Indicator

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Indicator

#51 Post by Drucker » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:44 pm

The Last Detail pre-order went down. This didn't sell-out already somehow, did it?!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#52 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:03 pm

They posted the following on Facebook :
Just a quick note to let you know that we have moved a couple of release dates back due to the late delivery of extras.

10 Rillington Place, plus the two Sidney Poitier movies To Sir with Love, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner will now be released on November 28th 2016.
The Last Detail has now moved to February 20th, again due to the late delivery of extras.

Apologies, unfortunatley these things were a bit out of our control.
I guess the heavy delay on The Last Detail has caused the pre order to go down somehow.

rapta

#53 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:36 pm

Just Amazon UK being sketchy again. I wouldn't worry. Probably just didn't update the release date.

Very much doubt all 3000 copies would sell out before February, let alone December! Can't wait for this one.

I think we're getting Q1 announcements this week, if Indicator's comments from last week are anything to go by. Sounds like they're scheduling John Carpenter's Vampires and Ghosts of Mars for January.

I'm itching to get hold of Fat City and The Lady from Shanghai myself, and particularly interested to see what they might add to The Anderson Tapes too.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#54 Post by Drucker » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Agreed, and I think there should be some sort of discount if you've already purchased all three other copies of Lady From Shanghai.

M Sanderson

#55 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:11 am

Fat City and Bunny Lake is Missing are crucial to me.

I actually like the two Carpenters, love his clean, classical style, that old master's serenity, even if the story and productions are minor fare.

So, regarding Sony. One question I have to ask. A good Blu ray of Candyman. Surely an attractive title. One of the best '90s horrors, the best Clive Barker adaptation. There is a terrible Blu Ray out there, very dated, doesn't even appear HD sourced. Have I missed something regarding Candyman?

dwk

#56 Post by dwk » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:24 pm

M Sanderson wrote: So, regarding Sony. One question I have to ask. A good Blu ray of Candyman. Surely an attractive title. One of the best '90s horrors, the best Clive Barker adaptation. There is a terrible Blu Ray out there, very dated, doesn't even appear HD sourced. Have I missed something regarding Candyman?
I believe that this is not a Sony title in the UK.

JamesF

#57 Post by JamesF » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:04 am

Yes, Universal seemingly own the rights to Candyman in most non-US countries (including the UK) as it was co-produced by Polygram. Which if anything makes it more mystifying that it hasn't been licensed to Arrow or anyone else given the Universal catalogue has been fair game in the past, so presumably it's a bit more complicated than that.

Worth noting that Bernard Rose recorded a commentary for the film recently on Adam Green and Joe Lynch's podcast not too long ago.

M Sanderson

#58 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:34 am

Oh I assumed CM was a Sony title.

Universal - ugh. They really provide terrible, dated, unfilm-like and digitally manipulated masters of their films.

There is a current U.K. release (Columbia, can't recall now?) and its terrible.

So who could do this title justice in the UK or US?

Bernard Rose, not much luck with releases of his films. He's gone underground obviously in terms of production. Love the Tolstoy adaptations and the brilliant horror comeback, Frankenstein. Did he really upset that many in the industry with Ivanxtc, his tragic, raw depiction of a Hollywood agent?

rapta

#59 Post by rapta » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:53 pm

Also, their January and February titles were announced over at Blu-ray.com, and are as follows:
JANUARY 23RD

The New Centurions - Richard Fleischer, 1972 (Limited Edition of 3000)
Vampires - John Carpenter, 1998 (Limited Edition of 5000)
Ghosts of Mars - John Carpenter, 2001 (Limited Edition of 5000)

FEBRUARY 20TH

Bunny Lake is Missing - Otto Preminger, 1965 (Limited Edition of 3000)
The Anderson Tapes - Sidney Lumet, 1971 (Limited Edition of 3000)
The Last Detail - Hal Ashby, 1973 (Limited Edition of 3000)
Great to see they managed to get another Fleischer in The New Centurions, and hopefully like Carlotta that means we'll get See No Evil as well in the near future. Not that fussed about the two Carpenters, but might pick them up one day (probably Vampires first). Have already got The Last Detail pre-ordered, and will likely get The Anderson Tapes soon after that (though might depend on extras) and Bunny Lake is Missing is a must-have too.

Looking forward to getting Fat City and The Lady from Shanghai once they have release dates, and may have to get Experiment in Terror too.

Apparently they have some Harryhausen titles coming up, as well as some Hammer ones - I'm expecting box sets for those, though I could of course be wrong. Wouldn't mind a separate edition of Mysterious Island, assuming that's one of the Harryhausen titles they have (or Jason and the Argonauts, but I don't see them adding much to the Sony disc other than the booklet).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#60 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:02 am

I think the New Centurions is their first Blu-ray debut (EDIT: Nope, just came out in France). Hope they hit some of the other "Martini Movies" releases (c'mon Model Shop)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#61 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:23 am

I almost bought Bunny Lake yesterday through the SAE / TT sale.

This aside, I can't recommend The New Centurions enough. It was a tremendous watch from beginning to the end. Great actors, great characters, good direction.

Adam X

#62 Post by Adam X » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:22 am

@indicatorseries wrote:Our slate is Sony-specific in 2017.

