Indicator

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Indicator

#226 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:49 pm

I'm sworn to secrecy 'til it's announced, but at least one of TT's recent Fox announcements will be getting a deluxe treatment in the UK soon

What A Disgrace

#227 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:48 pm

domino harvey wrote:I'm sworn to secrecy 'til it's announced, but at least one of TT's recent Fox announcements will be getting a deluxe treatment in the UK soon
oh God its Doctor Doolittle isn't it

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#228 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:28 pm

MichaelB wrote:Suddenly, Last Summer
The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds
Little Murders
Three incredible films and three great looking releases. Marigolds is the Fox title I alluded to upthread

rapta

#229 Post by rapta » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:39 pm

In for Little Murders and Marigolds myself. Had never heard of the former until it was teased in last month's newsletter, but I love 70's Elliot Gould (and Arkin of course), and the latter is one I've wanted to see for a long time now. Will definitely try and get the other two shortly afterwards as well, with emphasis on the Mankiewicz (since I'm far more likely to hang onto it after seeing it).

Quick question, Michael - a new interview with Elliot Gould is mentioned on the Amazon specs for Little Murders. Still planned, or has that idea since been scrapped? :)

PS: stunning artwork and extras as usual, gang. A very strong month, that's for sure!

Costa

#230 Post by Costa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Suddenly Last Summer for me.
Glad I hadn't bought the TT edition yet.
mistakaninja wrote:Photo at the bottom of the newsletter is Claude Akins in Comanche Station, so coupled with Nick Wrigley's tweet that confirms the Budd Boetticher box.
Hope it includes Seminole and Horizons West.

L.A.

#231 Post by L.A. » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:39 pm

I am hoping for Tourneur’s Night of the Demon. [-o<

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#232 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:22 am

rapta wrote:
I think they said Night of the Demon won't be arriving 'til Summer, but that's another instant pre-order for me.
If they do I hope they include the hour long Doc on Tourneur that was doing the rounds on french TV last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmIG14ZE4Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

#233 Post by MichaelB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Final specs for March’s releases:

Gumshoe:

Otley:

The Passenger:

Town on Trial:

MichaelB

Indicator

#234 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:36 pm

Final specs for April releases.

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds:

Little Murders:

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre:

Suddenly, Last Summer:

Last edited by MichaelB on Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#235 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:10 pm

DVD Beaver has now covered all of March's releases: Gumshoe, Otley, The Passenger and Town on Trial.

Forrest Taft

#236 Post by Forrest Taft » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:44 pm

M Sanderson wrote:Are we likely to see Walter Hill’s Geronimo from Indicator?

Isn’t it a Sony/Columbia title.

Obviously, TT release upcoming stateside.
Hill has stated that Geronimo is the one title in his filmography he'd like to go back and do another cut of. A longer cut, which is kind of odd, as this is (I think) his longest film. But it's still less than two hours. I've hoped someone would take him up on this, but Criterion is probably the only boutique label that could finance such a thing, and I doubt they have any interest in Geronimo. Would pick this up from Indicator in a heartbeat though, even if it's only the theatrical cut.

Edit: Found the interview. The longer cut exists, and is only 12 minutes longer. And according to Hill "It was damn good".

M Sanderson

#237 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:26 am

That’s interesting. I do wonder though, if the film is in the hands of anyone that would release alternative, or multiple cuts, of the same film.

Certainly not TT, and if Indicator release it in the UK, that surely wouldn’t be their kind of thing? With them still developing, growing, albeit doing outstanding work.

In the hands of Criterion or Arrow, who offer the kind of completist packages, definitely but I don’t see them getting these films.

mistakaninja

#238 Post by mistakaninja » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:58 am

Full Columbia Fuller box confirmed. 7 films on four discs. The two Fuller directed titles get their own discs (for later individual release presumably) and the others are split over two discs. Four booklets included.

Also:

Albert Brooks's Modern Romance

James Bridges's The China Syndrome

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#239 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:05 am

Jesus, Fuller box AND Modern Romance?! My poor wallet this year

MichaelB

#240 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 am

All of June's releases are region-free.

(And, as ever, specifically authored to be universally compatible, so no pesky European framerates.)

