Indicator

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

rapta

Re: Indicator

#201 Post by rapta » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Costa wrote:What can we expect from this Universal deal? What does it have that it doesn't want them and will licence to others?
Also, what other label has a Universal deal?

(I'm blind concerning rights etc.)
Arrow have an active Universal deal, as far as I know. Be interesting to see what Indicator got that Arrow didn't...of course, Arrow managed to wrestle The Thing for a brand new restoration (a rarity for Universal).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#202 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Feb - Technicolor Show Boat??

jazzo

#203 Post by jazzo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:42 pm

So am I.

Does that mean that an Arrow Region A of Charley Varrick is a posibility, because I would love that.

This was in response to Costa:

What can we expect from this Universal deal? What does it have that it doesn't want them and will licence to others?
Also, what other label has a Universal deal?

(I'm blind concerning rights etc.)

R0lf

#204 Post by R0lf » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Drucker wrote:
HJackson wrote:Universal has their own titles, early Paramount stuff, and RKO if I remember properly. Would love to see some Sternbergs coming out of this!
I asked Anthony from Arrow about this a while back, and he said Arrow had actually licensed the Paramount Sternberg titles but the masters weren't in good enough shape to release. Doesn't bode well for anyone but the likes of Olive, then, I suppose.
I'm more than happy with the French blu ray of BLONDE VENUS and if we get other Sternberg's in similar quality that would be just fine.

hearthesilence

#205 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:06 pm

R0lf wrote:
Drucker wrote:
HJackson wrote:Universal has their own titles, early Paramount stuff, and RKO if I remember properly. Would love to see some Sternbergs coming out of this!
I asked Anthony from Arrow about this a while back, and he said Arrow had actually licensed the Paramount Sternberg titles but the masters weren't in good enough shape to release. Doesn't bode well for anyone but the likes of Olive, then, I suppose.
I'm more than happy with the French blu ray of BLONDE VENUS and if we get other Sternberg's in similar quality that would be just fine.
I think this came up here with regards to Ernst Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise, but this is the big problem with Paramount titles from this era - when they were sold off to Universal, the negatives were generally trashed after being replaced by dupes. This was why Trouble in Paradise was issued only on DVD and not on Blu-Ray by Eureka/MoC - the image was already soft and grainy enough that the difference in quality was considered insufficient to warrant a BD release. (FYI, their DVD is still much better than Criterion's, which looks much softer.)

R0lf

#206 Post by R0lf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:20 am

It'd be great if we got some later Liz Taylor.

X Y & ZEE (Columbia) and the Losey duo BOOM! and SECRET CEREMONY (Universal) would all be welcome.

Gerald Christie

#207 Post by Gerald Christie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:24 am

Here's hoping that through the Universal deal they release Midnight (1939) and The Heiress (1949). Two terrific films that have yet to be released on bluray and that are begging to get the Indicator treatment. Besides, we need more screwball comedies.

Costa

#208 Post by Costa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Can someone remind me what TT titles could possibly Indicator release? (of what studio)
There is a TT sale, and i want to give my attention to the titles that Indicator wouldn't release.

Apperson

#209 Post by Apperson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:02 am

New titles announced, which include domino's favourite Best Picture nominee:
HAMMER VOLUME TWO: CRIMINAL INTENT
THE SNORKEL (Guy Green, 1958)
NEVER TAKE SWEETS FROM A STRANGER (Cyril Frankel, 1960)
THE FULL TREATMENT (Val Guest, 1960)
CASH ON DEMAND (Quentin Lawrence, 1961)

Release date: 19 February 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (World premieres on Blu-ray)

Four classic thrillers from the vaults of Hammer Films released on Blu-ray for the very first time, including premiere presentations of the complete, uncensored UK theatrical release versions of Val Guest’s The Full Treatment and Cyril Frankel’s Never Take Sweets from a Stranger and a host of new and exclusive extra features. This stunning Limited Blu-ray Edition Box Set from Indicator is strictly limited to 6,000 numbered units.

