Arrow: Cheapest Prices/Best Places to Buy/Pre-Orders/Deals

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Morbii

Re: Arrow: Cheapest Prices/Best Places to Buy/Pre-Orders/Dea

#576 Post by Morbii » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:25 am

Does Arrow's Legend of the Holy Drinker only come in dual format edition?

B&N says it's a DVD, but I suspect it's the dual format edition (particularly since the picture shows a Blu-ray sized case, the price is that of a blu, and I can't seem to find info on a DVD-only release)

sabbath

#577 Post by sabbath » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:17 am

Morbii wrote:Does Arrow's Legend of the Holy Drinker only come in dual format edition?

B&N says it's a DVD, but I suspect it's the dual format edition (particularly since the picture shows a Blu-ray sized case, the price is that of a blu, and I can't seem to find info on a DVD-only release)
Yeap, it's dual format. B&N did the same 'mistake' with Dead-End Drive-In before, I remember.

What A Disgrace

#578 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:24 am

I didn't get tracking with my shipment, but I used the more expensive shipping option. It shipped Monday, and arrived Wednesday. Two days between the UK and the state of Tennessee is okay with me. I pay almost that much for similar size Global Standard shipments from Amazon UK and it takes 9+ days.

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#579 Post by Godot » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:53 pm

swo17 wrote:Another note: It looks like there's a £7.50 shipping charge for every two boxsets--in other words, the charge is the same for one or two boxsets, though it doubles if you add a third. So try to order single items in batches of four and boxsets in batches of two to minimize your shipping costs.
Swo, thank you for your informative posts! This advice reduced my shipping costs (across multiple orders). I also noticed that one boxed set pushes the shipping to £7.50, but then I could add up to 7 single titles and still have that same £7.50 total shipping. I almost jumped on the Dekalog set, but someone noted in the Amazon thread that it had dropped to £30 (after VAT reduction that's £23), so I picked it up there (for the Tony Rayns and MichaelB extras). Then I put the Carrie LTD edition (which is treated as a box, and had limited availability but now appears sold out) in the cart to replace it, but noticed it had dropped to £23 on Amazon (£18 after VAT), so I bought it there. All these tips and hints came from the forum, so thank you to everyone for sharing!

I wound up buying 12 blu-rays across 3 orders (only £6.75 total shipping... would have been £14 on Amazon!):
Massacre Gun (for Tony Rayns extra feature)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Stephen Prince commentary)
One-Eyed Jack (another Prince commentary)
Day of the Jackal (one of my father-in-law's favorites, and the R1 DVD is poor)
Network (I have the "Mad as Hell" book and wanted to see the visual essay)
Jamaica Inn (commentary and Donald Spoto interview)
Hangmen Also Die! (solely for the subtitles - I already have the Cohen, but some house-members have hearing problems)
Caltiki - The Immortal Monster (blind buy, but sounds like my teen boys will love it, and keen on the Tim Lucas and Kim Newman extras)
Big Knife (Glenn Kenny commentary)
Sweet Smell of Success (Philip Kemp extra, complements the great Naremore commentary on CC)
Fireman's Ball (for the MichaelB extra!)
Closely Observed Trains (for the MichaelB extra!)
swo17 wrote:50% off Arrow US titles at Barnes & Noble
I picked up the Region A-only Dillinger (another Stephen Prince commentary!) for $14 (after 25% coupon and 10% member discounts) that I had been eyeing. Thank you again for the tips! What a valuable forum, saved me $20 at least.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#580 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:54 am

Wait, did you buy Dillinger from an actual B&N store? Mine never stocks Arrow, amazingly.

Morbii

#581 Post by Morbii » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:10 am

Most of the stores around me only carry a few token arrow titles in the horror section. There is one store about 60mi from me that has an arrow section, though (Dublin, CA). The section isn’t HUGE (about 1/4-1/3 the size of the criterion BD section), but it exists! This particular store is open until 11 every day, save Sunday, too.

Of the 5 stores closer/equidistant (one of which has no real media section at all), I think this is the only one.

So, they exist, but I think they’re rare.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#582 Post by swo17 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:03 pm

I have started to notice some more often in store, like Day of Anger the other day.

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#583 Post by Godot » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:47 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Wait, did you buy Dillinger from an actual B&N store? Mine never stocks Arrow, amazingly.
I did, indeed! They don't carry very many Arrow titles, but do have a good selection of Criterion. I looked up a number of Arrow titles that were in my Arrow.uk cart, and this was the only one in stock at my local store. I think you could ask your local store to order it for you (for in-store pick-up), that would allow you to get the same deal.

