlotta (art movies) also worth a look.

The René Chateau thread is devoted to René Chateau, specialized in releases and rereleases (with new covers) of lots of French titles, 30s-70s. Most lack subs. Often letterboxed.

On top page of DVD Classik you´ll find a select number of French-language reviews of new DVDs. Good screenshots, lately of THE HEIRESS and Rappeneau´s LES MARIÉS DE L´AN II.

Another tip: FilmsActu.com - go to link at the top "DVDs", you´ll see a subdivision of links, choose "Tests R2", takes you to an often updated list of reviews of new DVDs. All types of films, not always work-friendly titles and screenshots.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Good French-language sites for checking French R2 DVDs

#37 Post by tenia » Fri May 22, 2009 11:50 am

I would like to point out that most of the French editors you quoted don't released english subtitles. Carlotta is well known for that, as Wild Side and, given to the old age of their release, René Chateau.

I don't think, except MK2, that a lot of 'arty / oldy' movies editor have english subtitles on their release (I'm French, so I have the release on my shelves ^^). Wild Side doesn't do it, as Carlotta and Bodega (the Bollywood branch of Carlotta), Neo Publishing (they have some Lucio Fulci, Mario Bava, some Gialli too), HK Video (a lot of Tsui Hark movies, along with John Woo, Chinese Ghost Stories and other stuff), Potemkine (a very good edition of Walkabout, the DC of The President's Last Bang, a new edition of the russian war film 'Come and see'). Not sure about Bach Films, though.

But among these editors, Carlotta is an excellent one. I think they are now even better than MK2 and are now the 'French Criterion'. They have the French Ozu editions, Mizoguchi, some Wilder like Love In The Afternoon, The Human Condition, and so on. They have released a few weeks ago Antonioni's 'Chung Kuo', and Pasolini's African Orestia and Salo in new versions (with each time a booklet made from reprints of press kit and/or newspapers articles) and they will release 3 Bava's movies on June 22nd (I Vampiri, I coltelli del vendicatore, and Reazione a catena).

HK Video used to do an excellent work too, but now, they don't release a lot of movies anymore and, except A/V quality (not even all the time on the past few releases), they don't do such a good work anymore (they delayed for more than a year the release of A Better Tomorrow trilogy, and they fucked up the release). But they have very good releases of Baby Cart, Hard Boiled, old Tsui Hark movies (they have the only DVD edition in the world of the uncut Don't Play With Fire).

Wild Side does a good job too, but they've chosen to release very limited movies this year (Japanese softcore erotic movies...) but they used to do a great job too (Jodorowsky, Fukasaku, Naruse, Kurosawa, along with Fritz Lang movies, they have the Welles' Macbeth).

Here are 2 'search' pages of their website.

The 'Introuvables' (which can be translated litterally by 'unfoundable' or, here, by Out of print) collection is focused on old gems. It's kind like the Criterion mission (except that we have in here a lot of movies that no one really cares about). They also release new movies, like [REC], The Orphenage, or Pan's Labyrinth (the first THX HD DVD in the world was french ^^) or Martyrs and Southland Tales.

Hope that will help some French-speaking people here.