Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Morbii

Re: Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conject

#301 Post by Morbii » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:58 am

Thanks guys. I figured there must be a reason, and was just curious.

rapta

#302 Post by rapta » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:09 pm

M Sanderson wrote:I was thinking Into the Mirror, a South Korean film that I used to have the Tartan DVD of.
K-horror would almost certainly be under Arrow Video...no? And besides, it's basically confirmed as being Robert Siodmak's The Dark Mirror anyway...
kidc85 wrote:
Morbii wrote:Why has no one guessed the Tarkovsky?
Mosfilm confirmed the rights for Ivan's through Stalker are now with Criterion UK. The guess is AE squeezed out their blu-ray releases just before their rights ran out.
Despite this apparently being the case, with the Criterion releases of Solaris and Stalker coming out in the UK as well as the US, how does that explain why Criterion pulled Ivan's Childhood from their UK launch? I seem to remember there were product listings for it on Amazon and elsewhere, but then they were all removed when Criterion formally launched, so presumably they didn't have the rights at that point.

Also, Artificial Eye very recently released a box set containing all Tarkovsky titles. They wouldn't be able to do that if their rights had expired already, so there may be something more complicated going on with the rights to these, such as two or more libraries containing the rights to Tarkovsky's features.

NB. I have AE's release of Ivan's Childhood, but Criterion's Solaris and Stalker. Not sure whether to get any more AE releases as Criterion may announce the other Tarkovsky titles in the near future (for both the UK and US/Canada), so I may wait to see if that happens before buying anything else.

FrauBlucher

#303 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:37 am

I'm hoping Force of Evil gets announced by Arrow Academy today, but still not sure the rumored release is coming from them.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#304 Post by Drucker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:53 am

Lots of great announcements today, but as I'm trying to splurge less and watch my wallet for a number of reasons, I'll probably skip the November releases. I have 3/4 of the films in the Noir set and I just don't care for them or have only watched them once. The Becker/Ophuls film does look great though, and I could see myself picking that one up

rapta

#305 Post by rapta » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:58 am

Definitely in for the Four Film Noir Classics set and The Incredible Shrinking Man, possibly Montparnasse 19 too. Some great titles this month!

Guitry and Suzuki sets look great too but can only afford so much, so those will be on the wishlist. I assume the Guitry titles will get reissued separately once the set sells out.

Ribs

#306 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03 am

That is... not a safe bet, considering it's two films per disc, likely won't be flying off the shelves, and is dual-territory which will stall a rerelease further as Arrow releases for whatever reason sell much slower here as far as we know.

rapta

#307 Post by rapta » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:09 am

Correct, I didn't realise it was a Dual Format set - I read "Discs: 4" and assumed it was Blu-ray only. Oh well! Perhaps it'll take a while to sell out.

In other news, what's up with the Noirs set being limited to 2000 copies only? Surely bound to sell out quite fast with all those extras. I'm probably going to pre-order this one just in case.

FrauBlucher

#308 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:27 am

Then they could get stand alone releases.

Ribs

#309 Post by Ribs » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:29 pm

From Fran Simeoni on Twitter last week:
Hope everyone enjoyed the announcements on Friday and will do so on Monday too. Less than we wanted to get out so some surprises in 2017...

Dec and Jan slates be a touch lighter and back to full gear from Feb 18 with some nice surprises too I hope.

Some surprises in 2018 not 2017!
Presumably at the least referring to the additional Argento we know was supposed to be out by the end of the year.

What A Disgrace

#310 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 am

I wonder if Arrow could release Four Flies on Grey Velvet as their next Argento. Its owned by Shameless in the UK, but it'd be a major coup for the US market.

Ribs

#311 Post by Ribs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:55 am

It's possible, though the tease for more Argento came for releases in both territories.

ianungstad

#312 Post by ianungstad » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:56 pm

In the US Arrow uses the company Filmrise to digitally distribute their content. Filmrise also represents a number of other companies so it's hard to tell if these are future Arrow releases but I suspect that they are. They've recently added Images (Robert Altman), Morven Callar (Lynne Ramsay), Sweet Hereafter (Atom Egoyan), The Grand Duel (Giancarlo Santi) and Shoot First...Ask Questions Later (Sergio Corbucci)

They also added Prom Night 2: Hello Mary Lou on behalf of Synapse (another company they rep digitally)

rapta

#313 Post by rapta » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 pm

ianungstad wrote:In the US Arrow uses the company Filmrise to digitally distribute their content. Filmrise also represents a number of other companies so it's hard to tell if these are future Arrow releases but I suspect that they are. They've recently added Images (Robert Altman), Morven Callar (Lynne Ramsay), Sweet Hereafter (Atom Egoyan), The Grand Duel (Giancarlo Santi) and Shoot First...Ask Questions Later (Sergio Corbucci)

They also added Prom Night 2: Hello Mary Lou on behalf of Synapse (another company they rep digitally)
Very interesting. Arrow confirmed a while back they were looking to do more Altman, and Images would be excellent news since it's one of the less likely Altman titles to make it to HD anytime soon. Huge news if true! I'd also be hugely excited for Morvern Callar. I'm quite a big fan of Ramsay and would love to upgrade my DVD copy.

