Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conject

#351 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:55 pm

MichaelB wrote:I'm massively out of the Arrow loop now, but I know they've hired at least one new full-time producer in the last few weeks - James Blackford, formerly of the BFI and in general the producer of the most Arrowesque BFI releases, so he'll be an excellent fit. And Marc Walkow's Arrow output this year seems to be as prolific as mine ever was.
I don't doubt Arrow knows at least partially what they're doing, and certainly knows that increasing so much the output means they will only be able to stretch the current resources that much, but I know it sometimes isn't as obvious at it seems, hence my concerns. But I'm glad to know it seems they are doing what is needed to avoid suffering this can of issue.

Ribs

#352 Post by Ribs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:59 pm

I expect the fact we didn't hear about a standalone release for the Rohmer discs concurrent with the release to signify they're aware it might be pushed back, as for past sets like Fassbinder and Allen those began the month after their off-cycle announcements to be concurrent with the release of the box. But generally Arrow delays their Academy sets, and that's fine, as they're putting out so many more exciting box sets then anyone else in the equation. Delays mean that, as things stand right now, we'll be getting Godard + Gorin, Three by Hirokazu Kore-eda, Four by Guitry, Four Film Noir Classics, Early Suzuki Vol. 1, and Ten by Rohmer in a four-week period.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#353 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Ribs wrote:Delays mean that, as things stand right now, we'll be getting Godard + Gorin, Three by Hirokazu Kore-eda, Four by Guitry, Four Film Noir Classics, Early Suzuki Vol. 1, and Ten by Rohmer in a four-week period.
Which isn't optimal from a sales perspective either.

Orlac

#354 Post by Orlac » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:30 am

The sheer volume of "limited edition" stuf exhausted me last year to the point where I had to go cold turkey. Aside from the vintage Japanese titles, I'm going to assume I won't be able to own the other stuff. It's just too much in a short window, and whilst we can safely assume some stuff will stay around for a couple of years, others attract scalpers.

It's great to have many wonderful releases, but I suspect some of us won't get the chance to own them.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#355 Post by tenia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:31 pm

I'll be surprised if what is everything now planned for a Nov release end up being released as scheduled.
There will be 6 new individual UK releases, 5 UK sets accounting for a total of 21 movies, 1 US Steelbook re-release, 1 individual UK release from a boxset (After The Storm) + 2 US individual ports + 2 US boxsets ports.
And this will directly be followed on Dec 11th by the Apartment LE, Carrie LE and the 10-movies Rohmer set.

I hope Arrow is very well organised.

Good thing is though : many sets are Academy ones, and so far, these don't look to sell as well as the Video ones (by far, it seems) so except maybe The Apartment, it means we'll have some time to catch up with Guitry, Rohmer, Kore-eda, Suzuki and the 4 Films noirs.

But all these releases are probably going to neutralise each other. People only can spend that much money on a given period.
Last edited by tenia on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMDaines

#356 Post by TMDaines » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Orlac wrote:The sheer volume of "limited edition" stuf exhausted me last year to the point where I had to go cold turkey. Aside from the vintage Japanese titles, I'm going to assume I won't be able to own the other stuff. It's just too much in a short window, and whilst we can safely assume some stuff will stay around for a couple of years, others attract scalpers.

It's great to have many wonderful releases, but I suspect some of us won't get the chance to own them.
Late 2016 and 2017 have been ridiculous. I was down to about 25 Blu-rays on my wishlist and now it is well over 100. Amazon have neutered much of their competition, so they are more expensive than ever too.

Orlac

#357 Post by Orlac » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:03 pm

I've decided to go for one thing per month, from any label. I love collecting, but not chasing after every damn thing that comes out.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#358 Post by tenia » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:08 am

tenia wrote:On DVD Classik, we rely on Gaumont's catalogue and it doesn't return any result for Beineix.
Regarding La lune dans le caniveau, it's a Gaumont co-production which was released on DVD in France through M6, never Gaumont. IMDB (regular) also states that Gaumont only had theatrical rights.
But I asked Jerome Soulet on DVD Classik about it. If he answers, I'll post the reply here.
Jerome answered on DVD Classik :
"It's a complex topic. JJ BENEIX took back his movies' distributions rights at the time. Gaumont is still the movies' co-producer but we don't sell them anymore. However, the parties regularly discuss this topic."

