Forthcoming: A Fistful of Fingers

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Forthcoming: A Fistful of Fingers

#1 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Edgar Wright has confirmed on Instagram that Arrow will release his first film

knives

Re: Forthcoming: A Fistful of Fingers

#2 Post by knives » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Guess we've finally hit the bottom of the barrel. Though it probably will make them more than the average release so, shrug.

dda1996a

#3 Post by dda1996a » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Why is that? I'm not his biggest fan but Wright has a big following and this is his unseen debut, fail to see what's wrong with this. Plus this is way more interesting than most horror schlock they release

*** Failed connect to http://moderate3.cleantalk.org/api2.0. Automoderator cleantalk.org ***
Last edited by dda1996a on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#4 Post by knives » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:36 pm

I'm a huge fan of Wright, but even by his own admission it barely rates above a home movie.

dda1996a

#5 Post by dda1996a » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Well he did say it will be packed with extras. I'd also imagine it's like Kubrick's Fear and Desire, not worth much as a film but essential as a director's early steps. Maybe they'll put some Spaced episodes?

mrb404

#6 Post by mrb404 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:30 pm

That shouldn't be too long now as the cover was just teased on the postcard in the Strip Nude for Your Killer Blu-Ray release (Region A).

jfish226

#7 Post by jfish226 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:38 pm

mrb404 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:30 pm
That shouldn't be too long now as the cover was just teased on the postcard in the Strip Nude for Your Killer Blu-Ray release (Region A).
Yeah, the postcard in Audition had A Fistfull of Fingers, Cruising, and Southland Tales covers.

midnitedave

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#8 Post by midnitedave » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Looks like Arrow will be releasing Edgar Wright's Fistful of Fingers.

eerik

#9 Post by eerik » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:20 am

dshooker wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:20 pm
Looks like Arrow will be releasing Edgar Wright's Fistful of Fingers.
Can't see the image you posted, but it was confirmed by Wright last year.

Edit: Two years ago

rapta

#10 Post by rapta » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Wonder what the long wait is for? I suggested a while back that perhaps Arrow are assembling an Edgar Wright box set of sorts through their Universal dealings, but then again surely there is limited appeal for such a set since the studio discs already have plenty of extras (not to mention the recent release of 'The Cornetto Trilogy' on UHD). Another possibility is they're actually restoring one or two of his earlier short films (thought it'd be fun if they managed to get Don't as well). Either way it'll show up eventually, as there were postcards featuring it inside at least a couple of my Arrow purchases over the years.

therewillbeblus

#11 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:09 am

After what may be the a new bar set for worst non-joke ever as the opening punchline, there are actually a few clever gags satirizing western and indestructible hero tropes, though they play like a less funny The Whitest Kids You Know skit trying to be Monty Python for Halloween and stretched to movie-length. knives is right that this is little more than an amateur home movie, but for that it’s impressive enough. I’m a fan of Wright so seeing him fool around and be resourceful with the limitations of materials and cast at his disposal is more interesting in the context of his later work, especially how he plays with editing which inspires his best bits and some of the action scenes are unexpectedly the most creative parts (this shouldn’t be surprising given his intelligence around action in his other films, but he’s really got a knack for it here, far outweighing the rest). I’m glad someone is releasing this for fans- it’s hardly got a chance at becoming a cult classic, and it’s far too inconsistent to be a group-slapstick bad-movie, but as a low budget first film of a talented artist throwing everything at the wall, it’s a worthy document that’s sporadically amusing.