Park Chan-wook

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Lino

#26 Post by Lino » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:00 am

Review of the korean DVD of Lady Vengeance

Lino

#27 Post by Lino » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:47 am

DVDTalk takes a look at the new korean disc for that avenging Lady we keep hearing things about:

The Invunche

#28 Post by The Invunche » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:52 am

I'm ordering that right now.

Lino

#29 Post by Lino » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:47 am

Galen Young

#30 Post by Galen Young » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:52 am

Beautiful film, gorgeous DVD set. The 'fade to black' version is an interesting variation, I liked it. Really looking forward to whatever Park cooks up with next his film, (apparently titled) I'm a Cyborg, but It's Ok. (?!!)

Lino

#31 Post by Lino » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:22 am

3 Extremes, the anthology film that united Takashi Miike, Park Chan-Wook and Fruit Chan is getting a R1 release on February, 28th and it will be a 2xDVD affair. Here is cover art and specs.
the extras will include DUMPLINGS, Chan's feature-length expansion of his EXTREMES segment, and commentary by Miike (in Japanese with subtitles) on his BOX story. The widescreen, Dolby 5.1 release will include English and Spanish subtitles; retail price for this one will be $26.98.

leo goldsmith

#32 Post by leo goldsmith » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:51 pm

Annie Mall wrote:3 Extremes, the anthology film that united Takashi Miike, Park Chan-Wook and Fruit Chan is getting a R1 release on February, 28th and it will be a 2xDVD affair.
Was this movie any good? It had a flavorsome trailer, but it struck me as a fairly craven little cash-in on the "Asia Extreme" genre (which I find pretty absurd).

zedz

#33 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:06 pm

leo goldsmith wrote:
Annie Mall wrote:3 Extremes, the anthology film that united Takashi Miike, Park Chan-Wook and Fruit Chan is getting a R1 release on February, 28th and it will be a 2xDVD affair.
Was this movie any good? It had a flavorsome trailer, but it struck me as a fairly craven little cash-in on the "Asia Extreme" genre (which I find pretty absurd).
The Miike was fairly generic (and restrained, for him). If you like Park, you'll probably like 'Cut' (I don't and didn't). Fruit Chan's 'Dumplings' is the pick of the bunch, being distinguished by absolutely gorgeous Chris Doyle cinematography. I think this may be Doyle's best work, so it's a must-see for anybody with eyes. The inclusion of the feature-length version (even better) is great news.

kazantzakis

#34 Post by kazantzakis » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:42 pm

zedz wrote:The Miike was fairly generic (and restrained, for him). If you like Park, you'll probably like 'Cut' (I don't and didn't). Fruit Chan's 'Dumplings' is the pick of the bunch, being distinguished by absolutely gorgeous Chris Doyle cinematography. I think this may be Doyle's best work, so it's a must-see for anybody with eyes. The inclusion of the feature-length version (even better) is great news.
I agree on "Dumplings", excellent little film, very Lovecraftean. Both the Miike and the Park look gorgeous, in the CELL-J.Lo kind of way...Very forgettable.

Lino

#35 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:24 pm

Apparently, the trilogy will be out first in Japan on DVD as a boxset:

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004943.html

Meanwhile, in London they're playing the 3 films on the big screen:

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004932.html

Lino

#36 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:46 pm

Not DVD related but great too - follow this link if you want to download for free the entire soundtrack for Park's new film! I already have done just that and am actually listening to it right now (bloody great it is too!). What are you waiting for - go there now!

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/005058.html

Lino

#37 Post by Lino » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:27 pm

Click here for a comparison between the Hong Kong and the Korean versions of Lady Vengeance:

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/arti ... eview.html

Galen Young

#38 Post by Galen Young » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:59 am

Fans of Three...Extremes ought to check out its predecessor Three, which includes another nice piece photographed by Chris Doyle called "Going Home", directed by Peter Chan. More subtle and creepy than over the top "extreme", but enjoyable nonetheless.

I love Dumplings -- a great stomach-churning creepfest, up there with charmers like In a Glass Cage. (I wonder what John Waters would have to say about Dumplings!) There was a wonderful little boxed package of the full-length version quite cheap at YesAsia, but it appears to be out of stock at the moment.

Lino

#39 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:44 am

Just saw Extremes on the big screen a couple of days ago with a friend who'd already seen it and he told me that they changed the order of the segments. The version we saw was: Dumplings, Cut and then Box and he said that the one he'd previously had seen was: Box, Dumplings and then Cut.

So, are there really two versions of Three...Extremes out there? One, the international one and the other, the original? What gives?

BTW, the film was gloriously over the top and sickening but it's one of the best things I've seen recently!

Lino

#40 Post by Lino » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:01 am

Beaver reviews the korean disc for Lady Vengeance:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... review.htm

Lino

#41 Post by Lino » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:47 am

Beaver comparison of Three...Extremes:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... review.htm

BTW, has anyone heard any news regarding the rumoured korean Revenge Trilogy boxset that Park Chan-Wook is reportedly working on? I'm getting very tired of waiting for it to come out and I really, really want to see Lady Vengeance again (what a glorious movie!) but I'm afraid that the curse of the impatient DVD buyer will strike down on me and as soon as I order it the boxset is announced...

Any news then?

pemmican

#42 Post by pemmican » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:00 am

Don't know if anyone lives near a Chinatown but you can find Asian pirate copies of this out there...

A.

Lino

#43 Post by Lino » Thu May 04, 2006 10:34 am

Panorama releases Lady Vengeance on the 8th of this month with a second disc of extras and both discs come fully subtitled in english:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.as ... 004230736/

Lino

#44 Post by Lino » Wed May 10, 2006 11:09 am

Well, damn me and my impatience and damn those false advertisings too!

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/006094.html

Antoine Doinel

#45 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed May 10, 2006 12:01 pm

Annie Mall wrote:Just saw Extremes on the big screen a couple of days ago with a friend who'd already seen it and he told me that they changed the order of the segments. The version we saw was: Dumplings, Cut and then Box and he said that the one he'd previously had seen was: Box, Dumplings and then Cut.

So, are there really two versions of Three...Extremes out there? One, the international one and the other, the original? What gives?

BTW, the film was gloriously over the top and sickening but it's one of the best things I've seen recently!
When I saw it on the big screen earlier this year it was in the same order you saw it in.

I really didn't like Dumplings and thought the short version (which I felt played it's already fairly obvious hand way too early) was long enough. I can't imagine sitting through a full length feature of the same story. Cut was cute, but wasn't really all that thrilling. Box was my favorite of the bunch and I really hope Miike continues to move in that dreamlike direction for his future stuff. I loved it. Creepy, weird and the ending was brilliant.

Lino

#46 Post by Lino » Wed May 17, 2006 4:18 am

UK Edition of Lady Vengeance gets a review on Beaver

Gigi M.

#47 Post by Gigi M. » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:11 am

Oldboy 3 - Disc edition coming soon.

Cinesimilitude

#48 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:48 am

Here's some hi-res art of the new tin, and a bit more info on special features.

soma

#49 Post by soma » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:22 am

That's pretty tasty. Whether to upgrade my already excellent Tartan R2 SE or not though, that is the question...

Lino

#50 Post by Lino » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:19 am

I'm waiting for reviews for the upcoming Vengeance Trilogy Boxset.