Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

Latest news on Arrow Video and Arrow Academy releases. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.

Moderator: MichaelB

colinr0380

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#1251 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:44 am

Toby Dammit wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:39 am
colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:52 pm
I would very much second this. It would mean I could retire my mid 90s Redemption Video VHS tape of it as well! (Has it ever come out anywhere even on DVD?)
Yes, in Italy, DVD by Raro Video. No english subtitles
https://www.amazon.it/Addio-Fratello-Cr ... 332&sr=8-1
Looking at that back cover (I was unsure why the Amazon page listed the running time as 140 minutes and it looks as if they have accidentally swapped a couple of digits around as the back cover grab shows it as 104 minutes, which is the same run time as my Redemption VHS) I was reminded that it is a Vittorio Storaro shot film. It is a 1.85:1 ratio film and that Italian DVD came out in 2015 in that ratio, so maybe it has escaped the Storaro re-framing of all of his work into 2.00:1 whether it was originally intended for that ratio or not, but perhaps that might be a factor in the film's obscurity now. Along with, you know, the theme of tragic incest!

Calvin

#1252 Post by Calvin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:32 am

To continue the Universal chat (/wild, irresponsible conjecture) here instead of on the Inglourious Basterds thread, if that and Crimson Peak have been licensed to Arrow I don't suppose that the likes of Michael Mann's Blackhat and Miami Vice would be off limits either.

And when it comes to Universal's Hitchcocks, Turbine licensed the original for their Legacy Collection set that came out earlier this year and included the "uncut" version with additional footage added in from a German 35mm print. I doubt it will remain exclusive to the German set forever.

rapta

#1253 Post by rapta » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 am

Calvin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:32 am
To continue the Universal chat (/wild, irresponsible conjecture) here instead of on the Inglourious Basterds thread, if that and Crimson Peak have been licensed to Arrow I don't suppose that the likes of Michael Mann's Blackhat and Miami Vice would be off limits either.

And when it comes to Universal's Hitchcocks, Turbine licensed the original for their Legacy Collection set that came out earlier this year and included the "uncut" version with additional footage added in from a German 35mm print. I doubt it will remain exclusive to the German set forever.
Ooh, some Michael Mann would be excellent. Of course the DC of Blackhat would be especially exciting, but I wouldn't mind a beefed up edition of Miami Vice either. In fact they could even do a double-bill of the two as they actually feel like they follow each other tonally. And of course, the other Mann title they could consider is Public Enemies (though arguably not as good quality as those other two, in my humble opinion). That said, does Mann have veto power over these releases? I assume he allowed Thief but these three are more recent titles and he might be feeling a little more precious about them. I still hope a company like Arrow will get Manhunter one day so they can properly restore it...

As for Hitchcock, I'm down for basically any of the Universal-owned catalogue (the late 60's/early 70's stuff less so) and Psycho would obviously be top of Arrow's list (especially after they already handled Psycho II). However, the thing that might hold them back from doing such an exhaustive release is that Turbine already did it and they might then see it as pointless unless they could see a good return on it; I vaguely remember Fran Simeoni was once asked if Arrow would consider licensing The Big Gundown (or was it The Swimmer?) from Sony and he basically said 'what's the point?' due to there being the region-free Grindhouse release with plenty of extras still available; they might feel the same about Psycho. I guess they could still do the original with the 'uncut' version added like you say, and maybe even throw in the Gus Van Sant remake as a Limited Edition exclusive, and produce their own disc of extras (the rights for 78/52 are likely still with Dogwoof).

dwk

#1254 Post by dwk » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Manhunter is never going to happen as StudioCanal own the UK rights. I'm not sure Arrow would want to deal with working with Mann and doing editions of any of his most recent films, they likely would have to.

TwoTecs

#1255 Post by TwoTecs » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Out of the loop here: Mann has a problem working with boutique labels?

CSM126

#1256 Post by CSM126 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:26 pm

TwoTecs wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:16 pm
Out of the loop here: Mann has a problem working with boutique labels?
I think the issue is the labels having to deal with Mann tinkering with color timing endlessly instead of going with the original color scheme of the given film.

dwk

#1257 Post by dwk » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:20 pm

If I'm not misremembering, Michael Brooke hinted that he heard that Criterion had a bit of a nightmare working with him on Thief.

