Arrow Video USA

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

zedz

Re: Arrow Video USA

#101 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:08 pm

If you supported the Indiegogo campaign, you should have received an email requiring you to confirm your mailing address (or else you won't get nowt).

effigy105

#102 Post by effigy105 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:31 pm

One thing that still confuses me, and apologies if it's been clarified elsewhere.

I contributed at the $175 level which grants me releases of Day of Anger, Blind Woman's Curse, Mark of the Devil, and seven more titles 'yet to be revealed.'

As Arrow have began US announcements (Blood and Black Lace, The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Miss Osbourne, Massacre Gun etc.) and some look set to be Limited Editions, do we know which seven titles will be sent? Also, what editions are included? Would a Steelbook be sent where available or one of each edition (regular and Steelbook) like in the Gold Plan. And if the latter, would that count as two of the seven releases covered?

Basically I'm curious to know if I effectively already own all the titles announced today.

MichaelB

#103 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:44 am

Arrow has confirmed on Twitter that in the case of two versions of the same title (i.e. Blood and Black Lace Amaray or SteelBook), you'll be offered a choice as to your preferred presentation prior to shipping.

In other words, it counts as one title for the purposes of your ten.

So that's six titles confirmed - Mark of the Devil, Blind Woman's Curse, Day of Anger, Blood and Black Lace, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne, Massacre Gun - plus four more to be announced.

PfR73

#104 Post by PfR73 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Just to be sure, are there any differences between the US & UK releases (other than ratings labels & such)? There'd be no compelling reason for a US customer to import the UK version or a UK customer to import the US version?

MichaelB

#105 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:44 pm

PfR73 wrote:Just to be sure, are there any differences between the US & UK releases (other than ratings labels & such)? There'd be no compelling reason for a US customer to import the UK version or a UK customer to import the US version?
The actual disc content will be absolutely identical - Arrow isn't about to go to the expense of creating two separate masters. Which means that it doesn't matter where you buy them from: they'll play equally well in a Region A or B player.

effigy105

#106 Post by effigy105 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:38 pm

MichaelB wrote:So that's six titles confirmed - Mark of the Devil, Blind Woman's Curse, Day of Anger, Blood and Black Lace, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne, Massacre Gun - plus four more to be announced.
That's ideal for me. Much thanks for the clarification, Michael.

med

#107 Post by med » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:04 pm

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but does Arrow have a dedicated site for their US releases? I'd like to be able to browse them in one place and I could not find anything on the main Arrow site or through general Googling.

David M.

#108 Post by David M. » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:15 pm

It's at http://www.arrowvideo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I guess is still in the works.

rspaight

#109 Post by rspaight » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:26 am

Just got the email regarding the final titles for the 10-title perk. Can't wait!

One teeny request for any Arrow folks that may be watching: is there any possibility of swapping Spider Baby for a different April/May title? I (and I imagine others) already have the UK issue of this. I can definitely find a loving home for the duplicate, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

effigy105

#110 Post by effigy105 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:23 pm

rspaight wrote:Just got the email regarding the final titles for the 10-title perk. Can't wait!

One teeny request for any Arrow folks that may be watching: is there any possibility of swapping Spider Baby for a different April/May title? I (and I imagine others) already have the UK issue of this. I can definitely find a loving home for the duplicate, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
Seconded!

I'm sure selling on Spider Baby won't prove too tricky but if there was an option to swap it with Contamination that would be even better.

Ashirg

#111 Post by Ashirg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:00 pm

I would like to trade Island of Death for The Happiness of the Katakuris... I think it would open a can of worms Arrow Video would not be ready to handle...

manicsounds

#112 Post by manicsounds » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:46 pm

I know there are many Arrow releases that are UK exclusives, but have they said if they would do US exclusives, ones that they can't get the rights to in the UK?

EddieLarkin

#113 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:00 pm

The only official word is this:
Q. Will all of your US titles be released in the UK too?
A. That’s the plan, although there might be a good reason to release something in the US and not the UK if, for instance, we encountered censorship problems in the UK. It would be a shame to deprive the world of what could be a great release!

manicsounds

#114 Post by manicsounds » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:57 am

Or Sony releases. It's said Sony International doesn't license titles, but Sony US licences to Mill Creek, Twilight Time, etc.

