75 Suddenly, Last Summer

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

75 Suddenly, Last Summer

#1 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:25 pm

SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER
(Joseph L Mankiewicz, 1959)
Release date: 22 April 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere) - pre-order here

Directed by Joseph L Mankiewicz (Dragonwyck, All About Eve, Cleopatra) from the play by Tennessee Williams (A Streetcar Named Desire, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof) and brilliantly adapted for the screen by Gore Vidal (Ben-Hur, Myra Breckinridge), Suddenly, Last Summer casts three of Hollywood’s most iconic talents (Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Montgomery Clift) in a daring and often delirious mix of lurid drama and Gothic horror. Sensational and wildly controversial at the time of its release, Suddenly, Last Summer now stands as a classic – and stills packs a provocative punch.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• 4K restoration from the original negative
• Original mono audio
Joseph L Mankiewicz Interview (1990, 10 mins): the renowned filmmaker discusses his career in a segment from the French TV series Cinéma cinémas
Elizabeth Taylor on Montgomery Clift (1966, 2 mins): the celebrated actress pays tribute to her friend and co-star shortly after his tragic death in July 1966
Gary Raymond on 'Suddenly, Last Summer' (2018): a new interview with the versatile British actor
About Last Summer (2018, 16 mins): second assistant editor John Crome shares his experience of making Suddenly, Last Summer
Remembering Last Summer (2018, 3 mins): continuity supervisor Elaine Schreyeck recalls working with Mankiewicz, Hepburn and Clift
The Predator and the Prey (2017, 26 mins): critic and film historian Michel Ciment examines the film's production and explores its complex themes and concerns
• Isolated music and effects track
• Original theatrical trailer
• Trailer commentary with Dan Ireland (2013, 3 mins): a short critical appreciation
• Image gallery: on-set photography, publicity stills and promotional materials
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 40-page booklet with a new essay by Samm Deighan, a set report from Films and Filming magazine, a profile of production designer Oliver Messel, Tennessee Williams on Suddenly, Last Summer, a statement by producer Sam Spiegel, contemporary reviews, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies

#PHILTD075
BBFC cert: 15
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071441

Apperson

Re: 75 Suddenly, Last Summer

#2 Post by Apperson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 am

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo

#4 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:18 am

So how does this one compare to the other Williams plays that Taylor and Hepburn performed?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 am

Haven't seen the Glass Menagerie but this is def a better adaptation than the Richard Brooks Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Mankiewicz takes a pretty salacious source text and does what he can to preserve its perversity (while still altering much of the material)-- as much as I like Brooks' later Sweet Bird of Youth, he couldn't pull off a similar feat (though I don't think the material there necessarily calls for such an extreme finale as in the play), and of course Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is pretty much incoherent without the gay motivators

knives

#6 Post by knives » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:43 am

This is honestly one of my favorite Manks because of how well he understands the craziness the material needs to survive.

Roscoe

#7 Post by Roscoe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:44 pm

There's a fine film of the play SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER, made for television I believe, with Maggie Smith as Mrs. Venable and Natasha Richardson as Catharine. Very well done, even with Rob Lowe as the doctor. Watching Maggie Smith work her wiles on Rob Lowe is more than worth the effort it'll take to seek it out -- you haven't quite lived until you've experienced Maggie Smith turning those bedroom eyes on Rob Lowe and purring out the words, "Dr. Sugah..."

colinr0380

#8 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:18 pm

R0lf

#9 Post by R0lf » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:50 am

The late career Taylor/Roeg TV production of SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH is a fab watch too; the material is easy fodder for Taylor - drink in hand - playing it at eleven and Roeg who can still direct a masterclass on any budget.

It also makes the smart choice of having main attraction Taylor on screen for all but five minutes of the movie.

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 02, 2018 6:42 pm

CineOutsider:
This new Indicator release is another in the label's consistently excellent releases, showing first-rate technical quality and a dedication to extra features rarely seen elsewhere.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Right now multiple Blu-ray.com users are justifying buying the barebones Twilight TIme release because it has a "better" cover, which means they're wrong twice simultaneously. I just can't right now, someone needs to hurl that forum into the blazing hot fires of the sun

KJones77

#12 Post by KJones77 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:44 pm
Right now multiple Blu-ray.com users are justifying buying the barebones Twilight TIme release because it has a "better" cover, which means they're wrong twice simultaneously. I just can't right now, someone needs to hurl that forum into the blazing hot fires of the sun
I saw that and just don't get it. Just print out a new cover or something if it's that important. Plus, it's not even like the Indicator cover is bad. It's just the poster.

I get not wanting to import, but to willingly choose to get a barebones disc because of a picture? Yikes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 pm

Indicator's cover is beautiful and Twilight Time's is a Twilight TIme cover. Importing the region free Indicator would cost less than having the TT shipped on sale. Dasha was wrong, these are the people with worms in their brains

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#14 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 pm

I think their preference boils down to which cover shows actual photographed skin

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#15 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:52 am

I know some French people who dont buy anything that isnt in a regular plastic case, so they're currently importing the BFI Belle et la bête, despite the French release being out for years and not having to deal with the replacement programme, while simultaneously hoping the replacement will be maybe even better than the French disc.

Some people are just crazy and their priorities too.

EDIT : the full story is even better. When La belle et la bête was released in France some years ago by M6, it was in a fancy cardboard packaging with a booklet. Because it wasn't a plastic case and that the packaging is slightly higher than your regular Blu-ray case, these persons ranted about it and chose not to buy it. Now, a regular plastic-case release exists but it doesn't have the booklet, so they don't want to buy it either. They thus waited for the BFI release, only to find about the compression issues, and are now hoping that once fixed, it will be better than the French disc... which was already very good in this regard.

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:28 am

Standard edition confirmed for 25th May - same Blu-ray disc as the limited edition (extras and all), but no booklet or reversible sleeve, and it comes in an Amaray instead of a Scanavo case.