Arrow: Cheapest Prices/Best Places to Buy/Pre-Orders/Deals

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

hearthesilence

Re: Arrow: Cheapest Prices/Best Places to Buy/Pre-Orders/Dea

#501 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Almost everything seemed to be on sale, at least during the first hour. Pretty much every big name title, and they even had (limited edition) copies of Alfredo Garcia for I think 12 quid, at least one edition of Withnail & I, and of course Matinee.

eerik

#502 Post by eerik » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Ordered all three Woody Allen sets for 25 quids each, nice!

rapta

#503 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Titles disappearing left right and centre but I got in early for The Glass Key, My Twentieth Century, The Sorrow and the Pity and Terror in a Texas Town for £7.99 each. Also had The City of the Dead and Jamaica Inn in my sights but both quickly disappeared whilst I was browsing the sale, and was about to order the Taviani set about half an hour ago but it has since gone too.

I got the Joshua Oppenheimer DVD instead as a consolation, something I was meaning to get on release. Hopefully Taviani is in one of the next sales again - this is the third time I've hesitated on that set and missed out!

Going to use all my saved points on The Apartment later this week. Only holding off to see if the HMV price comes down to something more sensible and/or whether Arrow decide to add more stock to this sale. Would've pre-ordered Carrie but it's now OOS via Arrow.
tenia wrote:
perkizitore wrote:Nikkatsu Vol.2 and Matinee were definitely gone from my cart, plus the two Veronica Lake films are conspicuously absent from the sale!
I think The Glass Key was included early in the sale, so I guess it’s another one whose pressing is now gone.
I don't think it's anything to do with pressings, just moving all their stock to a new warehouse - presumably for the new website launch - and putting some excess stock on sale. Titles that were bound to not be that popular have gone already, so it's probably just a few dozen units of some titles and 100+ of others.

kuzine

#504 Post by kuzine » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 pm

eerik wrote:Ordered all three Woody Allen sets for 25 quids each, nice!
Where are you seeing all three? Because a few hours ago when I put in my order only the first one was showing up for me (same now).

hearthesilence

#505 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Memory's hazy because I wasn't interested in them thanks to earlier Twilight Time acquisitions, but it looked like every Woody Allen title was part of the sale when it first launched.

eerik

#506 Post by eerik » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:07 pm

kuzine wrote:
eerik wrote:Ordered all three Woody Allen sets for 25 quids each, nice!
Where are you seeing all three? Because a few hours ago when I put in my order only the first one was showing up for me (same now).
They were all available earlier this afternoon when I placed my order, sorry for not being clear about the time in my previous post. Sadly you must have missed out on them.

rapta

#507 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 pm

The second and third box sets sold out quite quickly. Some on Blu-ray.com pointed out they might've fallen prey to scalpers listing them for up to twice as much on eBay. Shame, really. I personally plan on picking the standalone titles up one-by-one, but probably not all of them (same with Fassbinder).

If you can't find a title on the store, chances are it's just Temporarily Out of Stock rather than Out of Print entirely, as they're simply moving stock to the new warehouse for their new website (and web store). The only titles I can think of that have gone entirely are The Taisho Trilogy and Carrie, both of which are available from other retailers but may go OOP very soon.

hearthesilence

#508 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:11 pm

A Fish Called Wanda and the aforementioned Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia have both disappeared from the sale as well. Shame as both had new 4k transfers from the OCN done exclusively for Arrow.

perkizitore

#509 Post by perkizitore » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm

This sale has really pissed me off, I hope Arrow doesn't continue this tactic of removing stuff mid-sale (unless something goes OOP)! Also, it messes up my wishlist, I have to re-add them when they appear again on the site.

bearcuborg

#510 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:57 pm

It’s my understanding they sold out...

When I wrote them, they said-“They'll be back when we're set up at our new warehouse. This was limited stock available at special prices.”

I’d like to know if this sale will be a regular thing.

Ribs

#511 Post by Ribs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 pm

This isn't a normal sale, it's only to clear out warehouse space and reduce moving costs. They're presumably going to launch the new site before the next sale over the Holiday period.

Luke M

#512 Post by Luke M » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:28 pm

This sale was kind of a crapshoot for me. I checked it out early but had to get to work, couldn’t get back to it until lunch and most everything I wanted was gone.

rwaits

#513 Post by rwaits » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:04 am

Luke M wrote:This sale was kind of a crapshoot for me. I checked it out early but had to get to work, couldn’t get back to it until lunch and most everything I wanted was gone.
You just described my experience exactly.

Adam X

#514 Post by Adam X » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 am

Does anyone know if Deadly Blessing still comes with a booklet?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Where's My Arrow Order?

#515 Post by tenia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm

The end of the tunnel is near ! :
** THE BRAND NEW ARROW WEBSITE IS COMING!***

Following on from our recent Warehouse clearance sale, we are pleased to announce the our brand spanking new website will launch on Monday 27 November!

Our new site URL will be http://www.arrowfilms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, replacing the current http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site. *Please note that our current site will be closed from 4pm TODAY to allow time to securely transfer all current customer order histories and Reward Points allocations.*

We've listened to all your feedback in relation to our current website and have spent the last few months designing and building this new site from the bottom up, taking care to implement many new features to give a much more satisfying browsing and customer experience. New and upgraded features include a fully filterable shop area for all products, enhanced search functionality, much-improved member’s account pages and other member features, plus a much more streamlined checkout process with improved payment and delivery options. We really can't wait to share it with you!

In the meantime, please check out our handy FAQs below which should hopefully cover any burning questions you may have.

----------------------------------------------

FAQs

- Will I still retain my current Reward Points? -
Yes. When the new site launches, you will be able to request a Reset Password link with the email you currently use for your account. Simply enter your email address on the Reset Password page, follow the link that is sent to you and reset your password. Upon re-registering you will receive 100 free Reward Points on your account.

