31 Castle Keep

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

31 Castle Keep

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 05, 2017 9:38 am

(Sydney Pollack, 1969)
Release date: 24 July 2017
Limited Dual Format Edition (Blu-ray premiere)

Sydney Pollack’s Gothic war drama stars the great Burt Lancaster as the brutal, one-eyed army major in charge of a small group of American GIs fighting to save the castle they're stationed in during World War II.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Alternative 4.0 Surround sound track
• The John Player Lecture with Burt Lancaster (1972, 100 mins): audio recording of an interview conducted by Joan Bakewell at the National Film Theatre, London
• The Lullaby of War (2017, 18 mins): a new interview with actor Tony Bill about his experiences making Castle Keep
• Eastlake at USD (1968, 29 mins): an archival, videotaped interview with the acclaimed author of the original Castle Keep novel, William Eastlake
• Original theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 36-page booklet with a new essay by Brad Stevens, archival interviews with Sydney Pollack and Burt Lancaster, and original pressbook material
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Dual Format Edition of 3,000 copies

What A Disgrace

Re: Indicator

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri May 05, 2017 11:59 am

domino harvey wrote:Castle Keep is one of the best international WWII films of the 60s, and not a title I ever expected to hit Blu-ray
I was about to dismiss Castle Keep on the basis of it being a Pollack film, but then I read a little bit about it, and I'm really keen to see it.

Ribs

Re: Indicator

#3 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Wanted to put in a good word for Castle Keep, which rules. A great time, it is exactly what it says on the tin: Burt Lancaster, with an eyepatch, keeps a castle. If that can't inspire a purchase I don't know what will.

And the release is really pretty spiffy - it's a fairly damaged source with a fair bit of specks and dirt and stuff you usually see cleaned up on a lot of releases but it's actually still a very handsome, colorful, strong transfer that absolutely doesn't feel like it's been just sitting on the shelf for a decade.