INDICATOR LIMITED BLU-RAY EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• HD restorations of all four films
• Original Mono audio
• New title-specific documentaries exploring aspects of each film
• Two presentations of Never Take Sweets from a Stranger : the original UK theatrical cut, containing original titles and dialogue; and the alternative US version with amended Never Take Candy from a Stranger titles and censored dialogue
• Never Take Sweets from a Stranger introduction by actor and filmmaker Matthew Holness
• Archival audio interview with Never Take Sweets from a Stranger director Cyril Frankel
• Two presentations of The Full Treatment: the uncensored UK theatrical cut; and the censored US version with alternative Stop Me Before I Kill! titles
• Audio commentary with film historian Michael Brooke and author Johnny Mains on The Snorkel
• Audio commentary with film historians Jonathan Rigby and David Miller on Cash on Demand
• New and exclusive interviews with cast and crew members, including actors Janina Faye (Never Take Sweets from a Stranger) and Lois Daine (Cash on Demand), props master Peter Allchorne (The Snorkel) and second assistant director Hugh Harlow (The Snorkel)
• Appreciations of composers Elizabeth Lutyens (Never Take Sweets from a Stranger) and Francis Chagrin (The Snorkel) by David Huckvale, author of Hammer Film Scores and the Musical Avant-Garde
• Hammer’s Women: Betta St John (2018): Diabolique magazine’s editor-in-chief Kat Ellinger offers an appreciation of the American actress, singer and dancer
• Hammer’s Women: Gwen Watford (2018): British cinema expert Dr Laura Mayne explores the life and career of the prolific English film, stage and television actress
• Hammer’s Women: Diane Cilento (2018): Dr Melanie Williams, author of Female Stars of British Cinema, explores the life and career of the Australian theatre and film actress and author
• Hammer’s Women: Lois Daine (2018): critic and author Becky Booth on the popular English film and television actress
• Archival documentaries, interviews and featurettes
• Original trailers
• Image galleries: extensive promotional and on-set photography, poster art and marketing materials
• Exclusive booklets for each film, with new essays by Kat Ellinger, Julian Upton and Kim Newman, archival interview materials, contemporary reviews, and full film credits
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• World Blu-ray premieres of all four films
• Limited Edition Box Set of 6,000 numbered copie
SHIP OF FOOLS
(Stanley Kramer, 1965)
Release date: 19 February 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Stanley Kramer’s star-studded, Oscar®-winning adaptation of Katherine Anne Porter’s novel about passengers aboard an ocean liner bound to Germany from Mexico in 1933 forms a potent allegory of a world drifting inexorably towards war. With its incredible cast – including Vivien Leigh (in her last screen role), Simone Signoret, Lee Marvin, George Segal, Oskar Werner and Jose Ferrer – Ship of Fools is a powerful drama and a compelling viewing experience. It remains one of the finest ensemble pieces of the period.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with Nick Redman, Lem Dobbs and Julie Kirgo
• Karen Kramer Introduction (2007, 2 mins)
• On Board the Ship of Fools (2007, 28 mins)
• Voyage on a Soundstage (2007, 11 mins)
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Neil Sinyard, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies

MichaelB

#210 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 am

From the new Home Cinema Choice:

Not bad for a label that didn’t even exist sixteen months ago.

HJackson

#211 Post by HJackson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Well deserved too.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#212 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:21 pm

I did go from owning zero of their releases to more than 20 this year. Funny though that of all the titles they could highlight, they pick Ghosts of Mars.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#213 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:29 pm

In all fairness, if they wanted to highlight more recent movies released by Indicator, there aren't much outside of Ghost of Mars (and Vampires). Considering how Indicator are releasing so little more recent movies, I'd say it's rather the highlighting of these "more recent cult fares" that seems like a bad writing idea.

