76-79 Samuel Fuller at Columbia 1937-1961

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Costa

#1 Post by Costa » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:59 am

SAMUEL FULLER AT COLUMBIA, 1937-1961

IT HAPPENED IN HOLLYWOOD (Harry Lachman, 1937)
ADVENTURE IN SAHARA (D Ross Lederman, 1938)
POWER OF THE PRESS (Lew Landers, 1943)
SHOCKPROOF (Douglas Sirk, 1949)
SCANDAL SHEET (Phil Karlson, 1952)
THE CRIMSON KIMONO (Samuel Fuller, 1959)
UNDERWORLD U.S.A. (Samuel Fuller, 1961)

Release date: 18 JUNE 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (Blu-ray premieres)

The daring and provocative films of maverick American filmmaker Samuel Fuller (1912-1997) were some of the most hard-hitting, outspoken, politically progressive and visually audacious of the Hollywood studio era. This seven-film Blu-ray box set brings together Fuller’s entire output as a writer and director for Columbia Pictures: IT HAPPENED IN HOLLYWOOD (1937), a witty satire on the movie-making business, co-written by Fuller; ADVENTURE IN SAHARA (1938), a gripping thriller based on a Fuller story; POWER OF THE PRESS (1943), a daring drama about a corrupt newspaper publisher, based on a Fuller story; SHOCKPROOF (1949), a brooding film noir written by Fuller and directed by the great Douglas Sirk; SCANDAL SHEET, a tense drama about a compromised newspaper editor, based on Fuller’s acclaimed novel The Dark Page; THE CRIMSON KIMONO (1959), Fuller’s frank and unsentimental detective thriller which attacked the prejudice, ignorance and bigotry that Fuller saw all around him; and UNDERWORLD U.S.A. (1961), Fuller’s unflinching depiction of the brutal world of organised crime. This collectable four-disc box set also contains an array of new and archival extra features, limited edition booklets with newly commissioned essays, archival material, contemporary reviews, and full film credits, and is strictly limited to 6,000 numbered units.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remasters of all seven films
• Original mono audio
‘The Typewriter, the Rifle & the Movie Camera’ Rushes Tapes 01-12 (1996, 406 mins): almost seven hours' worth of unedited interview footage of Sam Fuller in conversation with actor Tim Robbins, recorded for Adam Simon’s classic documentary
All-Star Party (2018, 6 mins): a who’s who of the ‘stars’ and their impersonators in the climactic party scene from It Happened in Hollywood
Sam Fuller’s Search for Truth with Tim Robbins (2009, 7 mins): the celebrated actor explores Fuller’s time as a reporter
The Culture of ‘The Crimson Kimono’ (2009, 10 mins): an analysis by filmmaker Curtis Hanson
Switch-Hitting Between Three Triangles (2018, 15 mins): a new audiovisual essay on The Crimson Kimono by Cristina Álvarez López
Sam Fuller Storyteller (2009, 25 mins): insightful documentary with contributions from Martin Scorsese and Wim Wenders, as well as Fuller’s wife, Christa, and daughter, Samantha
Sam Fuller on Henry Chapier’s Couch (1989, 22 mins): archival interview from French TV in which Fuller answers questions about his life
Martin Scorsese on ‘Underworld U.S.A.’ (2009, 5 mins): the acclaimed director discusses the impact and legacy of Fuller’s film
Barry Forshaw on ‘Underworld U.S.A.’ (2018, 10 mins): a critical analysis by the author of American Noir
Sam Fuller Masterclass with Wim Wenders (1993, 62 mins): archival audio recording of the two friends and collaborators in conversation at the Arri Cinema, Munich
• Original theatrical trailers
• Image galleries: publicity photography and promotional material
• Limited Edition exclusive booklets containing newly commissioned essays by Jeff Billington, Pamela Hutchinson and Lindsay Anne Hallam, archival interviews with director Sam Fuller, historic articles, a critical anthology, and full film credits
• World Blu-ray premieres of It Happened in Hollywood, Adventure in Sahara, Power of the Press, Shockproof and Scandal Sheet
• UK Blu-ray premieres of The Crimson Kimono and Underworld U.S.A.
• Limited Edition Box Set of 6,000 numbered copies

Mr. Deltoid

Re: Indicator

#2 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:07 am

Costa wrote:Is that Cliff Robertson in the June hint?
I'm putting my money on Underworld U.S.A - or at least I would if I had any, which is partly the fault of Indicator and their release slate.