Adam X

#63 Post by Adam X » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:06 am

While not much more than a PR piece, this interview with John Morrissey provides a few hints at Indicator's current & future plans.

nitin

#64 Post by nitin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:08 pm

Although not officially announced, John from Indicator confirmed in an email that they have Hardcore, Mickey One and Wolf.

rapta

#65 Post by rapta » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:11 am

nitin wrote:Although not officially announced, John from Indicator confirmed in an email that they have Hardcore, Mickey One and Wolf.
Add to that list The Big Heat, See No Evil and The Deadly Affair.

Gideon of Scotland Yard is rumoured as well.

All with improved extras, top-notch encoding, and booklets of course.

Cronenfly

#66 Post by Cronenfly » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:42 pm

nitin wrote:Hardcore, Mickey One
Nuts, though other than a booklet I don't imagine the Schrader will be that much better than the Twilight Time. No more Sony TT titles for me (probably no more TT titles at all, honestly, barring something truly unique/miraculous).

Very much looking forward to the Penn.

PianoMan88

#67 Post by PianoMan88 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:06 am

Just ordered Body Double, Christine, 10 Rillington and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner from Indicator plus The Last Detail from Amazon UK and because of the late February release date of the Pre-Order, they already shipped the ones that are already out. The Last Detail is £12.99 - VAT for people across the ocean, so a bit over £10. Amazon Canada sometimes will hold on to an order for a while due to Pre-Orders, glad the UK counterpart is sensible.

Just thought I'd share. I was pretty excited, looking forward to Body Double the most.

Ribs

#68 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:39 pm

According to Blu-ray's forums, March's releases are Mysterious Island, First Men in the Moon, and the Sinbad trilogy as a box.

peerpee
not perpee

#69 Post by peerpee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:28 pm

It'll only be the SINBAD box in March. The other two are coming later.

rapta

#70 Post by rapta » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:32 pm

Apparently the March titles are now Fat City, The Big Heat and The Front. I'm very excited for all three, but those first too especially (which I will pre-order, or at least pick up on release week).

I'm assuming that means the Sinbad box has been put back to April or May?

Patiently anticipating The Lady from Shanghai and Experiment in Terror, and look forward to other recently-confirmed titles such as Starman, The Chase, Birdy, Hardcore and See No Evil.

Ribs

#71 Post by Ribs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Release date: 20 March 2017
Limited Dual Format Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)

John Huston’s sombre but compassionate boxing drama is a criminally-underseen late-career masterpiece from the great director. Peppered with outstanding performances this gritty yet affectionate look at the world of small-time boxing highlights a down-and-out fighter and a young up-and-comer, both moving through a world of seedy gyms and flop houses.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• 4K restoration
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary by film historians Lem Dobbs and Nick Redman
• New ‘making of’ documentary featuring interviews with stars Stacy Keach and Candy Clark
• Archival interview with director John Huston on Fat CIty
• Isolated score
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by critic Danny Leigh
• UK home video premiere
• Limited Dual Format Edition of 3,000 copies

A HARD COP AND A SOFT DAME… IN A BRASS-KNUCKLE THRILLER!

Fritz Lang’s iconic film noir masterpiece is an uncompromising exploration of corruption and violence at the dark heart of small-town America. Glenn Ford is the good cop in a bad town, who single-handedly takes on local mobsters headed by Alexander Scourby and his psychotic right-hand man Lee Marvin.

• Audio commentary by film historians Lem Dobbs, Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
• New filmed appreciation by film historian Tony Rayns
• Martin Scorsese on The Big Heat
• Michael Mann on The Big Heat
• Isolated score • Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by critic Glenn Kenny
• UK Blu-ray premiere

What if there were a list?

A list that said: Our finest actors weren't allowed to act. Our best writers aren't allowed to write. Our funniest comedians aren't allowed to make us laugh. What would it be like if there were such a list?

It would be like America in 1953.

• Audio commentary by actress Andrea Marcovicci, and film historians Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
• Director of Photography Michael Chapman on The Front
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• Original theatrical trailer
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by professor Gabriel Miller, author of The Films of Martin Ritt: Fanfare for the Common Man
• UK Blu-ray premiere

rapta

#72 Post by rapta » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:38 pm

Tony Rayns on The Big Heat sounds great, as does Danny Leigh on Fat City (now I think about it, I'm pretty sure he Tweeted about that a while ago).

I'm definitely in for those two ASAP, and glad they're releasing The Front too - one of the titles I had asked them about, but they didn't confirm or deny they had it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#73 Post by tenia » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Of course, I bought The Front from the latest TT sale. :x

peerpee
not perpee

#74 Post by peerpee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:37 pm

SINBAD box got pushed a few months. Awaiting a new 4K resto.

The three Feb titles are all finished and on track.

Lots more 2017 titles to be announced over the coming weeks.

rapta

#75 Post by rapta » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Excellent. I've had The Last Detail ordered since it was announced and also pre-ordered Bunny Lake is Missing just last week. Despite the Lumet not being his best, he's one of my favourite directors so I will have to pick that up at some point as well.

Excited to find out what else is coming! Starman will no doubt be a standout once it's ready...one of Carpenter's very best, I feel. The Lady from Shanghai is arguably the biggest of the lot though!