24-26 The Sinbad Trilogy

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

What A Disgrace

Re: Indicator

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Ribs wrote:Sinbad trilogy as a box.
Father's Day present is a lock.

L.A.

#2 Post by L.A. » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:35 pm

Sorry for not noticing this before but a Sinbad box is upcoming? Oh yeah!

Costa

#3 Post by Costa » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:05 pm

peerpee wrote:SINBAD box got pushed a few months. Awaiting a new 4K resto.
What will this box include?

peerpee
not perpee

#4 Post by peerpee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:47 pm

Full details will probably be announced next month (March) – but I think it's already common knowledge that it's basically the three RH Sinbads.

What A Disgrace

#6 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:20 am

Probably the Sinbad boxed set at last.

Emak-Bakia

#7 Post by Emak-Bakia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:40 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Probably the Sinbad boxed set at last.
[-o< I've been dying for a copy of Afros and Bellbottoms on blu for years!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Houseguest on Blu-ray with Kim Newman commentary [-o<

Costa

#9 Post by Costa » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:45 am

So, it was the Sinbad boxset announced today!
Do we know which is the new scan they were waiting for?
The first movie?

Calvin

#10 Post by Calvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:35 am

ImageImageImageImage
• Restored from the original negatives
• Mono and 5.1 surround sound audio options
• The 7th Voyage of Sinbad audio commentary with Ray Harryhausen
• Previously unreleased audio interviews with Ray Harryhausen and producer Charles H. Schneer
• New interviews with actors Tom Baker, Caroline Munro and Jane Seymour
• New interview with SFX maestro Phil Tippett
• Original Super 8 cut-down versions of all three films
• Archival documentaries, interviews and featurettes
• Original trailers and promotional films
• Isolated scores by Bernard Herrmann, Miklós Rózsa and Roy Budd
• Promotional and on-set photography, poster art and archive materials
• Box set exclusive 80-page book with new essays, and film credits
• Limited edition box set of 6,000
...AND MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!
Gorgeous design for this set.

The newsletter also confirmed The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T for July.

What A Disgrace

#11 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 am

I was planning to get that boxed set for my father as a Christmas present, but its so beautiful looking I might just have to keep it for myself.

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Full specs announced:

Emilio

#13 Post by Emilio » Thu May 11, 2017 6:06 am

Wow. Extensive!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#14 Post by tenia » Thu May 11, 2017 8:55 am

It's a minor thing, but I really like knowing at first glance when are the extras from. It's sometimes difficult to find out, so it's really a good habit Indicator took to made this clear.

I also love these Super 8 versions. It's a real curiosity to see how they can sum up a 100 minute movie into roughly 20 minutes.

midnitedave

#15 Post by midnitedave » Thu May 11, 2017 9:19 am

Thoroughly excited about this one! Little disappointed that Indicator didn't reach out to the Harryhausen Foundation to get the commentaries he did for "Golen Voyage" and "Eye of the Tiger," but considering all the other goodness I can get over that quickly.

Edit: Indicator responded to me on Twitter regarding using the Foundation's commentaries: "Yes we did try, but unfortunately their expectations were a lot higher than ours, great shame."
Makes one wonder what their "expectations" were.
Last edited by midnitedave on Thu May 11, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 11, 2017 9:24 am

tenia wrote:I also love these Super 8 versions. It's a real curiosity to see how they can sum up a 100 minute movie into roughly 20 minutes.
In which case you'll probably be even more fascinated by the fact that at least half the Super 8 versions were repackaged as black and white silent films, for the benefit of those with projectors that lacked sound - which was a lot more common in the 1960s and 70s than you might have expected. I suspect the black and white was to make them cheaper to mass-produce.

Jonathan S

#17 Post by Jonathan S » Thu May 11, 2017 10:27 am

MichaelB wrote:
tenia wrote:I also love these Super 8 versions. It's a real curiosity to see how they can sum up a 100 minute movie into roughly 20 minutes.
In which case you'll probably be even more fascinated by the fact that at least half the Super 8 versions were repackaged as black and white silent films, for the benefit of those with projectors that lacked sound - which was a lot more common in the 1960s and 70s than you might have expected. I suspect the black and white was to make them cheaper to mass-produce.
Usually the silent and/or black & white versions came first - often in abridgements lasting well under 10 minutes! It was only around the mid-1970s, when sound projectors became more affordable, and Super 8 (the Bluray of its day!) had superseded Standard 8, that most studios started to release the twenty-minute cutdown versions with sound and (where appropriate) colour. Oddly though, in the 1960s, there had been several complete features, including Psycho, available in Standard 8 sound from Universal (before Super 8 took off).

