Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

nitin

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#51 Post by nitin » Sat May 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Costa wrote:
nitin wrote:Are Krull and 80’s sci fi the “great classics” you were calling for?
of course not.
I am not sure how you connected the 2.
SpoilerShow
(anyway, I think that post was a mistake because it was misunderstood by many. I wasn't referrring to Indicator. I was referring to horror fans in general that they're so ardent, when MichaelB said there were complaints that Indicator doesn't release much horror, and I just meant that generally, in the whole Bluray world by ALL labels, there are many wonderful restorations of horror-B movies, but not great classics - meaning famours Error Flynn, Bette Davis, Fred Astaire movies and such stuff). I guess I shouldn't write this in an Indicator thread but quote MichaelB in another general thread about blurays. I hope I'm not misunderstood any further. The Krull and 80s sci-fi post was totally irrelevant to my previous posts!
Lost Highway wrote:
That’s quite the punchline to your thread of reasoning.
see above.

Anyway, my favourite genres of not-great-classics that I would like to see in Indicator more are:
80s sci fi (as i said), biblical epics, peplum italian films, 50s melodramas, historic/adventure, obscure animation and why not anime.
A lot of those classics are with Warner and that is probably why none of the boutique labels (except Criterion) have done any restorations for those films. Shout/Scream have a few Warner titles coming up but most do not look to be new restorations and again are mainly horror at this stage.

Costa

#52 Post by Costa » Sun May 06, 2018 12:37 am

domino harvey wrote:...he's referring to the very films which have already been announced: the Hammer box and Footsteps in the Fog
oh, hehe. he got me there! :lol:

And I was thinking something in the lkes of Scaramouche, Prizoner of Zenda or some other titles that TT had released etc.

rapta

#53 Post by rapta » Sun May 06, 2018 4:50 am

tojoed wrote:May I ask if anyone knows whether or not "California Split" is in the pipeline.
Rumoured for Criterion so I'd be surprised if Sony licensed it to them. Obviously it's a no-brainer if it turns out Criterion aren't doing it after all! Probably the best Altman I've seen to date, in my opinion.

Some non-Sony Altman would be a good compromise though! How about A Wedding, which saw a 4K restoration recently? Or maybe Thieves Like Us, Buffalo Bill and the Indians, Quintet, Fool for Love, O.C. & Stiggs...Gosford Park...The Player? :D

MichaelB

#54 Post by MichaelB » Sun May 06, 2018 6:43 am

Costa wrote:And I was thinking something in the lkes of Scaramouche, Prizoner of Zenda or some other titles that TT had released etc.
I've said it before in this thread, but it bears repeating: Twilight Time has much less influence on Indicator's acquisition decisions than people often seem to assume.

The fact that there's a small overlap (mainly caused by them both having deals with Sony/Columbia) and that Indicator has occasionally licensed Twilight Time extras (because why not, if they already exist?) has led to people jumping to the conclusion that Indicator is "the British Twilight Time", but that really isn't the case: both labels have their own quite distinct agendas.

As I see it, TT's main priority is to secure HD releases of Hollywood golden age titles that generally haven't seen the light of a Blu-ray laser before, while Indicator is much more focused on the idea of specifically disinterring and championing titles that have been unfairly neglected. Sometimes these interests overlap - for instance, The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds and The St. Valentine's Day Massacre - but a lot of the time they don't: for instance, Indicator is much more likely to take on obscure British films.

Obviously never say never (and in any case it wouldn't be my decision), but I'd be surprised if Indicator acquired either of the titles you mention, as they don't really fit that image.

KJones77

#55 Post by KJones77 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:35 am

All of the movies I would want Indicator to release are apparently Warner Bros (Hombre, Seven Days in May, Night Moves, The Yakuza, Point Blank), haha. Is there any chance Indicator could have a relationship with Warner Bros similar to Criterion's new found partnership?

Also, what are the odds on some Carl Franklin like One False Move or Devil in a Blue Dress? Both appear to be with Sony too.

MichaelB

#56 Post by MichaelB » Sun May 06, 2018 10:53 am

The Yakuza and Point Blank are already out in the UK, courtesy of HMV's Premium Collection. So that's something.

Costa

#57 Post by Costa » Sun May 06, 2018 11:30 am

MichaelB wrote:for instance, Indicator is much more likely to take on obscure British films.

well, nothing obscure about it, but I hope then - regarding British cinema - they aquire Henry V (1989).
The German bluray has no english subtitles (and a hilariously irellevant cover), and the Shout edition is not optimally encoded like the German one.
KJones77 wrote: Is there any chance Indicator could have a relationship with Warner Bros similar to Criterion's new found partnership?
yeah, it would be great if they aquired such a relationship, as I also would like many Warner films.

DeprongMori

#58 Post by DeprongMori » Sun May 06, 2018 11:52 am

KJones77 wrote:All of the movies I would want Indicator to release are apparently Warner Bros (Hombre, Seven Days in May, Night Moves, The Yakuza, Point Blank), haha. Is there any chance Indicator could have a relationship with Warner Bros similar to Criterion's new found partnership?

Also, what are the odds on some Carl Franklin like One False Move or Devil in a Blue Dress? Both appear to be with Sony too.
All of these up top are currently available region-free from Warner on Blu.

On the other hand, the Carl Franklin films would be a nice add. I don't think One False Move has even gotten a Twilight Time release.

