62-66 Five Tall Tales: Budd Boetticher & Randolph Scott at Columbia, 1957-1960

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Cinephrenic

62-66 Five Tall Tales: Budd Boetticher & Randolph Scott at Columbia, 1957-1960

#1 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:47 pm

FIVE TALL TALES: BUDD BOETTICHER & RANDOLPH SCOTT AT COLUMBIA, 1957-1960

THE TALL T (1957)
DECISION AT SUNDOWN (1957)
BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE (1958)
RIDE LONESOME (1959)
COMANCHE STATION (1960)

Release date: 21 May 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (Blu-ray premieres)

Five classic, iconic and slyly subversive westerns collected on Blu-ray for the very first time. Containing a selection of new and archival extras – including interviews with director Budd Boetticher and an appreciation by film critic Kim Newman – this collectable five-disc box set also contains an 80-page book with newly commissioned essays, archival interviews and full credits, and is strictly limited to 6,000 units.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES:
• 2K restoration of Ride Lonesome
• HD restorations of The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone and Comanche Station
• Original mono audio
The John Player Lecture with Budd Boetticher (1969): archival audio interview conducted by Horizons West author Jim Kitses at the National Film Theatre, London
The Guardian Interview with Budd Boetticher (1994): an extensive filmed interview conducted by film historian David Meeker at the National Film Theatre, London
Budd Boetticher on the Ranown Cycle (1999): excerpts from Eckhart Schmidt's documentary Visiting... Budd Boetticher
The Guardian Interview with Elmore Leonard (1997): the celebrated author, and writer of the short story upon which The Tall T is based, in conversation at London's National Film Theatre
The Tall T audio commentary with Jeanine Basinger (2008)
Ride Lonesome audio commentary with Jeremy Arnold (2008)
Comanche Station audio commentary with Taylor Hackford (2008)
Martin Scorsese on The Tall T and Ride Lonesome (2008)
Taylor Hackford on Decision at Sundown and Buchanan Rides Alone (2008)
Clint Eastwood on Comanche Station (2008)
• Playing in the Open (2018), an analysis of Ride Lonesome by Cristina Álvarez López
• Christopher Frayling on Budd Boetticher (2018): the writer and cultural historian discusses the work of the great director
• Kim Newman on the Ranown Cycle (2018): an appreciation and analysis by the critic and author of Wild West Movies
A Man Alone (2018): a portrait of Randolph Scott by film historian and author Edward Buscombe
• Super 8 version of Comanche Station: original cut-down home cinema presentation
• Original theatrical trailers
Ride Lonesome trailer commentary (2013): a short critical appreciation by filmmaker John Sayles
Comanche Station trailer commentary (2014): a short critical appreciation by screenwriter Sam Hamm
• Image galleries: extensive promotional and on-set photography, poster art and marketing materials
• Limited Edition exclusive 80-page book containing newly commissioned essays by Pamela Hutchinson, Glenn Kenny, James Oliver, Neil Sinyard and Farran Smith Nehme, archival interviews with director Budd Boetticher and screenwriter Burt Kennedy, a critical anthology, and full film credits
• World Blu-ray premieres of The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone and Ride Lonesome
• UK Blu-ray premiere of Comanche Station
• Limited Edition Box Set of 6,000 numbered copies
Last edited by Cinephrenic on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Person

#2 Post by Person » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:17 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:Digital Bitsis reporting that Sony finally came around in releasing the Budd Boetticher westerns on DVD. Box set includes: The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome and Comanche Station for 11/4.

Great news! Sorry if this info was posted before, didn't see it anywhere.
Joy! :D

What A Disgrace

#3 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Pre-order up at Amazon.

Retail is $59.99.

I can not wait!

wpqx

#4 Post by wpqx » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Good timing and seems poised to bring Boetticher back into public consciousness.

Cash Flagg

#5 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:55 am

Preliminary extras from ClassicFlix, though they don't state (yet) which commentaries are for which films:
Audio Commentary with Film Historian Jeanine Basinger
Audio Commentary with Film Historian Jeremy Arnold
Audio Commentary with Taylor Hackford
Clint Eastwood on "Comanche Station" TBD
Martin Scorsese on "The Tall T"
Taylor Hackford on "Buchanan Rides Alone"
Taylor Hackford on "Decision at Sundown"
Martin Scorsese on "Ride Lonesome"
"Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That" Documentary

Cinephrenic

#6 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:56 am

Impressive!

sidehacker

#7 Post by sidehacker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:00 am

Wonderful news. Which one of these have already had releases? Only Decision at Sundown, no? I know that at least Ride Lonesome has been a long time coming.

For the uninformed, read Chris Fujiwara's piece on Boetticher.

ByMarkClark.com

#8 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:40 am

The only previously available as 7 MEN FROM NOW. This is fantastic news.