- What will happen to existing orders? -
Any orders placed during the recent sale and any pre-orders made for titles up to and including a release date of December 11 will be fulfilled by our old warehouse. Any queries arising from any of these orders should go through the usual channel of orders@arrowfilms.co.uk. Our new warehouse will then fulfil all pre-orders from December 18, as well as any orders placed from the time it goes live on Monday November 27.

- What will free membership give me? -
We’ve looked to fully improve the My Account areas on the new website, giving you much more control of your account. You will be able to add various billing and shipping address, view order history and track current orders, edit personal details and interests and create wishlists. There will also be exclusive ‘Members-only’ content for certain releases, such as exclusive stills, clips and some PDFs of previous Arrow Video and Arrow Academy booklets.

- Will I be able to pay with credit / debit card? -
Yes. We have now implemented World Pay into the new site which will allow for most card payments. You will still be able to pay via PayPal if you prefer.

- When will payment be taken? -
If paying through World Pay, payment for all orders will now be taken at dispatch from our new warehouse rather than at point of order. Payment via PayPal will still be taken on point of order.

- Will there be more selection on delivery options?-
Yes. In most cases, you will have the option to have your order delivered by standard or tracked mail. There is also the option to split your delivery into two if you are ordering both currently available titles and titles on pre-order.

lzx

#516 Post by lzx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 pm

The most exciting part IMO is the inclusion of PDF booklets.

Bumstead

#517 Post by Bumstead » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Chance of (yet another) sale with the new Arrow website. Nil?

What A Disgrace

#518 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:55 pm

lzx wrote:The most exciting part IMO is the inclusion of PDF booklets.
I guess I won't be without the Madman and People Under the Stairs booklets forever.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#519 Post by tenia » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:15 am

lzx wrote:The most exciting part IMO is the inclusion of PDF booklets.
I admit I'll wait to see how this one goes, because it's hard to imagine having PDF booklets "freely" available online while at the same time using them as an incentive to quickly buy a title at the non-discounted price to avoid missing out on the booklet.

Ribs

#520 Post by Ribs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:13 am

The new site seems to have ditched a free shipping point for international orders, which is a bummer as that means the Rohmer set has essentially jumped in price another $10.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#521 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:18 am

Few unfortunate things :
- the new search function is a bit of a hassle seems it seems to look by default in the product description instead of just the titles, which makes it twice slower than the older semi-automatic search.
- the order transfer, at least in my account, creating triplicate of some orders, while some of my never-checked-out carts have been turned into orders, including a £24900 order for 1000 Carrie LEs (when I wanted to see if the old website had some kind of limitations based on the stock quantities).
- Wishlist was nice because you could see in a glance which newer pre-orders was on-stock early. Now, the In Stock status isn't showed anymore in the wishlist, creating the need to go specifically on the product page.
- About In Stock status : it looks that all pre-orders are currently incorrectly showing as In Stock.
- It doesn't look like you can have access to a full branch listing (like from A-Z for the whole of Arrow Video output). Instead, you'll have to search the title you're looking for. This'll be fun during sales... EDIT : found it. It's still there.
- Minor design quibble : on the wishlist, the cover are vertically squished because the thumbnails are square instead of being portrait.
Last edited by tenia on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stephen

#522 Post by Stephen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:26 am

I feel that Arrow has succumbed to the same issue many news websites have suffered. Distract with the visuals and a new style, but keep quiet about the incidentals. In Arrows case:

Raise prices across the store
Drop free international shipping (but not the VAT that is still passed on to the overseas customer).
Drop double points on sales
Abandon Second Run titles
Drop the early bird incentive scheme
Push customers to self service i.e rebuild your wishlist, restate your notifications, request information once held.
Hint at a second tier membership (which doubtlessly will offer the same benefits we all had on the old site)

Outside of overheated limited edition runs, I can see many customers looking at other retailer options.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#523 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:34 am

Stephen wrote:Raise prices across the store
To be fair, this actually isn't really the case.
£15.99 titles have been decreased to £15.00.
£17.99 times become £18, and £24.99 become £25, which are basically the same prices.

The more expensive boxsets are the ones that have taken a hit, with £37.99 increased to £40. However, the Rohmer set only increased from £79.99 to £80.
Stephen wrote:Drop the early bird incentive scheme
This is gone for years. They stopped it at least 2 to 3 years ago.
Stephen wrote:Abandon Second Run titles
This is the most surprising to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they include them back shortly, but they currently aren't stated in Brands anymore, which isn't a good sign.

Ribs

#524 Post by Ribs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:50 am

I’m generally not happy with quite a few things on this site but half those changes you’ve listed are nonsense. There’s no reason to assume just because there’s a listing of “Free Member” that means there’s plans for otherwise - they’re just using some proprietary store infrastructure, not something they built themselves. Double points is still supposed to happen with each sale. The site relaunched - there are inevitably some features/listings that cannot be carried over.

I expect Second Run will pop up eventually, but they might just want to have things up and running.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#525 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:59 am

Admittedly, they might be advertising Free Membership in opposition to what others can do (like B&N paying membership), but true, for a label webstore, the fact that the membership is free isn't something usually advertised as such. Considering that Arrow seems to try to buff their webstore exclusive content, it wouldn't be far fetched to thus take this as going towards the possibilty of a paying membership.

This being said, I don't care myself. If the content's right, why not having one after all ?

EDIT : another issue : in the wishlist, you can't right click and open the product pages in a new page anymore, nor can you directly add them in your cart from there, you always have to go through the product page.
God this is going to be a hassle now to navigate in there. :|
Last edited by tenia on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.