41-43, 51-53 The Wonderful Worlds of Ray Harryhausen Volumes One and Two

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

What A Disgrace

41-43, 51-53 The Wonderful Worlds of Ray Harryhausen Volumes One and Two

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue May 30, 2017 9:44 am

THE WONDERFUL WORLDS OF RAY HARRYHAUSEN, VOLUME ONE: 1955-1960

£42.99

PRE-ORDER NOW: THIS ITEM WILL BE RELEASED ON 18 SEPTEMBER 2017, BUT YOU CAN PRE-ORDER IT NOW TO BE GUARANTEED A COPY. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY, AND THE ITEM WILL SHIP JUST BEFORE THE RELEASE DATE.

IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (Robert Gordon, 1955)
20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH (Nathan Juran, 1957)
THE 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER (Jack Sher, 1960)
Release date: 18 September 2017
Limited Dual Format Edition (UK Blu-ray premieres)

These spectacular films, each featuring pioneering special effects by filmmaking legend Ray Harryhausen, are presented on Blu-ray for the very first time in the UK. Containing a wealth of new and archival extras – including exclusive new interviews with director Joe Dante, SFX maestro Dennis Muren, and Aardman Animation co-founders David Sproxton and Peter Lord – this stunning Limited Dual Format Edition Box Set is strictly limited to 6,000 units.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• HD restorations of It Came from Beneath the Sea and 20 Million Miles to Earth;
• 4K restoration from the original camera negative of The 3 Worlds of Gulliver;
• Original black and white and alternative, authorised colourised versions of It Came from Beneath the Sea and 20 Million Miles to Earth;
• Mono and 5.1 surround sound audio options;
It Came from Beneath the Sea and 20 Million Miles to Earth audio commentaries with Ray Harryhausen;
• New interview with filmmaker Joe Dante;
• New interview with SFX maestro Dennis Muren;
• New interviews with Aardman Animation's David Sproxton, Peter Lord and Dave Alex Riddett;
• Archival documentaries, interviews and featurettes;
• Original trailers and promotional films;
• Isolated score on The 3 Worlds of Gulliver by Bernard Herrmann;
• Promotional and on-set photography, poster art and archive materials;
• Box set exclusive 80-page book with new essays, and film credits;
• UK premieres on Blu-ray;
• Limited edition box set of 6,000 copies
...AND MORE!

#PHIDFE041
BBFC cert: PG
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071205

THE WONDERFUL WORLDS OF RAY HARRYHAUSEN, VOLUME TWO: 1961-1964

MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (Cy Endfield, 1961)*
JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (Don Chaffey, 1963)
FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (Nathan Juran, 1964)*
Release date: 13 November 2017
Limited Dual Format Edition (* UK Blu-ray premieres)

These all-time classic adventures, each featuring pioneering special effects by filmmaking legend Ray Harryhausen, are presented here in stunning 4K restorations. Containing a wealth of new and archival extras – including audio commentaries with the great Ray Harryhausen himself, a Jason and the Argonauts commentary with Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson, new interviews with SFX maestro Hal Hickel and genre-film expert Kim Newman – this ravishing Limited Dual Format Edition Box Set from Indicator is strictly limited to 6,000 units.

• 4K restorations from the original camera negatives
• Mono and 5.1 surround sound audio options
• Ray Harryhausen audio commentaries
• Additional Mysterious Island audio commentary with film historians Randall William Cook, C. Courtney Joyner and Steven C. Smith
• Additional Jason and the Argonauts audio commentary with filmmaker Peter Jackson and Randall William Cook
• 'Jason and the Argonauts' Original Skeleton Fight Storyboards
• Ray Harryhausen on 'Mysterious Island'
• Hal Hickel on 'Mysterious Island' (2017): new interview with the special effects maestro
• Kim Newman on 'Mysterious Island' (2017): new appreciation by the author and genre-film expert
• Islands of Mystery: vintage featurette
• Randall William Cook Introduces 'First Men in the Moon'
• Tomorrow the Moon: vintage featurette
• New and exclusive interviews with crew members, including camera assistant Ray Andrew (Mysterious Island) and production manager Ted Wallis (First Men in the Moon)
• Mysterious Island comic-book
• Archival documentaries and interviews
• Super 8 versions of Mysterious Island and Jason and the Argonauts
• Isolated scores: experience the music of Bernard Herrmann (Mysterious Island) and Laurie Johnson (First Men in the Moon)
• Original trailers, teasers, TV spots and promotional films
• John Landis trailer commentary for First Men in the Moon
• Image galleries: extensive promotional and on-set photography, poster art and archive materials
• Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with new essays by film experts Kim Newman and Tim Lucas, an in-depth oral history of all three films, and full film credits
• UK Blu-ray premieres of Mysterious Island and First Men in the Moon
• Limited Dual Format Edition Box Set of 6,000 numbered units
...AND MORE!