Fiery Angel

#214 Post by Fiery Angel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Darn...I thought someone was linking to a new Indicator sale.

MichaelB

#215 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 am

Indicator's March releases:

GUMSHOE
(Stephen Frears, 1971)
Release date: 19 March 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (World Blu-ray premiere) - pre-order here

This brilliant feature debut from director Stephen Frears (My Beautiful Laundrette, Dangerous Liaisons, The Grifters) is an affectionate – and uniquely British – tribute to the Hollywood detective movies of the 1940s. Starring the great Albert Finney (Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Murder on the Orient Express, Skyfall) as a Liverpool bingo caller who dreams of being a private eye and then finds himself suddenly contacted for what appears to be an actual piece of detective work.

• Original mono audio
• New interview with director Stephen Frears (2018)
• New interview with screenwriter and actor Neville Smith (2018)
• New interview with Director of Photography Chris Menges (2018)
• The Burning (1967, 31 mins): Frears’ haunting debut short film
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Robert Murphy, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD037
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071168
OTLEY
(Dick Clement, 1969)

Gerry Otley (Tom Courtenay – The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Billy Liar, 45 Years) is a charming scrounger who stumbles unwittingly into espionage, murder and double crossing as he is mistaken for a spy, kidnapped, and then becomes romantically embroiled with a sexy foreign agent, played by Romy Schneider (Purple Noon, Ludwig, Death Watch).
Adeptly balancing thrills and laughs, this Sixties comic spy thriller from writer-director Dick Clement (TV’s The Likely Lads, Porridge, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet) is a stellar addition to the British canon of post-Bond spy flicks.

• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with director Dick Clement
• The Guardian Lecture with Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais (2008): archival audio recording of an interview conducted by Dick Fiddy at London’s National Film Theatre
• New interview with actor Tom Courtenay (2018)
• New interview with actor Phyllida Law (2018)
• New interview with actor Freddie Jones (2018)
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Laura Mayne, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film

#PHILTD036
BBFC cert: PG
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071151
THE PASSENGER
(Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975)
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere) - pre-order here

In one of the most acclaimed films of all time, Michelangelo Antonioni (Blow-up, Zabriskie Point) directed international star Jack Nicholson (The Last Detail, The Border, Wolf) and Maria Schneider (Last Tango in Paris) in an elliptical and fascinating thriller about alienation and lost identities. Now finally making its Blu-ray debut in the UK, this essential work from one of cinema’s most renowned and celebrated film artists is accompanied by an array of fascinating and insightful extra features.

• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with actor Jack Nicholson
• Audio commentary with screenwriter Mark Peploe and journalist Aurora Irvine
• New interview with actor Steven Berkoff (2018)
• New interview with actor Jenny Runacre (2018)
• Antonioni: 'Profession Reporter' (1975, 4 mins): the director discusses the film in an interview conducted at the 1975 Cannes Film Festival
• Michelangelo Antonioni – à propos du cinéma (1975, 5 mins): Antonioni discusses his philosophy of cinema
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Amy Simmons, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray

#PHILTD049
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071243
TOWN ON TRIAL
(John Guillermin, 1957)

Investigating a murder in a small English town, a brusque Police Inspector (John Mills – Hobson's Choice, Ice Cold in Alex, Young Winston) discovers that virtually everyone he encounters has something to hide. Setting the template for British crime thrillers for decades to come (including recent TV hit Broadchurch), director John Guillermin’s audacious, often salacious, drama is untypical of mainstream British cinema of its time. An intelligent and gripping police-procedural thriller and macabre melodrama, Town on Trial is a rare treat which is ripe for rediscovery.

