Arrow: Cheapest Prices/Best Places to Buy/Pre-Orders/Deals

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Bumstead

Re: Arrow: Cheapest Prices/Best Places to Buy/Pre-Orders/Dea

#451 Post by Bumstead » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:23 am

I just pestered them about this on Twitter, and got this reply:
Arrow Help wrote:We have been working hard for months to build a new site; this will go live later in the year.
Last edited by Bumstead on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam X

#452 Post by Adam X » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 am

I think it was early Autumn... and the website's back up

Ribs

#453 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 am

They didn't give a date. I think it's reasonable to assume the delay in getting this sale up means there won't be an Autumn sale, and the first sale for the new site will be the one for the Holidays. Could come any time between now and Black Friday.

A little peeved that all the Price/Poe are included except Haunted Palace for some reason.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#454 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:52 am

I understand some delays to accomodate sales and other priorities, but Arrow have been talking of revamping their webstore since June 2015.

And clearly, it wouldn't have been a loss for anybody if they did it at least a year ago. Now, they will implement it when they don't have a choice anymore : it seems their servers can't take a load, and the dispatch notices and order details system has been FUBARed for way too long a time.

They could have done that pro-actively, and it's really a shame we had to see all these issues at all.

Glowingwabbit

#455 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:26 am

Biggest Ever Sale!!! Yet only one item on my wishlist is on sale ](*,) (and I don't have any preorders on that list).

chatterjees

#456 Post by chatterjees » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am

Glowingwabbit wrote:Biggest Ever Sale!!! Yet only one item on my wishlist is on sale ](*,) (and I don't have any preorders on that list).
I have the exact same situation. I guess I have to skip this "Biggest Ever Sale". I am sure this is really bigger for a lot of people.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#457 Post by Drucker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 am

There's a ton of stuff for sale. Every Allen box set, the recently released Alfredo Garcia and Ludwig sets. I'm like you both where nothing in my cart is on sale, but I'm happy to save some money right now to be honest, so no complaints here.

Telstar

#458 Post by Telstar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:02 am

Glowingwabbit wrote:Biggest Ever Sale!!! Yet only one item on my wishlist is on sale ](*,) (and I don't have any preorders on that list).
Ditto.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#459 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:30 am

Drucker wrote:There's a ton of stuff for sale.
It's also missing tons of early '17 titles for seemingly no reason, and some of the older titles too.

I get the "nothing more recent than 3 months ago" but many 2017 Academy titles aren't included (the Boro, Property is no longer a theft, The Creeping Garden, ...), the Bavas are mostly absent, there also aren't We Are The Flesh, Tower of London, Willie Dynamite, The Guyver and older titles like Count Yorga, Return Of The Killer Tomatoes and Dead-End Drive-in.

I'm happy getting a few movies from my backlog, but I have yet to understand the reasoning behind included this March title but not that one.

Glowingwabbit

#460 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:49 am

tenia wrote:
It's also missing tons of early '17 titles for seemingly no reason, and some of the older titles too.

I get the "nothing more recent than 3 months ago" but many 2017 Academy titles aren't included (the Boro, Property is no longer a theft, The Creeping Garden, ...), the Bavas are mostly absent, there also aren't We Are The Flesh, Tower of London, Willie Dynamite, The Guyver and older titles like Count Yorga, Return Of The Killer Tomatoes and Dead-End Drive-in.

I'm happy getting a few movies from my backlog, but I have yet to understand the reasoning behind included this March title but not that one.
I assume it has to do with inventory. I did ask them on twitter if more titles would be added to the sale. This was their response for what it's worth: "Possibly, but nothing is confirmed yet!"

Telstar

#461 Post by Telstar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:27 pm

tenia wrote:

Blue Dahlia and Glass Key are also strangely M.I.A.

rapta

#462 Post by rapta » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Was hoping for The Glass Key and Dark Water but neither are in there, which is a shame. However I immediately ordered The Ox-Bow Incident and Hangmen Also Die! since £7.99 is a very fair price (I would've paid that at HMV), and I might go for the two Film Noir Foundation titles next. Assume these will all have booklets still, even if they've been out for a year.

I really want 52 Pick-Up too and might just order it at £9.99 just to secure the booklet; I could wait and save a couple of quid, but I may miss out. I'm also eyeing up Outlaw: Gangster VIP, which is a pretty fair price (been that price before but double points is a nice bonus). Also might get The Pit and the Pendulum on a whim at some point - does it still have a booklet though?

