71 The Fortune

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Randall Maysin

Re: Indicator

#1 Post by Randall Maysin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:10 pm

The Fortune, or what I saw of it on Youtube, is a weird, frustrating experience. It's a well-written, imaginative, nasty comedy that appears to have had all its punchlines neatly snipped out, which is apparently what Mike Nichols, or someone, did to the script. It's still pleasant enough so I guess it would be worth checking out, mainly to see Jack Nicholson chew up the remnants of what probably would have been the best comedic role of his career. Also, it's funny and not too surprising that there is no crying emoticon for messages in this forum :D

MichaelB

#2 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:50 am

...and final specs for The Fortune.

Everything’s bang on schedule for the 22 January release date.

hearthesilence

#3 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 pm

I have the transcript of the Nichols and May talk somewhere - it's wonderful on paper and I'm sure even better to hear. Honestly, those two hadn't lost a step since their days a comedy duo. One of my favorite one-liners from Nichols comes after May compliments him on a hilariously strange metaphor involving a prostitute.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 pm

We wanted to include one of their original routines, but the licensing fee was eye-watering. But in many ways this was more appropriate, as it’s entirely about working in the film industry, and it’s not by any means Ishtar-specific.

hearthesilence

#5 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:48 pm

I hear ya. I'm glad there's a recording of that talk, Nichols made a lot of post-screening appearances in NYC, and I wasn't sure how many of them were ever recorded. (I've seen May introduce a screening of Mikey and Nicky at MoMA, so she does make the occasional appearance as well.)

Their original albums are classics - for anyone who's curious, I don't think their own records are hard-to-find in great condition on used vinyl. I picked one up for peanuts not too long ago. And of course there's always YouTube...

Ribs

#6 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm

... so does this mean we shouldn’t be expecting Indicator to put out Ishtar?

Big Ben

#7 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Ribs wrote:... so does this mean we shouldn’t be expecting Indicator to put out Ishtar?
I'd love to see Mikey and Nicky instead (Anyone know it's status?) but in this day and age Ishtar would be an interesting relic.