Morbii

#584 Post by Morbii » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:00 am

The in-store deals are actually not as good as online at the moment (but close). I drove to my store today and raided the arrow section, but only a handful of titles were 50% off. The rest were 40%. With member discount it came to about 46% and I figured it was good enough for now. I also picked up several gift certificates for the bonus $10 certs and had 2 coupons. I paid like $47 for female prisoner scorpion (not counting the gift card bonuses) and under $25 for the OOP house collection. Pleased overall.

Gus

#585 Post by Gus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Has anyone bought Blanche,Immoral tales,The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne,Woman on the run,Too late for tears in the current sale and can report if they came with booklets?

therewillbeblus

#586 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Woman on the Run came with a booklet in my order

Gregor Samsa

#587 Post by Gregor Samsa » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 pm

Although not listed on the back covers, my copies of Story of Sin and Sorrow and the Pity came with booklets.

TMDaines

#588 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Gregor Samsa wrote:Although not listed on the back covers, my copies of Story of Sin and Sorrow and the Pity came with booklets.
Mine too, plus The Big Knife.

Pepsi

#589 Post by Pepsi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 am

The sale us running from Midday Friday December 14th 2017 through to Midday Friday January 12th 2018.
The prices are today 50% up, even tough the sale is not officially ended?

Pepsi

#590 Post by Pepsi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:40 am

The prices are today 50% up, even tough the sale is not officially ended?
FIXED

L.A.

#591 Post by L.A. » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Hellraiser Trilogy for £12.99 at Amazon UK.

What A Disgrace

#592 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:15 am

Hi there,

After investigating, we can confirm that we had the DVD and BD barcodes set up incorrectly on the website. As this is our mistake, we will arrange for a free dispatch of the Blu-ray.

We have collated all customer addresses who got delivered the wrong format and you should receive your Blu-ray next week.

Apologies once again, and please feel free to keep the DVD as this was our mistake.

Please quote Customer service ticket number x in any further correspondence.

Thanks,

The Arrow Team
Arrow in response to my receiving the DVD of Zoology instead of the Blu-ray.

AlexHansen

#593 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:14 pm

Has there been any mention of the Second Run titles being added to the new store?

Boosmahn

#594 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Any talk of when (or if) the Easter sale will happen?

Adam X

#595 Post by Adam X » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:16 am

AlexHansen wrote:Has there been any mention of the Second Run titles being added to the new store?
Well, they’ve announced UK distribution deals for Third Window, Terracotta & Shameless in the past month, and Third Window have mentioned their titles’ll be made available at Arrow’s webstore, so presumably something’s in the works.

KJones77

#596 Post by KJones77 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 pm

I'm rather new to Arrow and have only bought releases from Amazon that I knew were Region A. However, with the (possibly) upcoming sale, I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of releases from Arrow's site that, though they say Region B on the site, will still play on a region A player.

For example, I've seen in a few spots that their release of Obsession by Brian De Palma is Region A compatible even though the site says it's Region B only. A) is this true and B) are there others?

Boosmahn

#597 Post by Boosmahn » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:38 pm

KJones77 wrote:I'm rather new to Arrow and have only bought releases from Amazon that I knew were Region A. However, with the (possibly) upcoming sale, I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of releases from Arrow's site that, though they say Region B on the site, will still play on a region A player.
I use Blu-ray.com for this sort of information (make sure to switch over to U.K. settings, not the default U.S.). It doesn't have everything, but it's still pretty helpful.

KJones77

#598 Post by KJones77 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:25 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
KJones77 wrote:I'm rather new to Arrow and have only bought releases from Amazon that I knew were Region A. However, with the (possibly) upcoming sale, I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of releases from Arrow's site that, though they say Region B on the site, will still play on a region A player.
I use Blu-ray.com for this sort of information (make sure to switch over to U.K. settings, not the default U.S.). It doesn't have everything, but it's still pretty helpful.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Boosmahn

#599 Post by Boosmahn » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:45 am

Boosmahn wrote:Any talk of when (or if) the Easter sale will happen?
So... is this not happening? I've checked the website frequently for the past several days and nothing has showed up.

Ribs

#600 Post by Ribs » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:48 am

Arrow's totally changed the way their webstore operates, so there's really not a reason to expect a sale.