#PHIDFE051
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071267

rapta

Re: Indicator

#2 Post by rapta » Wed May 31, 2017 10:59 am

Ribs wrote:
What A Disgrace wrote:I assume Harryhausen 1955-1960 will include It Came From Beneath the Sea, 20 Million Miles to Earth, Earth vs. The Flying Saycers abnd The 3 Worlds of Gulliver. And I imagine a follow-up will date from 1961-1964, including Mysterious Island, Jason and the Argonauts and First Men in the Moon.
Indicator has all the Harryhausens but Argonauts, as it's already been released. So the other two might just be standalones as they're the more high-profile titles of the set.

I'm absolutely and totally unaware of pretty much any of these films but I'm open-minded about what Indicator will be putting together and look forward to more details.
I think you're mostly right about the first set, but they might not have Earth vs. the Flying Saucers because after they announced the Sinbad set I seem to remember them saying they had 5 more Harryhausen titles left to do - and seeing as Sony already released Jason and the Argonauts themselves (as Ribs had already pointed out before me), they may just release Mysterious Island and First Men in the Moon as standalone titles.

That would be fine by me, since those are actually the two Harryhausen titles I'm most interested in (particularly Enfield's Mysterious Island).

What A Disgrace

#3 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:42 am

Ribs wrote:The latest newsletter from Raygun claims there will by the end of the year be two additional Harryhausen sets after the Sinbad trilogy (presumably meaning that First Men in the Moon and Mysterious Island will be in a box on their own) and that there will also be two Hammer sets in that same time period.
I'm hoping that they snatched up Jason and the Argonauts in the interim, to be boxed with Mysterious Island and First Men on the Moon. Has it undergone a 4K restoration like Sinbad?

Dr Amicus

#4 Post by Dr Amicus » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Isn't Jason one of the HMV Special Editions?

rapta

#5 Post by rapta » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:42 pm

More likely they'll get Earth vs. the Flying Saucers before Jason and the Argonauts, simply because - as Dr Amicus points out above - it was recently released by Sony themselves as part of the HMV Premium Collection.

But yes, since both have already been released by Sony in the UK, it could be that the third box set is just a two-pack of First Men in the Moon and Mysterious Island, which I'd actually be quite happy with and more likely to buy.

Ribs

#6 Post by Ribs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Indicator saying on FB the third Harryhausen set will be three films, with a "big surprise."

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Ribs wrote:a "big surprise."
A movie not related to Harryhausen.

Ribs

#8 Post by Ribs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger with the real most recent transfer?

rapta

#9 Post by rapta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Ribs wrote:Indicator saying on FB the third Harryhausen set will be three films, with a "big surprise."
A little pissed off if it's Jason and the Argonauts as I literally just bought it (Sony released it themselves as an HMV 'exclusive' just a few months ago).

Could instead be The Valley of Gwangi, which would be a pretty big surprise in that it's from Warner Bros - obviously few labels have managed to sublicense from that particular studio. Indicator did say they had arranged a deal with another rights-holder, so pretty good going if they did get a limited deal with Warner Bros. If true, I imagine they'd leap on a handful of Warner Archive titles and other UK debuts, but obviously with in-house encoding, plus new extras and booklets.

Ribs

#10 Post by Ribs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:36 pm

If the other studio that Indicator are locking down is Warners it would really just be stupendous. Indicator's got some serious releases obviously but it's from a library that in the scheme of things has been very well served on Blu-ray; just imagining what the other releases could be, and their legible subtitles, seems too good to be true, so it probably is. (If it is Gwangi, I expect it's probably through the support of the Harryhausen family or something like that like Oliver Stone and TT)

Orlac

#11 Post by Orlac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:01 am

Hopefully the transfer for Mysterious Island, 20 Million Miles and Earth Vs The Flying Saucers will be newer ones. The DVd-era transfers were zoomed and cropped for the first, and the third is missing a chunk of the image ala Blood and Black Lace, To quote Glen Erickson

"The framing is a bit suspect, as the titles are so far off center as to make the left extreme of some of the credits go off screen."

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:07 am

Indicator isn't releasing Earth vs the Flying Saucers - it's already out on a UK BD.

Orlac

#13 Post by Orlac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 am

Hmm, so that leaves Mysterious Island and First Men In the Moon for the third set - Jason is also already out on UK BD. Unless I'm missing something?

Dr Amicus

#14 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:52 am

Assuming no duplication with previous UK Blu-Ray releases, I would have thought Gwangi is the most likely contender - unless it's a selection of short films.

Orlac

#15 Post by Orlac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:59 am

Well, Gwangi is with Warners...

Short films makes sense. Heck, maybe the Puppetoons.

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:37 am

November's releases have just been announced, starting with:

THE WONDERFUL WORLDS OF RAY HARRYHAUSEN, VOLUME TWO: 1961-1964

MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (Cy Endfield, 1961)*
JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (Don Chaffey, 1963)
FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (Nathan Juran, 1964)*
Release date: 13 November 2017
Limited Dual Format Edition (* UK Blu-ray premieres)

These all-time classic adventures, each featuring pioneering special effects by filmmaking legend Ray Harryhausen, are presented here in stunning 4K restorations. Containing a wealth of new and archival extras – including audio commentaries with the great Ray Harryhausen himself, a Jason and the Argonauts commentary with Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson, new interviews with SFX maestro Hal Hickel and genre-film expert Kim Newman – this ravishing Limited Dual Format Edition Box Set from Indicator is strictly limited to 6,000 units.