As for Spaghetti Westerns, all we know is that they do have some lined up - definitely Roy Colt & Winchester Jack (Bava) and Light the Fuse...Sartana is Coming (Carnimeo), according to the Scalarama site - but we've yet to see if it'll those two will also appear. The Grand Duel would be particularly excellent (big fan of Van Cleef...who isn't?), and whilst the latter wouldn't be my first choice in terms of Corbucci, there's no denying he's one of the masters of the sub-genre.

The odd one out here is The Sweet Hereafter. As far as I know Artificial Eye still have the UK rights, so unless they just plan to release that in the US/Canada, I doubt that's coming from them. Is it not still with Warner Bros in the US though?

StevenJ0001

#314 Post by StevenJ0001 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:00 pm

rapta wrote:The odd one out here is The Sweet Hereafter. As far as I know Artificial Eye still have the UK rights, so unless they just plan to release that in the US/Canada, I doubt that's coming from them. Is it not still with Warner Bros in the US though?
I hope Arrow does have it. I bought the Canadian Blu-ray and the contrast is terrible (milky blacks), unlike the old US DVD, which is pretty good.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#315 Post by Drucker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 am

***RELEASE DATE UPDATES***

Unfortunately due to some last minute production delays, we are having to inform you of some date revisions on a few upcoming titles. The revised release dates are as follows:

The Untamed - 9th October
Le Plasir - 23rd October
Voice of the Moon - 30th October (UK) 31st October (US)
Zoology - UK date unaffected (30th Oct) 14th November (US)
After The Storm - 27th November
Family Values: Three Films by Hirokazu Kore-eda - 27th November

We can only apologise for any disappointment these delays will cause and very much hope you all enjoy the releases once they arrive in your hands

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#316 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:21 am

The Godard / Gorin set is now scheluded for late October, while I believe it originally was late September.

Costa

#317 Post by Costa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 am

Any guesses for Arrow Academy's full moon clue for Monday's announcements?

Moonstruck? Moonlighting (1982)? Moon (2009)?
what else it could be?

AidanKing

#318 Post by AidanKing » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:26 am

Could it be Bertolucci's La Luna? I very much hope so.

What A Disgrace

#319 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:28 am

I am hoping its Moonlighting.

ianungstad

#320 Post by ianungstad » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:45 am

ianungstad wrote:In the US Arrow uses the company Filmrise to digitally distribute their content. Filmrise also represents a number of other companies so it's hard to tell if these are future Arrow releases but I suspect that they are. They've recently added Images (Robert Altman), Morven Callar (Lynne Ramsay), Sweet Hereafter (Atom Egoyan), The Grand Duel (Giancarlo Santi) and Shoot First...Ask Questions Later (Sergio Corbucci)

I assumed this was Synapse because they released the first Prom Night but with Arrow's teaser today...maybe it was added on behalf of Arrow?

rapta

#321 Post by rapta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Most likely gonna be either Rohmer's Full Moon in Paris or Polanski's Bitter Moon since they released both on DVD, but I'm rooting for Forman's Man on the Moon or Paul Newman's The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds myself (however unlikely either may be).

Really hope the Arrow Video clue is De Palma's Carrie. Would pre-order that one right away! :)

DRW.mov

#322 Post by DRW.mov » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm guessing the Academy hint is for MOON IN THE GUTTER which is with Gaumont but has yet to see a UK release.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#323 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Favorites of the Moon?

Ribs

#324 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm

I really hope it's a Comedies and Proverbs set, despite Arrow warning they'll have a reduced docket for December and January.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#325 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:06 pm

rapta wrote:The odd one out here is The Sweet Hereafter. As far as I know Artificial Eye still have the UK rights, so unless they just plan to release that in the US/Canada, I doubt that's coming from them. Is it not still with Warner Bros in the US though?
Per Warner's repertory division they no longer have the U.S. theatrical rights, so it's a safe extrapolation that WB no longer has any rights to it at all. A fair number of New Line titles (especially those released under the Fine Line label) were pickups and most of those deals won't last forever; for example, Short Cuts, Naked, and Once Were Warriors have already been released by other companies with no WB involvement.