• Original mono audio
• The John Player Lecture with John Mills (1970): archival audio recording of an interview conducted by Margaret Hinxman at London’s National Film Theatre
• New interview with actor Elizabeth Seal (2018)
• An appreciation by film historian and journalist Barry Forshaw (2018)
• Adventure in the Hopfields (1954, 60 mins): starring Mandy Miller (The Snorkel), this Children's Film Foundation drama from director John Guillermin was once thought to be lost
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Neil Sinyard, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film

#PHILTD050
BBFC cert: TBC
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071250

Mr. Deltoid

#216 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 am

What an excellent slate! I suspect the Antonioni may get the lions-share of the attention this month, but those other titles are, for me, just as worthy. Gumshoe will be very high on my list of purchases in the coming-months, not only because it's a fine film, but because those extras are pretty ace in themselves. The Burning (Frears short film) is a really fine, tense piece of work. I only saw it recently (it pops-up occasionally here in the UK on Talking Pictures), but it's almost worth the price-tag alone.
I've never seen Town on Trial, but it sounds right up my alley (50's, British). The inclusion of the CFF film is a welcome surprise, especially since the BFI's periodic releases have seemingly come to a halt.

Keep up the good work Indicator!

rapta

#217 Post by rapta » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 am

Had heard rumours Frears' Gumshoe was on its way (curious to see it) but never thought they'd manage to bag Antonioni's The Passenger! Day one for me. The kind of title I assumed Criterion would grab (and Eureka are probably quietly seething too). Might even be their biggest debut to date?

What A Disgrace

#218 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm buying Gumshoe and Town on Trial for the extra films on the Blu-rays, and I might as well get Otley. The Passenger goes without saying.

rapta

#219 Post by rapta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Ribs wrote:Yes, but people on Blu-ray's forum lack that common sense and have been speculating about Anatomy of a Murder and other titles for months.

I'd actually imagine it goes both ways, to be honest, and should be an indication Criterion has no plans for the Passenger at the moment.
I have seen those posts and occasionally responded to them with the above logic. Of course, one that came up a few times was The Last Picture Show, which I noticed the extras for have been recently submitted to the BBFC, so I imagine a standalone Criterion release is imminent in both territories (finally). Strange that they haven't yet released Five Easy Pieces over here yet though.

And yes, I was surprised Indicator managed to get The Passenger but like you say that must be because for whatever reason, Criterion don't have it planned for the immediate future (at least a few years I'm guessing). Perhaps the prospect of a restoration is a long way off and they weren't interested in releasing the current master, or maybe there were some rights issues in the US that a UK release was able to bypass (I highly doubt Criterion would be interested in doing a UK exclusive if there was trouble getting rights for North America).

Big Ben

#220 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:55 pm

I believe Jack Nicholson himself owns the rights to The Passenger, at least in the US? If that is indeed the case Criterion could have asked for it at anytime and I'm sure he would have obliged.

MichaelB

#221 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:16 pm

Although Nicholson is indeed the ultimate rightsholder, I believe Sony currently represents the title worldwide on his behalf, as per the deal that he struck with them in the mid-2000s.

M Sanderson

#222 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:13 pm

Glad to say Blue Collar, Charley Varrick & The Border all look very good. I’d been concerned given they were Universal properties.

mistakaninja

#223 Post by mistakaninja » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:12 am

Three of the four April titles, which will be announced next week, will be from a new studio deal. The fourth title looks like it'll be Mankiewicz's Suddenly, Last Summer, from the photo they tweeted.

Apperson

#224 Post by Apperson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:22 am

Also of note, Suddenly, Last Summer and two of the other three title will be 4k restorations.

mistakaninja

#225 Post by mistakaninja » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Little Murders was the clue in the last newsletter, so it's probably a Fox deal. There hasn't been a Little Murders blu anywhere, so no suggestion that being 4K. But Twilight Time just announced Blue Denim and No Down Payment as part of their Fox deal, with 4k scans. Would be nice if Indicator got on them immediately so I wasn't tempted to sell a kidney to import the TT discs. Think Dragonwyck and The Incident are also Fox 4K scans from TT, so I guess the same goes for them.