Indicator

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

rockysds

Re: Indicator

#76 Post by rockysds » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:28 am

Interview with Indicator/Powerhouse:
We have an exciting mix of well-known and not-so-well-known titles from Hammer. I'll hold back on full details, but they include great early works such as Never Take Sweets from a Stranger and Cash on Demand, as well as more celebrated films like The Revenge of Frankenstein and The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb.

Well, we have some 40 titles slated for the coming year, and each one was hand-picked by us and is therefore much-loved, so it's difficult to single titles out. But, picking a few titles at random, I can tell you that Alan Parker's Birds, Jack Gold's The National Health, and Irvin Kershner's The Eyes of Laura Mars, written by John Carpenter are all forthcoming.

FrauBlucher

#77 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:15 am

They announced these on twitter....
NEW TITLE: Out 24 April 2017, HARDCORE (Paul Schrader, 1979)
NEW TITLE: Out 24 April 2017, EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (Blake Edwards, 1962)
NEW TITLE: Out 24 April 2017, THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (Orson Welles, 1947)

TMDaines

#78 Post by TMDaines » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:22 pm

They announced extras too. I would post but on mobile.

rapta

#79 Post by rapta » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Specs...

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (1947, Orson Welles) - #PHIDFE007
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• 4K restoration from the original negative
• Original mono audio
• Audio Commentary by Peter Bogdanovich
Simon Callow on 'The Lady from Shanghai' (2017, tbc mins): a new filmed appreciation piece by the acclaimed actor and Welles scholar
A Discussion with Peter Bogdanovich (2000, 21 mins): the renowned filmmaker and author talks about Welles and The Lady from Shanghai
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by critic Samm Deighan
• UK Blu-ray premiere
• Limited Dual Format Edition of 3,000 copies
• More TBC
EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962, Blake Edwards) - #PHIDFE011
• 2K restoration from the original negative
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary by film critic Kim Morgan
• New and exclusive filmed interview with actor Stefanie Powers (2017, tbc mins)
• Isolated score
• TV spots
• Image gallery
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by critic Kim Morgan
• UK Blu-ray premiere
• More TBC
HARDCORE (Paul Schrader, 1979) - #PHIDFE014
• 4K restoration from the original negative
• Original mono audio
Hardcore Nitzsche (2017, tbc mins): All new documentary on composer Jack Nitzsche
Michael Chapman on 'Hardcore' (2004, 12 mins): the acclaimed cinematographer discusses his work on Hardcore
The Guardian Interview with Paul Schrader (1993, tbc mins): the director discusses his career at the National Film Theatre, London with journalist Derek Malcolm (audio only)
• Isolated score
• Image gallery
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by critic and writer Brad Stevens
• UK Blu-ray premiere
• More TBC
All three released on April 24th, and are Region Free.

rapta

#80 Post by rapta » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:45 am

May titles:

THE WILD ONE (László Benedek, 1953)
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary by author and film historian Jeanine Basinger
The Wild One and the BBFC (2017, tbc mins): ex-BBFC examiner Robert Falcon discusses the films' history with the British censor.
Introduction to the film by Karen Kramer (2007, 1 min)
Hollister, California: Bikers. Booze and the Big Picture (2007, 28 mins) A look back at the real-life events that inspired the film.
Brando: An Icon is Born (2007, 19 mins) A documentary exploring the life and career of the legendary actor.
Stanley Kramer: A Man’s Search for Truth (2007, 17 mins): a look at Kramer’s vision.
• Image gallery
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Kat Ellinger
• UK Blu-ray premiere
• More TBC
HOUSEKEEPING (Bill Forsyth, 1987)
• Original stereo audio
New interview with director Bill Forsyth (2017, tbc mins)
New interview with editor Michael Ellis (2017, tbc mins)
New interview with author Marilynne Robinson (2017, tbc mins)
• Image gallery
• Limited edition exclusive booklet
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• UK DVD premiere
• Limited Dual Format Edition of 5,000 copies
• More TBC
THE STONE KILLER (Michael Winner, 1973)
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary
• Rare archival materials from the personal collection of director Michael Winner
• Image gallery
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by John Talbot, author of Bronson's Loose! The Making of the Death Wish Films and Bronson's Loose Again! On the Set with Charles Bronson
• UK Blu-ray premiere
• More TBC
All three released on May 22nd.

