10 The Last Detail

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

PfR73

10 The Last Detail

#1 Post by PfR73 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 pm

(Hal Ashby, 1973)
Release date: 27 February 2017
Limited Dual Format Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)

"No *#@!!* Navy's going to give some poor *!!@ kid eight years in the #@!* brig without me taking him out for the time of his *#@!!* life."

When Buddusky (Jack Nicholson) and Mulhall (Otis Young) are detailed to take a young sailor, Meadows (Randy Quaid), from a Virginia Naval Base to a New Hampshire Naval Prison to serve an eight-year sentence for a trivial offense they decide to show him a good time on their journey north...

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• 4K restoration from the original negative
• Original mono audio
• Two presentations of the feature: the original, uncut theatrical version, and the world exclusive home video presentation of the 1976 TV syndication cut
• An Introduction by filmmaker Alexander Payne (2017, 5 mins)
• About a Trip (2017, 16 mins): an appreciation by Alexander Payne
• A Search for Truth (2017, 21 mins): an interview with editor Robert C. Jones
• An Interview with Michael Chapman (2004, 4 mins): the acclaimed director of photography discusses his work on The Last Detail
• Isolated score: experience Johnny Mandel’s original soundtrack music
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing, available for both presentations of the feature
• Limited edition exclusive 28-page booklet with a new essay by Michael Pattison, and an examination of the 1976 TV cut
• UK Blu-ray premiere
• Limited Dual Format Edition of 5,000 copies

MichaelB

Re: Indicator

#2 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:01 pm

PfR73 wrote:MichaelB,
With your work as a disc producer, I was wondering if you might be able to provide some insight into a question I have.

Last night I was doing my own comparison between the Indicator & Twilight Time releases of The Last Detail. As expected from all sources, the Indicator disc handily trounces the Twilight Time disc in almost all ways. However, there is actually one area where the Twilight Time disc is superior: the Theatrical Trailer

The Twilight Time disc has the trailer in widescreen HD, with the quality pretty close to the quality of the film transfer (good color, sound, etc).

The Indicator disc has a fullscreen trailer that is clearly of SD origin and the quality is pretty bad (lots of damage, faded colors, pretty bad sound).

They are the same trailer (both running 2:58, same cuts, same VO, same optical titles in the same places), so it's not a case of 2 different theatrical trailers being used; and since the Twilight Time disc was released first, it's not like this was a newer scan of the trailer after the Indicator disc.

Why would a licensor (in this case, Indicator) producing a newer, better disc be using a much poorer quality version of the trailer than a previously released disc (from a different licensor)? Shouldn't Sony provide the same quality trailer to both?
That disc was before my time, I’m afraid.