If Arrow US got the rights to John Carpenter's "Starman" for example...

MichaelB

#115 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:02 am

The only scenario that's been even vaguely floated as a possibility is a repeat of the Score situation - i.e. where Arrow reluctantly had to abandon plans to release the (very mildly) hardcore cut after the BBFC insisted on giving it an R18 rather than an 18 certificate, forcing its last-minute replacement by the softcore version.

In a surprise situation like that (because it happened at the last minute, and Arrow had reasonably predicted an 18 because it didn't contain anything that they hadn't passed at 18 elsewhere, such as in the Peter de Rome films), it might well be the case that Arrow scraps plans for a UK release altogether and just goes for a US-only one - but at present there are no plans to develop US-only releases from the outset.

Koukol

#116 Post by Koukol » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:45 pm

MichaelB wrote:So that's six titles confirmed - Mark of the Devil, Blind Woman's Curse, Day of Anger, Blood and Black Lace, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne, Massacre Gun - plus four more to be announced.
What a GREAT haul!
I contacted ArrowUK and asked where can Canadians can buy their product.
I was told I had to Import from Amazon US or Diabolik so I chose to order from Arrow directly.
Anyways, last week I was surprised to find some on Amazon CA.

ianungstad

#117 Post by ianungstad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Are there more June titles coming than what was leaked? MVD has a listing for Forbidden Zone to be released on June 23. I was wondering if this is an Arrow release or if this is an unrelated release coming from the same distributor. (There's no cover or specs for the US blu yet)

Ashirg

#118 Post by Ashirg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:11 pm

It's likely unrelated as studio is listed as Elfo Media Corp, registered to Richard Elfman and they are also releasing CD Soundtrack..

Adam X

#119 Post by Adam X » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:04 am

ianungstad wrote:Are there more June titles coming than what was leaked?
There are more titles to be announced at the end of this week, though I got the impression all of the forthcoming US releases were the 3 leaked early.

MichaelB

#120 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:33 am

ianungstad wrote:Are there more June titles coming than what was leaked? MVD has a listing for Forbidden Zone to be released on June 23. I was wondering if this is an Arrow release or if this is an unrelated release coming from the same distributor. (There's no cover or specs for the US blu yet)
Nothing to do with Arrow.

Also, to clear up some other speculation that's been flourishing elsewhere, Arrow is not the UK company being sued by Richard Elfman in connection with this film.

Lino

#121 Post by Lino » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:52 am

Since Arrow Video began its distribution in North America, I have a question bugging my mind like mad: are they working towards a deal of some sorts with the Russ Meyer estate to began distributing his films on both sides of the pond? Has restoration of his main works started? Am I dreaming too much?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#122 Post by tenia » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:10 pm

This will be interesting : http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arrow seems to have corrected the incorrect color space of Blind Woman's Curse... for the US release.

EddieLarkin

#123 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Whilst it's absolutely the right thing to do to have this corrected, it's also an acknowledgement that the first disc had something wrong with it. Arrow can explain to any potential complainers that they can correct the old disc themselves with their player, but that's not going to be any help for people with players that don't have the ability. So in that scenario I wonder if they'd offer a replacement disc (it probably won't come up, but eh, I'm curious)?

ianungstad

#124 Post by ianungstad » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:22 pm

A rep for arrow has been posting some teases over on the bluray.com forums. July will have three titles; a giallo; a spaghetti western and a euro-crime film. Arrow USA has 4 boxsets in various stages of production. No Russ Meyer.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#125 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:52 pm

It seems like we're due for another Arrow flash sale soon. It will be interesting to see how/if they coordinate the US and UK labels during the sales, though maybe we won't find that out until the next one (since they usually only have special offers for titles that are at least three months old).

Is there even a way yet to order Arrow USA titles directly from Arrow? This may seem silly, but I'd rather have the US editions, wherever possible, just to lose those BBFC ratings logo eyesores.