dda1996a

#359 Post by dda1996a » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 pm

When are announcements going to be this month?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#360 Post by tenia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 am

tenia wrote:I'll be surprised if everything now planned for a Nov release end up being released as scheduled.
Unfortunately but unsurprisingly, November’s output suddenly just got way lighter, with 3 boxsets out of 5 delayed (some massively).
EDIT : now, the Kore-eda has also been pushed in Nov, and Pulp also followed suit. November's slate probably now only is about 40% of what it was.
Last edited by tenia on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ribs

#361 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:00 am

I wouldn't call five weeks in the case of the Suzuki set "massively," but it's pretty clear something's up with the Godard set to make it get pushed back a solid seven months from when it was supposed to come out. I expect Arrow is/was aware of the Noir set being their big title and prioritizing that to make sure it comes out over the holidays, and hope the same is true of the two big Academy releases in December (I feel confident about Apartment, less so about the Rohmer set).

dda1996a

#362 Post by dda1996a » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:23 am

We also haven't had announcements for January as well

Orlac

#363 Post by Orlac » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Too many boxsets...the delays are actually beneficial

MichaelB

#364 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Orlac wrote:Too many boxsets...the delays are actually beneficial
Not least to the producers. I can't tell you how happy I was when Powerhouse bowed to the inevitable and delayed the second Hammer box, because it had become too painfully obvious to ignore that meeting the original December release date would have been impossible without seriously cutting corners, and nobody wanted to do that. Not least because if you put out an excellent volume 1 (and I'm very pleased indeed with how that turned out) and a lacklustre volume 2, people are understandably going to be suspicious about the quality of volumes 3 and 4.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#365 Post by tenia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:51 pm

I strongly support realism rather than trying to rush to get to the finish line. At some point, sure it can be frustrating for customers, but if it's to output the right product, it's benefitial to all.
My only remark with Arrow november delays is that I'm wondering if anybody there really believed they could release so much that month or if they knew already somehow more delays would happen anyway.

rapta

#366 Post by rapta » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:03 pm

I wonder if the Rohmer set is still on course for December. I'd be happy if that one were a little delayed as it'd give me longer to save up for it. Same for Guitry though...

Ribs

#367 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:12 pm

The only Academy sets to be released on time were those that had individual releases concurrent with the box (meaning Fassbinder & Allen). If individual Rohmers begin appearing in January it'd be a good sign they're still on track.

MichaelB

#368 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 am

rapta wrote:I wonder if the Rohmer set is still on course for December. I'd be happy if that one were a little delayed as it'd give me longer to save up for it.
I’ve already proofed the complete book text (which is superb: tons of stuff on every individual film, and absolutely no padding), so I’m assuming at least that part of the package is on schedule.

What A Disgrace

#369 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:29 am

I'd like to think that Arrow is trying to get Rohmer and Film Noir out before the end of the year, and Kore-eda not being delayed with the other boxed sets is also a good sign.

I'd also like to think the delayed announcements for January are due to Arrow wanting to premiere them with the new site.

Ribs

#370 Post by Ribs » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:13 am

I have a hard time imagining the new site will be ready by the end of the week if we haven't heard about it in months! The 12 weeks between announcement and release is a necessity just for scheduling with retailers and the like. I'd guess they're shooting to have the new site up in early November in time for some kind of Black Friday offer a few weeks later.

midnitedave

#371 Post by midnitedave » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:47 am

New announcements coming Friday.
Arrow also gave with this hint...
Cat O'Nine Tails?

rapta

#372 Post by rapta » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:06 am

Yeah, most probably The Cat O'Nine Tails as we knew it was one of the likely Argento titles to be arriving soon - we're probably due at least one Argento in the new year, with Phenomena and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage having arrived back in May and June.

I also saw the Academy tease of a Garibaldi biscuit, and since they teased some Rossellini a few months ago, I'd guess it'll be Viva l'Italia!

mistakaninja

#373 Post by mistakaninja » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Did Gary Cooper ever appear without the toupee?

What A Disgrace

#374 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Foxes are canines, and so are hounds, and also a lot of people love Tails the Fox for the wrongest of wrong reasons, so this could be a reference to Hounds of Love, which has had a January release date on Amazon UK for a while.

*** Failed connect to http://moderate5.cleantalk.org/api2.0. Automoderator cleantalk.org ***

dwk

#375 Post by dwk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:17 pm

MVD posted the US Arrow Academy titles early:
SpoilerShow
The Witches (1967) - January 9, 2018
Roberto Rossellini's Viva L'Italia (1961) - January 30, 2018