3 Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

3 Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

#1 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 am

Stanley Kramer's landmark study of racial prejudice stars the ace comic duo of Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn as perplexed parents. When Joanna (Katharine Houghton) returns home with her new fiancé John Prentice (Sidney Poitier), a distinguished black doctor, her mother accepts her daughter's decision, but her father is shocked by the prospect of the interracial union. With the doctor's parents equally dismayed, both families must meet to explore the limits of their intolerance.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition restoration
• Original mono audio
• Multichannel surround sound option
• Four Introductions (2007): Karen Kramer (3 mins); Steven Spielberg (1 min); Tom Brokaw (3 mins); Quincy Jones (3 mins)
• A Love Story for Today (2007, 30 mins): production retrospective
• A Special Kind of Love (2007, 17 mins): documentary featuring archival recordings of Katharine Hepburn
• Stanley Kramer: A Man’s Search for Truth (2007, 17 mins): a look at Kramer’s vision
• Stanley Kramer Accepts the Irving Thalberg Award (1961, 2 mins)
• 2007 Producers Guild Stanley Kramer Award Presentation to An Inconvenient Truth (5 mins)
• Isolated score: experience Frank DeVol’s original soundtrack music
• Image gallery: promotional photography
• Original theatrical trailer
• Teaser trailer
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 20-page booklet with a new essay by the BFI’s Tega Okiti and a critical overview by Jeff Billington
• UK Blu-ray premiere
• Limited Dual Format Edition of 3,000 copies

Ribs

Re: 3 Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

#2 Post by Ribs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:20 am

I'm really intrigued why this release is the only one I know of to feature clips from, respectively, the Producer's Guild awards and the Academy Awards (Governor's Ball). Surely if they're open to be licensed it should be something that appears on a lot of similar releases? The same is true of the AFI 100 Years clips on the Criterion Mad, Mad World disc - does Stanley Kramer just convince the studios to let go of all their preconceived licensing restrictions?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 am

I feel like I've seen Oscar clips on other releases, but I'm blanking right now. There's footage of the 1939 Awards on some release, because I distinctly remember watching a newsreel with Thomas Mitchell's acceptance "speech" for Stagecoach

Apperson

#4 Post by Apperson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 am

MoC's A Letter to Three Wives has newsreel footage of the 1950 Academy Awards.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:18 am

Standard edition confirmed for 25th May - same Blu-ray disc as the limited edition (extras and all), but no DVD, booklet or reversible sleeve, and it comes in an Amaray instead of a Scanavo case.