The Ken Loach Collection (R2)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Sanjuro

The Ken Loach Collection (R2)

#1 Post by Sanjuro » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:51 pm

Two nice looking Ken Loach packs out in the UK this weekend. But does anyone have any extra information about them?

Volume 1 & Volume 2

Is it a bunch of old DVDs bundled together or nice, glossy, perfect aspect ratio remasters? Personally I like my faded poor quality VHS of Kes - seems to add to the atmosphere.

No mention of subtitles either which a lot of folk seem to insist on for Ken Loach movies.

Alyosha

#2 Post by Alyosha » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:26 am

Still no news about these packages?

EDIT: I just found this. Seems as if it is the AE "Land and freedom" and MGM "Kes" for example.

Person

#3 Post by Person » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:07 am

How did Sixteen Films manage to get Kes into their set from MGM? It looks like it is the same MGM edition, judging from the pictures of the discs at DVD Times. Ho-hum. :|

Slothrop

#4 Post by Slothrop » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:03 am

What's up with these sets? Are the transfers good? I'd love to buy these. Can anybody help me out?

tryavna

#5 Post by tryavna » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:39 am

Slothrop wrote:What's up with these sets? Are the transfers good? I'd love to buy these. Can anybody help me out?
Is there more than one thread for these releases? Because it seems like I've mentioned this before.

The sets are repackagings of the existing releases of all previously released films (Kes, etc.). That means both good and bad news: the R2 MGM of Kes, for example, has a relatively weak transfer, while on the other hand you do get the now-OOP BFI disc of Cathy Come Home. You can find individual reviews for several of the individual titles over at DVD Beaver.

If you like Loach and don't already own more than a couple of these titles, then this is a no-brainer. But it's a bit of a mixed bag transfer-wise. (Also, as most folks know, many of the R2s don't have subtitles, which can be a bit of problem for those of us unfamiliar with the wide range of regional accents/dialects throughout the British Isles.)

DeprongMori

Re: The Ken Loach Collection (R2)

#6 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:13 pm

I was surprised there wasn’t a dedicated “Ken Loach” page in the Filmmakers subforum, so I’ll add this here as the film Land and Freedom can also be found in the Volume 2 release.

There is a South Korean all-region DVD release of Land and Freedom that can currently be had quite cheaply on eBay. Although it is in the correct 1.66:1 aspect ratio, it is a non-anamorphic disc. It contains no supplements. It does have both 2.0 and 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks. The picture quality is only okay.

I’m kind of shocked this film has never had a Blu-ray release. It’s a loose (uncredited) adaptation of George Orwell’s memoir Homage to Catalonia, and follows the story of a British volunteer in the Lincoln Brigade in the Spanish Civil War.