Anyway, after dealing with Hurricane Billy, I'm not sure that Arrow wants to deal with another difficult director.

Calvin

#1258 Post by Calvin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:51 pm

rapta wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 am
s for Hitchcock, I'm down for basically any of the Universal-owned catalogue (the late 60's/early 70's stuff less so) and Psycho would obviously be top of Arrow's list (especially after they already handled Psycho II). However, the thing that might hold them back from doing such an exhaustive release is that Turbine already did it and they might then see it as pointless unless they could see a good return on it; I vaguely remember Fran Simeoni was once asked if Arrow would consider licensing The Big Gundown (or was it The Swimmer?) from Sony and he basically said 'what's the point?' due to there being the region-free Grindhouse release with plenty of extras still available; they might feel the same about Psycho. I guess they could still do the original with the 'uncut' version added like you say, and maybe even throw in the Gus Van Sant remake as a Limited Edition exclusive, and produce their own disc of extras (the rights for 78/52 are likely still with Dogwoof).
I doubt Arrow could top The Swimmer, but they certainly could Psycho - just making the uncut version available in English-speaking territories and outside of the box set (I suspect the awareness of the German release is lower than it would be if a US/UK release) would be reason enough, but also Arrow's usual assortment of critic commentaries / video essays is something that hasn't been done for the Universal Hitchcocks. While Psycho's existing extras are essential, they firmly exist within the usual studio-approved talking head realm.

Though if I had to pick one, I'd probably go for a release of Vertigo with Guy Maddin's The Green Fog.

swo17

#1259 Post by swo17 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Any Universal Hitchcock could be bettered with a top-notch Arrow encode

Calvin

#1260 Post by Calvin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Frenzy is one I'd really like to see Indicator tackle.

rapta

#1261 Post by rapta » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:51 pm
Though if I had to pick one, I'd probably go for a release of Vertigo with Guy Maddin's The Green Fog.
Agreed. That would hands-down be disc-of-the-year material right there, at least in my opinion. They could even try and use the Harris-Katz restoration and ask Robert Harris to be involved in any remastering work, assuming Universal would allow it of course (not sure).

Calvin

#1262 Post by Calvin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 am

rapta wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:38 pm
Calvin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:51 pm
Agreed. That would hands-down be disc-of-the-year material right there, at least in my opinion. They could even try and use the Harris-Katz restoration and ask Robert Harris to be involved in any remastering work, assuming Universal would allow it of course (not sure).
I'm not sure why you'd want an older restoration with much-derided added Foley effects?

MichaelB

Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#1263 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 am

dwk wrote:If I'm not misremembering, Michael Brooke hinted that he heard that Criterion had a bit of a nightmare working with him on Thief
I have absolutely no idea what Criterion’s specific experience was working with Mann on Thief, although Mann’s reputation as a perfectionist tinkerer obviously preceded him.

But Arrow specifically chose not to work with him because they thought it was highly probable that he’d insist on them only including his controversial revisionist version (the one that the notorious Dr Svet Atanasov insists is the original theatrical version, although my challenge to him to produce a single 1981 review that mentions what would have been a incredibly unusual colour scheme for back then remains unmet many years later), whereas Arrow very much wanted to be able to offer a choice, and some decent extras.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1264 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:48 am

There's no way the 4K grading is original, but there's also no way the old magenta-pushed MGM master is too. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

dwk

#1265 Post by dwk » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:55 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 am
I have absolutely no idea what Criterion’s specific experience was working with Mann on Thief, although Mann’s reputation as a perfectionist tinkerer obviously preceded him.
Sorry, must have been someone else.

rapta

#1266 Post by rapta » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:35 pm

According to BBFC submissions, Arrow have three pretty big titles lined up for later this year or early next year...

The Last of the Mohicans
True Romance
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Seems they've got these from the Morgan Creek library via Revolution Studios when they licensed Nightbreed. I'd be surprised if they skipped Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and maybe even Exorcist III/Exorcist: The Beginning/Dominion.