Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss Blu-rays released by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Post Reply
Message
Author
nitin
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:49 am

Re: Indicator

#1 Post by nitin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 am

Costa wrote:Can someone remind me what TT titles could possibly Indicator release? (of what studio)
There is a TT sale, and i want to give my attention to the titles that Indicator wouldn't release.
Only any titles that are Sony licensed.

Costa
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Indicator

#2 Post by Costa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:48 am

nitin wrote:
Costa wrote:Can someone remind me what TT titles could possibly Indicator release? (of what studio)
There is a TT sale, and i want to give my attention to the titles that Indicator wouldn't release.
Only any titles that are Sony licensed.
Ah, thanks.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Indicator

#3 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:17 pm

nitin wrote:
Costa wrote:Can someone remind me what TT titles could possibly Indicator release? (of what studio)
There is a TT sale, and i want to give my attention to the titles that Indicator wouldn't release.
Only any titles that are Sony licensed.
Except Indicator has new deals with additional unnamed studios now.

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: Indicator

#4 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Well, Universal has been named, but have they fuelled any TT releases?

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Indicator

#5 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Nope. Sony, MGM, and Fox

Costa
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Indicator

#6 Post by Costa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Is Gun Fury something that Indicator could release? I see it's a Columbia title.
there are fewer than 50 copies remaining in TT (i wouldn't expect it so for such a recent release!!!). (i guess it's because it's 3d? I think many people buy 3d regardless of the film, just for the sake of it)

And I'm torn now. I would prefer an indicator release, if there is the possibility.

Costa
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Indicator

#7 Post by Costa » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:10 am

Anyone know from which film is this clue for next batch?

Image

User avatar
NABOB OF NOWHERE
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Brandywine River

Re: Indicator

#8 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Any reason why it's not Dennis Hopper's Hot Spot?

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: Indicator

#9 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:03 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Any reason why it's not Dennis Hopper's Hot Spot?
Several glaringly obvious ones, starting with the fact that The Hot Spot is in colour.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Indicator

#10 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:38 pm

I assume that film's title is a reference to like a nightclub or something in an old noir but I'm not finding anything on that front.

User avatar
NABOB OF NOWHERE
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Brandywine River

Re: Indicator

#11 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 pm

MichaelB wrote:
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Any reason why it's not Dennis Hopper's Hot Spot?
Several glaringly obvious ones, starting with the fact that The Hot Spot is in colour.
OK But before I go and stand in the corner with my Dunce cap on what are the others?

User avatar
mistakaninja
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:15 pm

Re: Indicator

#12 Post by mistakaninja » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:01 pm

The mob place in the '54 Dragnet film was called The Hot Spot, but that was colour too. I Wake Up Screaming was originally called Hot Spot, but it was a reference to the electric chair rather than anything specific in the picture.

User avatar
Ovader
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:56 am
Location: Canada

Re: Indicator

#13 Post by Ovader » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Costa wrote:Anyone know from which film is this clue for next batch?
Image
Lady In The Lake?

User avatar
L.A.
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Indicator

#14 Post by L.A. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Films where a person meets or kidnaps someone and keeps him/her in captivity, a theme that might interest for the time being. After watching David Thompson’s video interview on Eureka’s disc of That Cold Day in the Park (1969) he mentioned The Collector (1965). Sorry if this has been discussed before but has Indicator any plans for the Wyler film?

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Indicator

#15 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:51 pm

I think it's Sony, so they could

User avatar
rapta
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:04 pm
Location: Hants, UK

Re: Indicator

#16 Post by rapta » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:59 pm

The Collector was amongst a number of Columbia titles I enquired about when they first launched, but I never got a clear answer. It may have been one of the titles they signed later on, no doubt after several requests, but also may not be. What I've discovered recently is that there are dozens of titles that would seem second nature for Indicator to release, and when I've enquired about them they've been honest and said they don't have very many of them ('yet').

Since most of the titles I enquired about were ones with already competent masters - often newly restored by Grover Crisp's team, and released elsewhere (e.g. Twilight Time, Carlotta, Umbrella etc) - I assume either Sony are hanging onto them for whatever reason, or maybe other labels such as Eureka are setting up deals with Sony and they're signing the same sorts of titles. I know of at least one other UK label looking into a Sony deal right now, so we can't expect Indicator to get absolutely everything in the Columbia vaults, especially since they're starting to look further afield (e.g. Universal, possible upcoming MGM/Fox deal).