• 4K restorations from the original camera negatives
• Mono and 5.1 surround sound audio options
• Ray Harryhausen audio commentaries
• Additional Mysterious Island audio commentary with film historians Randall William Cook, C. Courtney Joyner and Steven C. Smith
• Additional Jason and the Argonauts audio commentary with filmmaker Peter Jackson and Randall William Cook
• 'Jason and the Argonauts' Original Skeleton Fight Storyboards
• Ray Harryhausen on 'Mysterious Island'
• Hal Hickel on 'Mysterious Island' (2017): new interview with the special effects maestro
• Kim Newman on 'Mysterious Island' (2017): new appreciation by the author and genre-film expert
• Islands of Mystery: vintage featurette
• Randall William Cook Introduces 'First Men in the Moon'
• Tomorrow the Moon: vintage featurette
• New and exclusive interviews with crew members, including camera assistant Ray Andrew (Mysterious Island) and production manager Ted Wallis (First Men in the Moon)
• Mysterious Island comic-book
• Archival documentaries and interviews
• Super 8 versions of Mysterious Island and Jason and the Argonauts
• Isolated scores: experience the music of Bernard Herrmann (Mysterious Island) and Laurie Johnson (First Men in the Moon)
• Original trailers, teasers, TV spots and promotional films
• John Landis trailer commentary for First Men in the Moon
• Image galleries: extensive promotional and on-set photography, poster art and archive materials
• Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with new essays by film experts Kim Newman and Tim Lucas, an in-depth oral history of all three films, and full film credits
• UK Blu-ray premieres of Mysterious Island and First Men in the Moon
• Limited Dual Format Edition Box Set of 6,000 numbered units
...AND MORE!

#PHIDFE051
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071267
...and it can be preordered here.

Feego

#17 Post by Feego » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 am

What A Disgrace wrote:If Indicator managed to get a deal with Warner Bros., a volume 3 of the Wonderful Worlds of Ray Harryhausen (which would really be a volume 4, since we started with Sinbad) could contain One Million Years BC, Valley of Gwangi and Clash of the Titans, all owned by Warner.
One Million Years BC was released on Blu-ray by Studio Canal in the UK and by Kino in the US (licensed from Fox). It does not appear that Warner owns the title.

What A Disgrace

#19 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:55 am

For some reason, Harryhausen number 1 is listed as being released on Friday on Amazon, instead of today.

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:32 am

What A Disgrace wrote:For some reason, Harryhausen number 1 is listed as being released on Friday on Amazon, instead of today.
October 2, in fact - there was a delay in production of the boxes.

Costa

#21 Post by Costa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 am

I wanted to ask something:
The specs of Indicator Bluray of Jason and the argonauts vs. the US bluray, seem exactly the same to the last byte.
How can this be?
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0& ... 41&i=2&l=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn't Indicator do their own encoding?

Something tells me that caps-a-holic have made a mistake and posted the same specs for both.

Apperson

#22 Post by Apperson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 pm

The Jason disc is the same as HMV disc, which I guess is just a port of the U.S disc.

Similar to Annie Hall and Manhattan in Arrow's Woody Allen collection, Indicator lobbied to include Jason in the box for a more complete package to compare with Vol.1, and to write about it in the booklet, but it will remain box-set exclusive.

MichaelB

#23 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:17 pm

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned here, but it was certainly publicised elsewhere (I can think of at least three places, including Blu-ray.com and the official Indicator Facebook page) that Powerhouse was only able to include Jason and the Argonauts if it was the existing Sony disc. And Apperson is entirely correct about the parallels with the Annie Hall and Manhattan situation.

Basically, if a title is currently in print on BD in the same territory, major studios don't seem to like boutique labels producing what will inevitably be perceived as rival editions, especially if they attempt to improve on them (Arrow, for instance, would certainly have fixed the subtitle gag in Annie Hall if they'd been given the option). So it's the existing disc or nothing at all, take it or leave it.

Although fortunately the existing Sony edition of Jason is excellent - the only minor annoyance being that two of its extras were also included in the Indicator Sinbad box (because at the time they hadn't managed to secure Jason), but there's not a lot that can be done about that.

MichaelB

Re: 41-43, 51-53 The Wonderful Worlds of Ray Harryhausen

#24 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:34 am

To mark what would have been Ray Harryhausen's 98th birthday, Powerhouse is offering all three Indicator Harryhausen boxes at a combined discount - the offer expiring at midnight on Sunday (UK time) or when they run out of The Sinbad Trilogy, whichever's soonest.

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

Re: 41-43, 51-53 The Wonderful Worlds of Ray Harryhausen

#25 Post by FigrinDan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:10 pm

Thank you for the heads up on the Harryhausen Birthday Special, MichaelB. I was waiting to purchase these sets (and The Sinbad Trilogy) from Amazon. This definitely saved me some $$$.