Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

DRW.mov

Re: Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conject

#326 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:24 pm

US fans – although we have don’t have any brand new titles to share with you in December you may be pleased to hear that we are currently working on a VERY special US exclusive release. Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite ready for today’s announcements but we hope to have some news on this soon…

Time to start speculating what Big US only title they're holding onto!

I've got to think it's Four Flies on Grey Velvet because Shameless handles it in the UK and there's no US blu ray as of yet. On top of Arrow continually promising more Argento.

What A Disgrace

#327 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Four Flies on Grey Velvet sounds like a very good guess, and that's what I'd put my money on. Were this last year, I'd have guessed Re-Animator, but that has come to pass.

But, realizing that Dawn of the Dead isn't in print on Blu-ray in the USA...that would be "VERY special" indeed.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#328 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Or Martin?

DRW.mov

#329 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Martin and Dawn are both such big ticket licenses (the reason they're OOP to begin with is because the producer is asking outrageous sums) that I feel like they would secure them for the UK well before they tried to get US rights, let alone US only.

US only suggests that it's a big title already under another label in the UK. A la Re-Animator

Max von Mayerling

#330 Post by Max von Mayerling » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Is it possible that it would be their Deep Red limited edition set, issued for the US market?

DRW.mov

#331 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:33 pm

Max von Mayerling wrote:Is it possible that it would be their Deep Red limited edition set, issued for the US market?
Doubtful with Blue Undergound still in print.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#332 Post by tenia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:59 pm

DRW.mov wrote:I'm guessing the Academy hint is for MOON IN THE GUTTER which is with Gaumont but has yet to see a UK release.
I dont believe Gaumont have the video rights.

DRW.mov

#333 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:05 pm

tenia wrote:
DRW.mov wrote:I'm guessing the Academy hint is for MOON IN THE GUTTER which is with Gaumont but has yet to see a UK release.
I dont believe Gaumont have the video rights.
According to IMDb Pro and the big Gaumont logo that opens the US Cinema Libre DVD and Blu ray, yes they do.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#334 Post by tenia » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:04 am

On DVD Classik, we rely on Gaumont's catalogue and it doesn't return any result for Beineix.
Regarding La lune dans le caniveau, it's a Gaumont co-production which was released on DVD in France through M6, never Gaumont. IMDB (regular) also states that Gaumont only had theatrical rights.

But I asked Jerome Soulet on DVD Classik about it. If he answers, I'll post the reply here.

Alphonse Tram

#335 Post by Alphonse Tram » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:34 am

DRW.mov wrote:
US fans – although we have don’t have any brand new titles to share with you in December you may be pleased to hear that we are currently working on a VERY special US exclusive release. Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite ready for today’s announcements but we hope to have some news on this soon…

Time to start speculating what Big US only title they're holding onto!

I've got to think it's Four Flies on Grey Velvet because Shameless handles it in the UK and there's no US blu ray as of yet. On top of Arrow continually promising more Argento.
It's not Four Flies or Martin.

Morbii

#336 Post by Morbii » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:35 am

If it’s Dawn of the Dead I may have an accident in my pants.

Alphonse Tram

#337 Post by Alphonse Tram » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:45 am

Morbii wrote:If it’s Dawn of the Dead I may have an accident in my pants.
Your pants are safe.

vidussoni

#338 Post by vidussoni » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Perhaps we are getting the Deep Red boxset that the UK got last year.

ianungstad

#339 Post by ianungstad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:35 am

Maybe The Masque of the Red Death? The Shout Vincent Price set has been OOP for quite awhile and MGM only has US rights. (Studio Canal in the UK)

Ribs

#340 Post by Ribs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:39 am

Jesus, if this is supposed to be a quiet month one can't help but wonder what a regular one going forward will be

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#341 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:43 am

Ribs wrote:Jesus, if this is supposed to be a quiet month one can't help but wonder what a regular one going forward will be
If past months were any clues, Arrow clearly amped up their pace during 2015 and then again in 2016 with some of their lighter months "only" having 5 or 6 new releases... I saw months with 9 new releases and multiple individual releases. On top of that, it seems they won't go easy on boxsets, so this will just add up some more stuff.
Now, the question will be : can they do all this without hassle and over-straining their resources ?

rapta

#342 Post by rapta » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:01 pm

Almost certainly one or two of these sets will be pushed into 2018. Seems like they've got a lot on in the next few months in terms of box sets alone: The Thing, Romero and Godard/Gorin next month; Noir, Guitry, Suzuki and Koreeda in November; Carrie, The Apartment and Rohmer in December. That's ignoring all the 'regular' titles in-between, of which there are dozens! I'd be very impressed if they could get all of these out before Christmas.