Anyway, I'm sure The Collector will probably show up via either Indicator or Eureka sometime in the next 12 months. Possibly even Arrow, if they want more on their plate (they're juggling enough as it is with MGM and Universal deals, and in-house restorations of their own to deal with).

User avatar
colinr0380
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:30 pm
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, UK

Re: Indicator

#17 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:32 am

This is not really related to anything that Indicator could release (or probably have any interest in!), but on the theme of 'captivity films' perhaps the one I would most highly recommend (certainly the one that pushes to the extreme boundaries of that subgenre: its only a short hop from here to the grand guignol Guinea Pig films) is Yazuso Masumura's 1969 film Blind Beast (NSFW), with the blind sculptor kidnapping a model (with the help of his obliging, longsuffering mother!) to hold in his warehouse to help him sculpt giant parts of bodies. Its a very 'tactile' film, but also a darkly psychological one too with the strange turns that its storyline takes.
SpoilerShow
And it manages to tie in all of those abstracted body parts and the focus placed on touch instead of sight given primacy in an artwork into a beautifully twisted dismemberment climax that entirely elides blood and gore for the amputated body parts to just be 'cut off' by the edges of the cinemascope screen, with the remaining parts of the bodies highlighted against blackness
(Plus I've been curious for a while to revisit that 1981 film Tattoo with Bruce Dern and Maud Adams, though I remember it getting scathing reviews at the time!)

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: Indicator

#18 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 pm

I can certainly confirm that there are absolutely no plans for Indicator to move in that direction. I have the schedule for the next eighteen months, and the only film on it that comes close to being foreign-language is March’s The Passenger - which stars Jack Nicholson and is mostly in English.

User avatar
Ribs
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Indicator

#19 Post by Ribs » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Totally understand if you can't say this at all, but just if you're in the spirit of confirming what Indicator isn't planning on branching into - there's no overlap with Sony/Columbia titles Criterion has already released in the US but not yet the UK, right? I don't imagine there would be, as it seems unlikely we'd have already gone through 18 months without one happening yet.

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Indicator

#20 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:53 pm

Not that I can see. As you say, if the UK rights had been available, Criterion would most likely have snapped them up already, most likely prior to Indicator’s initial launch in autumn 2016.

User avatar
rapta
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:04 pm
Location: Hants, UK

Re: Indicator

#21 Post by rapta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Isn't Criterion's UK venture basically in partnership with Sony? I'd imagine any Columbia titles Criterion have planned for North America would be automatically reserved for UK release as well, at least for the next year or two? In other words, even if Indicator - or any other UK label, for that matter - were to try and license something Criterion had already released from the Sony catalogue, or were planning to in the near future, wouldn't Sony simply turn them down since they would have a vested interest in that title? Of course, the only thing that could change that assumption was if Criterion released a Sony title in North America that Indicator had previously released over here; such as The Passenger, for example, which I had assumed would be released by Criterion at some point.

User avatar
Ribs
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Indicator

#22 Post by Ribs » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:57 pm

Yes, but people on Blu-ray's forum lack that common sense and have been speculating about Anatomy of a Murder and other titles for months.

I'd actually imagine it goes both ways, to be honest, and should be an indication Criterion has no plans for the Passenger at the moment.

M Sanderson
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Indicator

#23 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:43 am

Are we likely to see Walter Hill’s Geronimo from Indicator?

Isn’t it a Sony/Columbia title.

Obviously, TT release upcoming stateside.

User avatar
Feego
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#24 Post by Feego » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Is there any shot at Gidget coming from Indicator?

User avatar
ellipsis7
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#25 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 am

Following the notable success of Indicator's excellent THE PASSENGER BR, two outstanding Antonioni films awaiting quality Bluray release anywhere remain IL GRIDO & ZABRISKIE POINT, and so may be worth their consideration for further releases. I recently saw some HD res footage from IL GRIDO at the current LA DOLCE VITTI exhibition in Rome... While a decent high res scan of ZABRISKIE POINT was created for the 2014 Hollywood Classics UK/Ireland theatrical rerelease of ZABRISKIE POINT on D-Cinema/DCP...

Post Reply