Cronenfly

#3 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:57 pm

What’s the picture of in this month’s newsletter? Or should I say who’s in the picture?

sabbath

#4 Post by sabbath » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Cronenfly wrote:What’s the picture of in this month’s newsletter? Or should I say who’s in the picture?
It's Underworld U.S.A. by Samuel Fuller from Sony. I'm hoping for a double feature release with The Crimson Kimono, another Fuller-Sony title. The entire director's DVD box set upgrade would be ideal, but I guess that's asking too much, especially since the other five are written, but not directed by him.
Last edited by sabbath on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

What A Disgrace

#5 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:59 am

At the very least, Indicator should consider including Shockproof and Scandal Sheet and making it a four-film Sam Fuller themed boxed set. Surely there's a lot of interesting things to be said about Shockproof and Scandal Sheet in the context of the screen writing side of Fuller (and of their respective directors), even if they aren't entirely positive, and any excuse for them to further dip into the impressive Sony/Columbia noir catalogue should be encouraged at this point.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:06 am

Shockproof is better than any of the other films in that box, and it could be sold to Sirk fans, Fuller fans, and Noir fans

dwk

#7 Post by dwk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:32 pm

Submissions by Powerhouse for both Underworld USA and Crimson Kimono have popped up on the BBFC website. So glad I skipped the TT releases. \:D/

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Could they be Blu-ing the Sony Fuller set like they did for the Boetticher?

Apperson

Indicator: Samuel Fuller at Columbia

#9 Post by Apperson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:29 pm

June’s releases will be announced before the weekend, our biggest month yet – 9 films!
And a teaser image:

Ribs

#10 Post by Ribs » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Maybe I'm just delusional, but isn't it also totally reasonable that's not a specific hint and just indicating that the amount of releases are increasing?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#11 Post by tenia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:51 am

I thought of this image only as a representation of the output increase.

souvenir

#12 Post by souvenir » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:13 am

That image is from a poster for Underworld, U.S.A.

Pepsi

#13 Post by Pepsi » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:48 am

I can't load a picture, but here is a link to the poster:

https://posteritati.com/poster/29933/un ... title-card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055571/med ... 2537095424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#14 Post by tenia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:04 am

souvenir wrote:That image is from a poster for Underworld, U.S.A.
Oh, right. My bad then.

mistakaninja

#15 Post by mistakaninja » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:59 am

Wonder if that means they are doing the Columbia Fuller boxset then. A 9 title month, odds are there has to be a box of some kind in that. There were 7 titles in the Fuller box.

Costa

#16 Post by Costa » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:37 pm

I guess there will be a boxset, but I would really hope for 9 seperate releases that cover many tastes.
I'm not so keen on box-sets since i rarely feel that I HAVE to own all films in a boxset.

Alphonse Tram

#17 Post by Alphonse Tram » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:17 am

Finch

#18 Post by Finch » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 am

Indicator are killing it with the box sets this year. Very reasonable price too for 7 films and the amount of extras.

dda1996a

#19 Post by dda1996a » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:34 am

Any word on any of those Fuller films?

What A Disgrace

#20 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:14 am

I'm so glad they understand how spine numbers actually work.

kidc

#21 Post by kidc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 am

Not necessarily saying this is an inherently bad idea but that Fuller set does seem a bit odd. I understand grouping a director's work by studio where that defines a certain period in their work or is a notable creative partnership, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. In addition to that, out of those films that he didn't direct - three of them he's only credited for story (although PotP is from his book), and the other two he's not credited as the main writer (for IHiH he's third).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:55 am

They're just replicating the Sony DVD box. View the lesser films as bonus titles, with the exception of the Sirk the non-Fuller directed titles would never ever be coming from any label on Blu apart from this kind of release

What A Disgrace

#23 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 am

I hope they start replicating Sony's film noir boxed sets, even if The Big Heat is left out of the mix for obvious reasons.

Great looking release.

MichaelB

#24 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:05 am

kidc wrote:Not necessarily saying this is an inherently bad idea but that Fuller set does seem a bit odd. I understand grouping a director's work by studio where that defines a certain period in their work or is a notable creative partnership, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Fuller wrote (or co-wrote) all these films, which were all made for the same studio, which seems an entirely valid excuse for a box set to me.

I'm fascinated by the way that auteurism has infected film discourse to such an extent that this is considered weird - a few weeks ago, someone complained about that collection of films shot by John Alton, as though this was equally illegitimate. But presumably there'd be no objections to an actor-driven box set, or even one based on adaptations of work by the same novelist or playwright? In fact, I think we should have more screenwriter-driven box sets, as God knows they get a raw enough deal much of the rest of the time.

And also, as Domino points out above, this is an excellent excuse to release high-definition of versions of films that would most likely never get this kind of treatment as single releases.

beamish13

#25 Post by beamish13 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Technically, shouldn't the Fuller boxset include Let's Get Harry, which he has a story credit on?
It's hilariously schlocky nonsense, and it gives you the chance to see Gary Busey, Biff Tanen from Back to the Future, and Jake Ryan from Sixteen Candles use machine guns in Latin American jungles to rescue Mark Harmon.