Bumstead

#343 Post by Bumstead » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:20 pm

It's going to be a very expensive Christmas, that's for sure.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#344 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:39 pm

rapta wrote:Almost certainly one or two of these sets will be pushed into 2018.
I would understand a situation like that to happen, but what I fear more is delays to happen on a regular basis because Arrow overloaded themselves with more that they can handle (except if they hired a significant amount of new producers, but I don't think they did).
I also hope that more authoring / encoding houses will be handle high-quality restorations like David does, because he can only do so many titles at a time.

rapta

#345 Post by rapta » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:07 pm

tenia wrote:
I would understand a situation like that to happen, but what I fear more is delays to happen on a regular basis because Arrow overloaded themselves with more that they can handle (except if they hired a significant amount of new producers, but I don't think they did).
I also hope that more authoring / encoding houses will be handle high-quality restorations like David does, because he can only do so many titles at a time.
Indeed, Indicator have already admitted that David won't be doing every one of their titles in future. In the UK alone he has been doing a lot of titles for Arrow, Eureka, Signal One, StudioCanal (and probably BFI too, I just haven't noticed) on top of all of those. He's definitely doing The Thing and Carrie for Arrow, so I expect he'll be doing some of these bigger titles from Arrow too (most likely The Apartment, probably the upcoming Noir and Rohmer sets).

The mass delays may be more common in the next year or so, if they do get into trouble. They recently announced a string of delays to their Academy slate, and I could see the same happening again in the next few months. We'll see - they've certainly been churning out quality all year around, so perhaps their team has expanded to keep up with the workload?

Finch

#346 Post by Finch » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm

The Academy announcements have been consistently better than Video which, despite 4k restos for Garcia, The Thing etc, I frankly found rather disappointing. Raoul Ruiz for 2018 please! And if I can be really extravagant or wishful, Cure as an in-house resto by Arrow themselves. It's so frustrating to see the Kurosawas being handed over in dated masters.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#347 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Dare I hope for Arrow to upgrade their old Chabrol sets?

MichaelB

#348 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:59 pm

tenia wrote:
I'm massively out of the Arrow loop now, but I know they've hired at least one new full-time producer in the last few weeks - James Blackford, formerly of the BFI and in general the producer of the most Arrowesque BFI releases, so he'll be an excellent fit. And Marc Walkow's Arrow output this year seems to be as prolific as mine ever was.

dwk

#349 Post by dwk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:04 pm

MichaelB wrote: I'm massively out of the Arrow loop now, but I know they've hired at least one new full-time producer in the last few weeks - James Blackford, formerly of the BFI and in general the producer of the most Arrowesque BFI releases, so he'll be an excellent fit. And Marc Walkow's Arrow output this year seems to be as prolific as mine ever was.
Is Marc Walkow still working for Arrow? Based on some of his twitter comments I got the impression that he isn't.

rapta

#350 Post by rapta » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Some interesting news in regards to Jia Zhangke's MOUNTAINS MAY DEPART. Previously thought to have been with New Wave Films, I was scanning through the Launching Films site and noticed it's now apparently coming from Arrow Films (finally being released this coming December).

I guess that's good news as it'll almost certainly be an Arrow Academy Blu-ray release - probably with a reissue of A TOUCH OF SIN, possibly as a mini-box set - but bad news if indeed New Wave Films had to let it go. They apparently planned to release it along with Walter Salles' documentary JIA ZHANGKE, A GUY FROM FENYANG, which Arrow may have picked up as well (it'd be a hefty extra for any home video release of either film).