Ribs

#81 Post by Ribs » Fri May 05, 2017 8:10 am

July releases:

THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T
Produced by Stanley Kramer and based on an original screenplay by Dr Seuss, Roy Rowland’s pioneering wild fantasy adventure is visually stunning and remains one of American cinema’s most beloved – and bizarre – children’s films.
Available for the first time ever in the UK.

• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary by film historians Glenn Kenny and Nick Pinkerton
• Father Figure (2017, tbc mins): a new interview with Steve Rowland, son of director Roy Rowland
• Karen Kramer introduction (2007, 2 mins)
• Dr T. on Screen(2007, 15 mins): Cathy Lind Hayes, George Chakris and others talk about the film
• A Little Nightmare Music (2007, 12 mins): discussing the films’ ground-breaking music score
• Joe Dante trailer commentary (2013, 3 mins): a short critical appreciation
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by artist Peter Conheim, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK Blu-ray and DVD premiere
• More TBC
#PHIDFE015

MICKEY ONE
Influenced by the French New Wave, director Arthur Penn's ground-breaking and wildly inventive Mickey One is a tale of a man on the run - his first teaming with Warren Beatty, two years before Bonnie and Clyde. The film also boasts a classic jazz score by Eddie Sauter and Stan Getz.
Available for the first time ever in the UK.

• Original mono audio
• New interview with star Alexandra Stewart (2017, tbc mins)
• New interview Matthew Penn, son of director Arthur Penn (2017, tbc mins)
• The John Player Lecture with Arthur Penn (1981, tbc mins): audio recording of an interview recorded at the National Film Theatre, London
• Joe Dante trailer commentary (2013, 3 mins): a short critical appreciation
• Music promo
• New English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet featuring a new essay by journalist Nick Pinkerton, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK DVD premiere
• More TBC
#PHIDFE030

CASTLE KEEP
Sydney Pollack’s Gothic war drama stars the great Burt Lancaster as the brutal, one-eyed army major in charge of a small group of American GIs fighting to save the castle they're stationed in during World War II.

• Original mono audio
• New interview with actor Tony Bill (2017, tbc mins)
• Archival Interview with author William Eastlake (1968, 30 mins)
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by critic Brad Stevens, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK DVD premiere
• More TBC
#PHIDFE031

There's a lot of moaning over at Blu-ray that these are really bad titles but I personally continue to find almost every title Indicator will release very exciting, and will probably pick up all three of these.

MichaelB

#82 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 05, 2017 8:59 am

The general thesis over there seems to be "I've never heard of them, therefore I'm not interested". And someone's even moaning about the booklets!

(Not their quality, which will doubtless be up to the same sky-high standard as before, but their existence.)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#83 Post by tenia » Fri May 05, 2017 9:07 am

I don't know : I only know 2 of them by name, never heard of the third one, but these look like stuff I'll get on Day One anyway !
In any case, my 2 latest disappointments came from 2 movies I knew already (Vampires and Ghosts of Mars) so it definitely shouldn't be a factor for me.

MichaelB

#84 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 05, 2017 9:09 am

Second Run wouldn't even have got off the starting blocks if "never heard of it, not interested" was the dominant attitude!

knives

#85 Post by knives » Fri May 05, 2017 12:11 pm

All three are super interesting though my favorite is the Penn which is one of the best of the just plain crazy films of the '60s. It's much more Godard, and maybe Rivette, influenced than his other New Wave aping films.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#86 Post by swo17 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:21 pm

I've only seen the first two but they're both great, and the third one sounds promising.

fdm

#87 Post by fdm » Fri May 05, 2017 1:07 pm

In for Castle Keep (watched it a few weeks ago), and quite likely Mickey One.