Ribs

#241 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:32 am

Indicator rules, end of thought.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#242 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:15 am

China Syndrome is great as well. I'm in for all of these!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#243 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:35 am

What A Disgrace wrote:I hope they start replicating Sony's film noir boxed sets, even if The Big Heat is left out of the mix for obvious reasons.

Great looking release.
Yes, my thoughts exactly! Public service announcement to Indicator that as far as I know I'm Richard Quine's biggest living booster, should they need any bonus material for his films...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#244 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:48 am

Imagine a Quine at Columbia 1954-60 box of Drive a Crooked Road / Pushover / My Sister Eileen / Solid Gold Cadillac / Bell, Book and Candle / It Happened to Jane / Strangers When We Meet.

Calvin

#245 Post by Calvin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 am

I'm not sure if the new prints struck for the MoMA Universal Restorations and Rediscoveries series automatically translate to a HD digital transfer, but I do hope someone at Indicator has been hearing my pleas for an Edward L. Cahn at Universal set.

Anyway, this is yet another fantastic line up from Indicator and I'll certainly be picking up both the Fuller set and Modern Romance. I take it that the design of the Fuller set is Nick Wrigley's work? It looks fabulous.

As someone who sorts his collection by director, it does pain me slightly when there are box sets under any other grouping but I've just decided to use a separate shelf for 'Various'. I'm certainly not going to adopt the position of a certain Alan Clarke-enthusiast on another forum who has decreed that "only real full Fuller films should be released on Blu-Ray;" I'm grateful to Indicator for choosing to not drop Power of the Press, Scandal Street etc. as I'm sure no other label is going to release them on the format.

JSC

#246 Post by JSC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:25 am

I agree that auteurism is an over-utilized shorthand for lumping a director's work together.
In my opinion being the director does not automatically indicate authorial intent. But it does
get trickier if you try to define a group of films by the cinematographer alone. For example,
you could do a box set of Sven Nykvist lensed films that might include, say...Winter Light,
Star 80, Nostalghia, Hannah and her Sisters, Agnes of God, and Chaplin. All of these films
are masterfully photographed, but somewhat broad in terms of a general theme or cinematic
approach.

JSC

#247 Post by JSC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:28 am

Correction to my last post...I should have included The Sacrifice, not
Nostalghia! :oops:

Ribs

#248 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:33 am

I'm way more interested in these other movies from the 30s then the two Fuller actually directed - they're the reason I'm buying. Indicator's just so perfectly in my particular niche, with so many of thse relatively forgotten and admittedly generally deservedly so studio movies being given a full treatment literally no one else would begin to concieve of, and often doing that several times a month!

How on Earth has TT not released Modern Romance?

MichaelB

#249 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:33 am

JSC wrote:I agree that auteurism is an over-utilized shorthand for lumping a director's work together.
In my opinion being the director does not automatically indicate authorial intent. But it does
get trickier if you try to define a group of films by the cinematographer alone. For example,
you could do a box set of Sven Nykvist lensed films that might include, say...Winter Light,
Star 80, The Sacrifice, Hannah and her Sisters, Agnes of God, and Chaplin. All of these films
are masterfully photographed, but somewhat broad in terms of a general theme or cinematic
approach.
But then so would a box set of, say, Breathless, Masculin Feminin, Wind from the East, First Name Carmen and Goodbye to Language. Or throwing The Sex Thief into a collection of Martin Campbell's James Bond films.

Obviously, the Alton set revolves around a certain type of cinematography carried out within a certain genre, and it's a plausible supposition that purchasers will appreciate all four films.

rapta

#250 Post by rapta » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:35 am

Probably the best month of announcements so far, and I was already a huge fan of the May titles!

Definitely pre-ordering Modern Romance (which I had been requesting since they first launched!) and the Fuller set as soon as I can...might even go direct for the Fuller set (free tote!). Would definitely consider pre-ordering The China Syndrome too any other month, but I may try and grab Criterion's Mishima or Eureka's Iron Monkey for a full month of very-much-wanted HD goodness. Unfortunately I can't pre-order everything!

And now Arrow are presumably about to announce a Hong Sang-soo box set...how are we supposed to keep up with the frequency of quality from UK labels right now?!