7th Voyage and Jason and the Argonauts were anomalies, though, in that, long before the twenty-minute (400 feet) abridgements were popularised, Columbia made these titles available in 4 x 200ft editions, each part being sold separately. The episodic nature of the films made them suitable for this.

Some releases, including these two Harryhausen titles if I remember correctly, were available in both Standard and Super 8mm formats, colour or black & white, sound or silent - and each and every permutation of those formats. The boxes were usually the same, but a small sticker on the front specified the format. The price tended to be double for sound, and around double again for colour and sound. It was a very expensive hobby; the complete features I bought of Holiday and The Third Man, when they eventually became available in the late 1970s, cost me around £80-90 - about £400 each in today's money.

If I recall correctly, Columbia were the first major studio (at least in the UK) to enter the "400ft sound abridgement" market but they came in for a lot of criticism with their use of a narrator to bridge the storyline gaps. This was after the four-part Harryhausen editions but I remember it very well on The Wild One, where the narrator even instructs the viewer on how to interpret some scenes. The interjections of the "Columbia narrator" were dreaded!

I still have 1970s copies of Super 8 Collector magazine, which reviewed the home movie editions for the skill with which they were edited, besides image and sound quality. Unfortunately, these varied greatly from print to print! Most commercial Super 8 colour prints have now faded very badly (often to pink).

MichaelB

#18 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 30, 2017 2:12 pm

The official Indicator teaser for their upcoming Sinbad box set, featuring the most tantalisingly fleeting glimpse of the wonder that is their new Tom Baker interview. (There's another 36 minutes, and it's all glorious.)

Costa

#19 Post by Costa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:17 am

Does anyone know if the Sinbad movies will be sold seperately?

I just saw at caps-a-holic that the Eye of the tiger is worse than the TT I own, so - since I own the other TT Sinbad too (this seems similar with the Indicator one)- I'd be interested only in The 7th voyage of Sinbad.

edit: Oh, just saw a reply of theirs in a comment at facebook that it will be sold seperately! :)

By the way, I can't believe that people are saying at bluray.com that this actually looks better.
Well, to each his own.

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=438 ... 1&i=3&go=1
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=789 ... 1&i=3&go=1
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=903 ... 1&i=6&go=1

Apperson

#20 Post by Apperson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 am

Costa wrote:By the way, I can't believe that people are saying at bluray.com that this actually looks better.
Well, to each his own.

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=438 ... 1&i=3&go=1
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=789 ... 1&i=3&go=1
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=903 ... 1&i=6&go=1
I think I did a lot of that defending, and I do prefer the brighter colours, but having looked at it a lot noise isn't great and the edge enhancement is quite bad. I hope someone at Indicator can make a post about it.

Costa

#21 Post by Costa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Apperson wrote: I think I did a lot of that defending, and I do prefer the brighter colours, but having looked at it a lot noise isn't great and the edge enhancement is quite bad. I hope someone at Indicator can make a post about it.
it's a pity seeing this again, the usual bashing (internet rubbish, armchair critics) of the people that have a better perceptiveness of a transfer:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "nothing" the gentleman refers to here is the fact, that the master Indicator used is very clearly the exact same used for the UK DVD released in 2005!!

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0& ... 92&i=4&l=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0& ... 94&i=6&l=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

same colors, same brightness, same halos, same blown out whites etc..

Costa

#22 Post by Costa » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:36 pm

I'm not sure why Indicator is unable to acknowledge the problem:

from a reply at facebook about Eye of the Tiger being the old master:
The masters we received are approved by Sony Pictures, including the 4k for 7th Voyage. We had some amazing comments from Caps a holic yesterday and this was their quote ' the Powerhouse transfers and encodes surpasses your competitors in terms of grain and lack of compression artifacts'.

Ribs

#23 Post by Ribs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:05 pm

It's not a "problem." The Indicator release is a different transfer, possibly older, that is encoded better than the TT. I think it still looks pretty spiffy, and it certainly isn't worth a fuss.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#24 Post by tenia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:25 pm

Ribs wrote:it certainly isn't worth a fuss.
The issue is when a so-far-trustworthy label says "we got the latest master from Sony" and now it could actually be a "possibly older" one that looks noisier and artificially sharpened (plus, judging from the caps-a-holic cap #7, some blown out highlights that don't seem right).

So, while a "fuss" might be too big of a word, I certainly think there is something to understand behind these differences.

Ribs

#25 Post by Ribs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:42 am