Can't imagine my wanting to try and watch 5,000 Fingers again, about half was all I could take of it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#88 Post by tenia » Tue May 30, 2017 9:02 am

From Amazon :

21st August:
The Deadly Affair
The Reckoning
The National Health
A Day in the Life of Joe Egg

25th September:
See No Evil
The Ray Harryhausen Collection 1955-1960
The Chase

Ribs

#89 Post by Ribs » Tue May 30, 2017 11:37 am

What A Disgrace wrote:I assume Harryhausen 1955-1960 will include It Came From Beneath the Sea, 20 Million Miles to Earth, Earth vs. The Flying Saycers abnd The 3 Worlds of Gulliver. And I imagine a follow-up will date from 1961-1964, including Mysterious Island, Jason and the Argonauts and First Men in the Moon.
Indicator has all the Harryhausens but Argonauts, as it's already been released. So the other two might just be standalones as they're the more high-profile titles of the set.

I'm absolutely and totally unaware of pretty much any of these films but I'm open-minded about what Indicator will be putting together and look forward to more details.

What A Disgrace

#90 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:57 am

rapta wrote:Well up for more Lumet, so I've pre-ordered The Deadly Affair and will probably do the same for The Chase (and maybe See No Evil). Not sure about any of the others though...maybe further down the line.
I'm getting a major Flipside vibe from the other August releases, as I look into them. Joe Egg sounds particularly fascinating.

What A Disgrace

#91 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Criterion licenses from numerous different labels from around the world and manages to be remarkably predictable, while Indicator licenses English language titles from one Hollywood studio and utterly defies any attempt to be pigeonholed. Bravo.

Ribs

#92 Post by Ribs » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:16 pm

It's kind of crazy how with the first set of releases it was a little bit "eh, why couldn't they have just started giving these to Arrow?" but the past several months of announcements are so utterly unique and unlike anything any other label touches. I *think* I'm in for everything but Joe Egg this month, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise on that.

beamish13

#93 Post by beamish13 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Indicator is doing a tremendous job with these Sony/Columbia titles that have been relegated to burn-on-demand discs in the States. Fingers crossed
that The Pumpkin Eater, The Gravy Train, Eyes of Laura Mars, and Happy Birthday, Wanda June are on the horizon, too

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#94 Post by Drucker » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Is there a spending threshold to get free shipping from PH direct?

rapta

#95 Post by rapta » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Definitely in for The Deadly Affair, as I'm a big Lumet fan (The Anderson Tapes being the worst film of his I've seen, but I will get the Indicator release at some point).

Apparently The Chase, See No Evil and The Ray Harryhausen Collection are set for September, but not officially detailed yet.
beamish13 wrote:Indicator is doing a tremendous job with these Sony/Columbia titles that have been relegated to burn-on-demand discs in the States. Fingers crossed
that The Pumpkin Eater, The Gravy Train, Eyes of Laura Mars, and Happy Birthday, Wanda June are on the horizon, too
Eyes of Laura Mars already confirmed, and coming out in November/December (according to comments made by Indicator on Facebook)!

I've actually asked specifically about both The Gravy Train and The Pumpkin Eater, but no confirmation on either (I expect the latter is more likely as the master seems to be in reasonably good shape).

I'm not familiar with Happy Birthday, Wanda June but I just looked it up and...Vonnegut, Robson, Steiger. I'd be well up for that!

M Sanderson

#96 Post by M Sanderson » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:37 pm

I've been extremely happy with the quality and the selection of movies by Indicator. I have Christine (encoded better than the German blu ray I saw), Body Double, Bunny Lake is Missing, Fat City and Hardcore all looking remarkable.

Very much looking forward to Deadly Affair, an excellent thriller with great use of miserable and atmospheric locations albeit with a couple of melodramatic doemetic scenes that don't really fit the material,or the George Smiley character. On the whole it's a fabulous thriller by the great Lumet. This announcement was a very exciting surprise.

I really hope Pumpkin Eater will follow as there's a paucity of Harold Pinter scripted films on Blu ray that is in dire need of addressing. Acknowledging Criterion's French Lieutenant’s Woman, a fine French Blu ray of Reunion & the upcoming Kino release of The Birthday Party.

Ribs

#97 Post by Ribs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:42 pm

A cursory mention of Hope and Glory in the booklet for Housekeeping is making me hopeful it's a title on Indicator's list.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#98 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:47 pm

It's MGM

MichaelB

#99 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Actually, it is Sony (at least in the UK), but I don't think it's on Indicator's radar.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#100 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Interesting, it's def MGM stateside, wonder if that would impact their ability to do a region-free release were it ever to enter their radar