Arrow Films

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

MichaelB

Re: Arrow Films

#1351 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:12 am

Mulholland Drive is indeed permanently with StudioCanal as a by-product of them partly funding it in the first place.

You can't really argue with that!

Adam X

#1352 Post by Adam X » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:19 am

Yep, for better or worse.

colinr0380

#1353 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:22 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Wasn't he in Bigelow's first movie? Seems like the kind of thing Arrow would be into
Yes, The Loveless. Blue Underground released it on DVD a number of years ago (around the same time as Susan Seidelman's own debut feature Smithereens) but I don't think it has turned up in the UK so far.

R0lf

#1354 Post by R0lf » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:37 pm

The Blue Underground release of THE LOVELESS went out of print a few months ago.

It's a decent homoerotic movie.

Cronenfly

#1355 Post by Cronenfly » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:01 am

The Bigelow seems like a good bet, given that we already know that The Crazies (another former Blue Underground title) is forthcoming.

And Light Sleeper got an acceptable DVD from Momentum in the UK some years ago, in proper anamorphic widescreen (though PAL) and with commentary by Schrader (full film) and Sarandon/Dafoe (select scene). Link here.

Cronenfly

#1357 Post by Cronenfly » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Whoops, that does make it seem quite a bit less likely then. In light of this, I truly have no idea what it will be, and I just noticed that Light Sleeper looks to be with Studiocanal in the UK right now. So I'll guess Go Go Tales will come out of whatever the hell limbo it is in, just for fun.

colinr0380

#1358 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:35 pm

Has there been any recent UK release of Shadow of the Vampire?

rapta

#1359 Post by rapta » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:56 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Has there been any recent UK release of Shadow of the Vampire?
Was last released by Metrodome, who folded a few months ago, so I'm hoping Arrow managed to get it - as they did with Donnie Darko, which they actually got quite a while before Metrodome went into administration.

Talking of Metrodome titles, I wonder if Arrow could get Black Christmas and essentially port the Shout Factory release over here (obviously adding a booklet too)?

There are several others I'd love to see get picked up for Blu-ray - especially Richard Linklater's Slacker, Andrew Dominik's Chopper, Wim Wenders' Until the End of the World, and Na Hong-jin's The Chaser. A few Refn titles up for grabs it seems, and Metrodome did once release Sam Fuller's Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss, but I doubt they still had the rights to those two.

colinr0380

#1360 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Maybe also a Blu-ray release of Lucile Hadzihalilovic's film Evolution. It was one of Metrodome's last releases, but they only managed to get it out on DVD. Perhaps pair it with Innocence, which was an old Tartan Video release!

nolanoe

#1361 Post by nolanoe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:34 am

Quick question: what is this THE BEYOND re-release all about? Is it a new scan? I wasn't... too happy with the old one. It was OK, I guess, but didn't hold up to the presentation that I saw watching it in a cinema a decade or so ago.

Anthony Thorne

#1362 Post by Anthony Thorne » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:05 pm

What re-release? Where was this mentioned? They could benefit from doing a new scan, it's true.

Cronenfly

#1363 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:26 pm

I would say that, until proven otherwise, it is most likely a Blu-only slim-down of their old release. Otherwise I imagine there would have been quite a bit more fanfare surrounding the news. Link here.

rapta

#1364 Post by rapta » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:25 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Maybe also a Blu-ray release of Lucile Hadzihalilovic's film Evolution. It was one of Metrodome's last releases, but they only managed to get it out on DVD. Perhaps pair it with Innocence, which was an old Tartan Video release!
Yes! Sorry, that's another I hope gets picked up (or has been picked up). I have been meaning to see it all year, and saw the DVD in my local Sainsbury's at one point (for a fiver), but held off when I realised a title like this might get snatched up by a more caring distributor.

I say "more caring" because I bought the Metrodome DVD release of Eden (Mia Hansen-Løve) recently and the encode was pretty rough for a modern film. Would be grateful for a UK Blu-ray of that one, as well as The Chaser (Na Hong-jin), Prince Avalanche (David Gordon Green), The Secret in Their Eyes (Juan José Campanella), and Palo Alto (Gia Coppola), but not sure any of those would come from any of the major UK labels (though perhaps Artificial Eye or Soda may be interested).

One other Metrodome title I'd like to see Arrow Video pick up is De Palma's Passion. I wonder how likely that is though, given that it is quite a recent title and they might be stuck as far as extras go, having put so much into their previous releases of his films. He is pretty popular at the moment though, so they would be wise to go for it and find an angle to make it an Arrow Video release.

Ribs

#1365 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:15 pm

Here's a brief sizzle reel for Arrow Academy US showing some peeks at the new restos (Ludwig doesn't look great, sadly), but most tantalizing is a series of short clips of what's to come at the end, presumably including some unannounced releases (some of which, based on appearances, seem likely to be the follow-up to Yoshida.) Can anyone identify any of them?

(Or are they all just past UK releases? Two of the snippets are certainly from Three Brothers.)
Last edited by Ribs on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1366 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:16 pm

I guarantee Ludwig looks better than it ever did shoved onto one DVD

criterionsnob

#1367 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:37 pm

Does anyone know what film it is with Joe Dallesandro on the motorcycle in this clip?

rockysds

#1368 Post by rockysds » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:05 pm

It's Merry-Go-Round which will presumably either get a US standalone or get packaged with Duelle/Noroit.

Ribs

#1369 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:08 pm

The images of Mariko Okada are from Eros + Massacre, which is strange, considering I have a hard time imagining the set being rereleased would get many more sales than the currently region free release which seems to have had sales slow to a halt.

Calvin

#1370 Post by Calvin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:11 pm

I wonder if the Academy expansion will lead to Arrow doing more of their own restorations for that line?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1371 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:48 pm

That just leaves a shot of a bearded Phillippe Noiret

Ribs

#1372 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:52 pm

As I said, that was from Three Brothers (as is the preceding shot of the older man). So I guess there's no update, really - just stuff we already have coming to the US!

Considering this month's huge slate I hope the Academy range is able to really thrive in the US but I hope it's not just a bunch of rereleases for a few months.

kekid

#1373 Post by kekid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:48 pm

I have two box sets of Claude Chabrol films from Arrow. Is there a reason they have not considered these for Blu-ray?
For me, these are the vintage Chabrols. So many of the lesser Chabrols have been released on Blu-ray, while these have suffered neglect.
A boxed set of 10 or more Chabrols from Arrow, similar to their Fassbinder collection, would be wonderful. Let us hope this happens in 2017.
(If this is not the right place to post this, please move it to wherever it should be. Thank you.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1374 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm with you. I'd love to see a massive Chabrol Blu-ray box. Now there's a huge box I'd gladly take a mortgage out for. I think the reason is obvious though-- these films all look like garbage in every home video release and would need some massive restoration

jsteffe

#1375 Post by jsteffe » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:28 am

I have Arrow's Fassbinder box set and love it dearly, but it couldn't hope to compete with a Blu-ray set of prime Chabrol films from 1968-1975.