Best deals here are The Human Condition (£5 less than what I paid in their Flash Sale a few months back) and several titles at £4.99 (take your pick). Otherwise, mostly the same old stuff here, save for a few newish ones and one or two weirdly omitted from previous sales. Perhaps if sales are slowing down they'll add more titles, and I'll be at the front of the queue for those two I mentioned above (I already have The Blue Dahlia, so don't need to worry about that one).

Noiradelic

#463 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:30 pm

tenia wrote:their servers can't take a load
Not a line you'd want to read in a restaurant review.

FrauBlucher

#464 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Or some other kind of review.

I was hoping to pick up Hannah and Her Sisters. None of the standalone Allens have been included.

JMULL222

#465 Post by JMULL222 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Sorry to be the newbie but the website with the sale only distributes the UK releases, correct?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#466 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Correct

nigeljahrles

#467 Post by nigeljahrles » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 pm

I've noticed a few titles such as Caltiki and The Black Cat are being listed as only Region B in the site. My understanding was that all titles released simultaneously in the UK and North America were region A and B. Is the listing incorrect or have Arrow changed their policy with dual territory releases?

Ribs

#468 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:04 am

No, everything that's released in the US alongside the UK release will be the same disc on either side of the Atlantic, but for whatever reason Arrow's stopped listing which titles are truly region free on their store. Titles like Three Brothers or Cinema Paradiso will probably still be the region B release but if it goes into a new printing should be the new region free version.

(And the packaging, too - the Taisho trilogy, for example, has only the Region B branding on the UK release despite being an A+B title)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#469 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 am

I think that at least on the packaging, it simply became something they don't have to care about anymore, so they stopped making sure it's accurate.

Oh, and I wonder how they managed to do Re-Animator region-free.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#470 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:16 pm

LABORDAY17 is a reusable 20% off coupon good through 9/4 at B&N. For items like Taisho Trilogy and New Battles Without Honor and Humanity, which are listed at 31% off, you can get them for about 55% off before tax (if you also factor in 11% cashback from Cardpool and 8% from TopCashback--which goes down to 4% tomorrow). I picked up L'Amour d'une femme as well, which was about 48% off before tax.

neilist

#472 Post by neilist » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:44 am

Fassbinder's 'Eight Hours Don't Make A Day' limited edition boxset preorder down to £37.99.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#473 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Because Amazon doesn't understand basic economics, they've dropped the price of Carrie down to £22.99.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#474 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:00 am

Since a few weeks / months now, people on blu-ray.com have seen OOP products popping up on Arrow's ebay page for sales. However, they're not sold at a flat price, they're sold at auction.
It means that Arrow has products like Deep Red LE going basically as high as what a scalper would do (it's currently at 103€ and there are 6 days left).

This raises some questions :
- are these products some stock that was surprisingly uncover at a late stage, like a box found in a basement or something ? Or are there willingly a few copies stored aside to feed this eBay account later ? There are at least 3 Videodrome LEs, 2 Donnie Darko LEs, 3 Society LEs, 3 Demons 1 & 2 Steelbooks, 4 Lifeforce Steelbooks, 3 Boro boxsets, 4 Deep Red LEs and 2 Price / Poe / Corman sets.
- why a label like Arrow, who knows very well how high such prices can go, don't sell them like the Stray Cat Rock on their own webstore ?
- why don't they sell them at a flat price instead of basically making the scalpers game and ending up serving customers with the same highly inflated prices ? The Vincent Price sets went for as high as 362€ (5 times the original price) !! Deep Red LE went for as high as 129€ (almost 6 times the original price) !! Going back in the seller's history, there have been even worse prices than those 2.

As best, this looks just like a very bad idea. Sure they "can't guess how much money people will spend" but actually they do. Everyone does.
As worst, it just seems vastly immoral. I understand some people being assholes and being willing to take advantage of the situation by selling products at inflated prices for people with that amount of cash to throw away. But the label itself doing so is a whole different kind of beast and it's sending a veeeeery bad image.

It seems to have started only somewhere within the last 6 to 12 months, Arrow wasn't doing this kind of eBay sales before.

exidor

#475 Post by exidor » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:53 pm

I don't have a problem with it at all. They're selling these super rare OOP items at a price determined by the market. That's like a cornerstone of capitalism.

There was a window when you could buy them at RRP. Now you can't. If they sold them at RRP now, they'd just get snapped up by scalpers and sold on at 500% profit within the hour. Why is it "vastly immoral" for Arrow to get that 500% instead?