KJones77

#59 Post by KJones77 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:02 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
KJones77 wrote:All of the movies I would want Indicator to release are apparently Warner Bros (Hombre, Seven Days in May, Night Moves, The Yakuza, Point Blank), haha. Is there any chance Indicator could have a relationship with Warner Bros similar to Criterion's new found partnership?

All of these up top are currently available region-free from Warner on Blu.

On the other hand, the Carl Franklin films would be a nice add. I don't think One False Move has even gotten a Twilight Time release.
Yeah, I know they are. I've never bought from Warner, but I usually buy because of special features hence why I was hoping someone else would pick them up.

Pretty sure One False Move has never gotten any kind of blu ray release, whether boutique or from the studio. Devil in a Blue Dress was at least a TT release.

Calvin

#60 Post by Calvin » Sun May 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Costa wrote: well, nothing obscure about it, but I hope then - regarding British cinema - they aquire Henry V (1989).
The German bluray has no english subtitles (and a hilariously irellevant cover), and the Shout edition is not optimally encoded like the German one.
That's almost certainly not going to happen either. It's owned by ITV, who saw fit to give it a UK Blu-Ray release almost a decade ago.

My own personal hope is that Indicator got Albert Finney's Charlie Bubbles from Universal. It's right up their alley.

Costa

#61 Post by Costa » Sun May 06, 2018 10:57 pm

Calvin wrote:
Costa wrote: well, nothing obscure about it, but I hope then - regarding British cinema - they aquire Henry V (1989).
That's almost certainly not going to happen either. It's owned by ITV, who saw fit to give it a UK Blu-Ray release almost a decade ago.
I said the 1989 version. :wink:

I don't see a UK bluray for this. only for the 1944 version. I'm sure this is what you meant, right?

nitin

#62 Post by nitin » Mon May 07, 2018 1:14 am

Costa wrote:
Calvin wrote:
I said the 1989 version. :wink:

I don't see a UK bluray for this. only for the 1944 version. I'm sure this is what you meant, right?
It’s Universal in the UK so could be possible through Indicator’s new (but limited) Universal deal, or alternatively Arrow Academy.

Calvin

#63 Post by Calvin » Mon May 07, 2018 1:18 am

You're right, my mistake.

Costa

#64 Post by Costa » Mon May 07, 2018 4:00 am

nitin wrote: It’s Universal in the UK so could be possible through Indicator’s new (but limited) Universal deal, or alternatively Arrow Academy.
Ah, thank you!
Hope someone makes a special edition or something, with a 4K scan.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 23, 2018 8:41 am

It would fit well in Indicator's recent theme of Upgrading DVDs I Own

Aunt Peg

#67 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed May 23, 2018 9:12 am

domino harvey wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:41 am
It would fit well in Indicator's recent theme of Upgrading DVDs I Own
I finally got around to watching my DVD copies of The Reckless Moment (and Caught) last week, having not seen the either film in decades. I like them but will never watch them again so they are heading off to the second hand marketplace.

Costa

#68 Post by Costa » Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 am

ellipsis7 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 am
Following the notable success of Indicator's excellent THE PASSENGER BR, two outstanding Antonioni films awaiting quality Bluray release anywhere remain IL GRIDO & ZABRISKIE POINT, and so may be worth their consideration for further releases. I recently saw some HD res footage from IL GRIDO at the current LA DOLCE VITTI exhibition in Rome... While a decent high res scan of ZABRISKIE POINT was created for the 2014 Hollywood Classics UK/Ireland theatrical rerelease of ZABRISKIE POINT on D-Cinema/DCP...
I would certainly buy IL GRIDO!
I'm a huge Steve Cochran fan.
(i've seen the movie too, I liked it a lot, although I'm not a huge Antonioni fan)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#69 Post by swo17 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 am

Won't come from Indicator. Bug Eureka about it.

rapta

#70 Post by rapta » Thu May 24, 2018 6:25 am

KJones77 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:35 am
All of the movies I would want Indicator to release are apparently Warner Bros (Hombre, Seven Days in May, Night Moves, The Yakuza, Point Blank), haha. Is there any chance Indicator could have a relationship with Warner Bros similar to Criterion's new found partnership?

Hombre is with Fox, so entirely possible. The others are definitely Warner Bros (I watched Point Blank a few months ago, and The Yakuza just the other night; thoroughly hoping they'll do the other two).

I asked John from Indicator about Devil in a Blue Dress a couple of times and he said they didn't have that one lined up, but things could've changed. It's with Sony, so not completely off the cards. Never seen it myself but Denzel's obviously a draw.
Hoping this turns out to be more than just speculation. Probably likely if they're retweeting about it! Ophuls under-represented on Blu-ray in the UK (particularly things like Letter from an Unknown Woman and Lola Montès).
swo17 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 am
Won't come from Indicator. Bug Eureka about it.
Yup, Indicator have repeatedly said they're only doing English-language films (or at least films with English as the primary dialogue). And of course MoC have released it on DVD before so could be an eventual upgrade for them.

antnield

#71 Post by antnield » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:48 am

Ad in the new issue of Sight & Sound has David Mamet's Oleanna and Costa-Gavras's Missing as August 20th releases.

mistakaninja

#72 Post by mistakaninja » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:06 am

Ministry of Fear and The Odessa File in August too.

senseabove

#73 Post by senseabove » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Any bright ideas for the clue?
SpoilerShow

Glowingwabbit

#74 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:10 pm

senseabove wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:21 pm
Any bright ideas for the clue?
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
My immediate thought was Sunset Boulevard. But that's probably not it. Not sure who owns it

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#75 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:18 pm

The Swimmer? Obviously not a screenshot from it, but still