Hopefully these will be in OAR, so I can replace my pan-and-scan burned-from-Encore Westerns Channel versions.

tryavna

#9 Post by tryavna » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:55 am

ByMarkClark.com wrote:Hopefully these will be in OAR, so I can replace my pan-and-scan burned-from-Encore Westerns Channel versions.
The most recent showings of Comanche Station on TCM have been in the correct widescreen ratio. I guess the only concern would be open-matte versions of some of the others. But as much effort as Sony seems to be putting into this set, I think we all be pleased. I'm hoping that there are commentaries for both Decision at Sundown and Buchanon Rides Alone, since those are the two that break the Ranown-cycle mold the most.

To echo Gordon's sentiments: Joy indeed!

Jeff

#10 Post by Jeff » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:06 pm

There is even more good news on the Sony front.
Martin Scorsese’s The Film Foundation has partnered with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to bring a variety of classic films to DVD. Films will be released under the “Collector’s Choice” banner and include restored and remastered transfers of previously unreleased titles from the Sony catalog. Hollywood talent will contribute commentaries and introductions in films that have inspired their own work.

The first release will be The Films of Budd Boetticher, a boxed set of five Westerns that will arrive in stores Nov. 4. The set includes The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome and Comanche Station, all released theatrically between 1957 and 1960, and will feature introductions and commentary from a trio of Oscar-winning directors inspired by Boetticher’s work: Scorsese, Clint Eastwood and Taylor Hackford.

“We have an incredible treasure trove of films in our catalog, and this partnership with The Film Foundation helps us to create a unique, collectible package for classic cinema fans so they, too, can own a piece of Hollywood’s film legacy,” said Lexine Wong, senior EVP of worldwide marketing for Sony.

Sony Pictures and The Film Foundation will continue their alliance with several upcoming DVD sets, including a Michael Powell double feature as well as Rita Hayworth, Frank Capra, William Castle and film noir collections.

Via_Chicago

#11 Post by Via_Chicago » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:59 pm

I hope this is a sign of things to come (I remain skeptical with good reason), especially since Sony has so much great stuff just begging for DVD release.

Narshty

#12 Post by Narshty » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:58 am

What A Disgrace wrote:Pre-order up at Amazon.

Retail is $59.99.

I can not wait!
The RRP is now a no-excuses $39.95 (the same as Criterion's Chungking Express).

What A Disgrace

#13 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:48 am

Wow. If it were coming out a month or two earlier, I would have forfeited my vow to buy domestic only during the November sale.

GringoTex

#14 Post by GringoTex » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:59 am

DVD set of the year (hopefully)

ByMarkClark.com

#15 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 am

Sony Pictures and The Film Foundation will continue their alliance with several upcoming DVD sets, including a Michael Powell double feature as well as Rita Hayworth, Frank Capra, William Castle and film noir collections.
It's gratifying to read this! There's a treasure trove of Columbia classics that have been gathering dust for the entire DVD era. I am especially curious about the contents of that Noir collection. NIGHTFALL and PUSHOVER are needed almost as badly as the Boetticher films...

Derek Estes

#16 Post by Derek Estes » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 pm

I hope this means that Samuel Fuller's Columbia films will finally become available.

Props55

#17 Post by Props55 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:14 pm

And those Phil Karlson noirs and westerns!

bkimball

#18 Post by bkimball » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:27 am

sidehacker wrote:For the uninformed, read Chris Fujiwara's piece on Boetticher.
Thanks for the enthusiasm to share this write up. It only spurs my interest in this set.

As someone stepping through the door of the Western, I am appreciative the most classical nature of the best of its canon. As I settle into my adult years, I find something soothing in the universal truths that westerns offer distilled into their most carnal terms. I have a long road of ignorance to return from in relation to westerns. Hopefully, this box set will encourage that.

Plus, Lee Marvin in Seven Men From Now? 8-)

Ashirg

#19 Post by Ashirg » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:55 am

Michael Powell Double Feature - is it A Matter of Life and Death and Age of Consent?

Jeff

#20 Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:11 am

Ashirg wrote:Michael Powell Double Feature - is it A Matter of Life and Death and Age of Consent?
Yep. I believe those are the only Powell features that Sony owns and it was confirmed before this article that SPE was working on a double feature of those.

I just hope that all of these sets come with individual slimpacks for the movies. The meticulous alphabetizer in me is driven to madness when multiple films linked only by a director or star are housed in a single digipak. The unfortunate packaging of Sony's Cary Grant set has me concerned for these.

Derek Estes

#21 Post by Derek Estes » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:21 pm

Ashirg wrote:Michael Powell Double Feature - is it A Matter of Life and Death and Age of Consent?
Doesn't Columbia also hold One Of Our Aircraft Is Missing?
I would love to see that finally released.

Jeff

#22 Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:40 pm

Derek Estes wrote:
Doesn't Columbia also hold One Of Our Aircraft Is Missing?
I would love to see that finally released.
I'm pretty sure that Aircraft is a Republic property in the U.S., making Lionsgate the distributor.

OliverB

#23 Post by OliverB » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:42 pm

any artwork or a box shot yet?

Ashirg

#24 Post by Ashirg » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:27 am

planetjake

#25 Post by planetjake » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:56 am

Puke.