On Ordering Indicator Releases

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

KJones77

Re: On Ordering Indicator Releases

#101 Post by KJones77 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:24 pm

charal wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:32 am
Anyone else having trouble using their credit card on the new Indicator website? Mine was delined twice due to some testing error (on their part). I did it the third time with paypal and it worked.
A few people on blu-ray.com seem to have had the same issue, but one has said that it is now fixed. An email sent to them attributed it to a "test mode glitch", so it should be good to go now.

KJones77

#102 Post by KJones77 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:38 am

So this week was the 2 year anniversary for Indicator.

Any word on if they will be doing another anniversary sale?

KJones77

#103 Post by KJones77 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:42 am

https://m.zavvi.com/offers/independent- ... house.list

Zavvi is running a 2 for 30% off offer through the 19th on select Indicator titles.

MichaelB

#104 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:13 am

Black Friday sale now on - running from now until midnight GMT on Monday, covering titles originally released between October 2016 (i.e. the label's launch) to March 2018.

Standard editions are £8.99, limited editions £9.99, box sets £26.99.

At present, the titles most likely to go OOP (very possibly during this sale if precedent is any guide) are Bunny Lake Is Missing, Eyes of Laura Mars and Mickey One.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#105 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:58 am

Have the shipping fees changed somehow ? They are currently much lower than I recall for international customers. And it seems like there is a £100 threshold above which the shipping fees are offered.
I might order way more from Indicator instead of Amazon, now.

MichaelB

#106 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:35 am

They have indeed changed, but I have no more idea about the fine details than you have as it's outside my department. (I'm strictly disc content - even the booklets are outside my remit.)

Although I believe the free-shipping threshold is £50 for UK customers, £100 for international ones.

And they've just confirmed that today's best-selling titles are Blue Collar, The Border and The Passenger.

Florinaldo

#107 Post by Florinaldo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks for the heads-up regarding this sale. The one Hammer box set (Vol. 2) I had not yet bought happens to be offered at a most attractive price. I also noticed that shipping fees are now lower.

I am always suprised by which titles sell out quickly while releases which I (very subjectively) consider worthier remain available long after (like The Big Heat and The Lady From Shanghai).
Last edited by Florinaldo on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#108 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Well, those two you cite were already out on Blu-ray, so I imagine many consumers did not feel the need to pick them up considering they don't add that much to the existing releases

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#109 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:35 pm

They were, but not in the UK, though, right ?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#110 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Yep

Florinaldo

#111 Post by Florinaldo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:50 pm

As I said, there is an amount of subjectivity involved, but the previous BD releases were not as satisfactory as the Indicator, whether in terms of video quality or of supplements, in spite of the partial duplications. It's true though that many people in NA may have bought the earlier releases not knowing that another edition, possibly more desirable, was coming out. Sometimes though the desirability factor may not be strong enough to compensate for the duplications (as with the new French "Ultra Collector" edition of The Lady from Shanghai, where even the big book included in that new edition may not be enough to induce repeat buying).

After doing a little test, I can confirm that International shipping is indeed free over £100.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#112 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:05 pm

What I meant is that they also weren't released in the UK, and thus were not as easily accessible to the wide audience than a domestic release. Though globalization is a reality, I'm still under the impression than nothing replaces a domestic release and that in the end, import / export remains only a fraction of the sales.

MichaelB

#113 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:17 pm

tenia wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:05 pm
What I meant is that they also weren't released in the UK, and thus were not as easily accessible to the wide audience than a domestic release. Though globalization is a reality, I'm still under the impression than nothing replaces a domestic release and that in the end, import / export remains only a fraction of the sales.
To a very large extent, that does indeed seem to be true. Someone complained about Second Run releasing the third BD of Karel Zeman's Invention for Destruction, but the two previous ones were both Czech-only - and the number of people who import from the Czech Republic must be vanishingly tiny. As I said then, I'd honestly be surprised if it was more than double figures, and most likely low double figures at that.

And there's always the famous example of F For Fake, which triggered an epic complaint from a poster here (not anyone current, I don't think) saying that it was completely unnecessary, that Eureka was totally wasting their time, that everyone interested in the film would have imported the Criterion edition already, etc. etc.

You can probably guess the punchline:
SpoilerShow
it was one of MoC's all-time best-selling DVDs.
Also, with regard to British labels, I suspect that even Britons who import have been cutting down since the Brexit referendum sent the pound plunging. I know I have - pretty much every Criterion release I've bought in the last two years has been courtesy of Criterion UK, with the Bergman box the only exception that I can think of. Unsurprisingly, my importing golden era was the mid-2000s, when the pound typically nudged two dollars, but that all came crashing down with Lehman Brothers in 2008.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#114 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:30 pm

I think there is however probably a split between the US and the EU/UK countries. It has become a massive hassle (financially too) to import from the US while it's noticeably easier and cheaper to import from the UK. I would understand thus if there is a preferred import / export for UK releases elsewhere in Europe (like we French do with Indicator or Arrow) but that it's more limited with US releases (hence my point about The Lady From Shanghai). And I too have slowed down quite a lot my Criterion US imports.

But of course, this is all my 2 cents based on possibly changed markets and that may vary depending on the releases.

Ribs

#115 Post by Ribs » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:33 pm

Wish I had known about the shipping cutoff as I could have added three titles to my order for basically the cost of two - ah well. Glad to be able to order these, especially as getting the not-brand-new titles at £15 or lower seems a bit of a rarity.

KJones77

#116 Post by KJones77 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:02 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:13 am
Black Friday sale now on - running from now until midnight GMT on Monday, covering titles originally released between October 2016 (i.e. the label's launch) to March 2018.

Standard editions are £8.99, limited editions £9.99, box sets £26.99.

At present, the titles most likely to go OOP (very possibly during this sale if precedent is any guide) are Bunny Lake Is Missing, Eyes of Laura Mars and Mickey One.
Seems like Eyes of Laura Mars won the OOP race. Now showing as sold out on Indicator's site.

MichaelB

#117 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:03 pm

No surprise - that one started out with only about half as many copies as the other two.

Cronenfly

#118 Post by Cronenfly » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:38 pm

Is it safe to order to Canada through Indicator now? Do they still send using a method that automatically leads to import fees or have they changed? I placed a small order to test the waters but it would be nice to know for sure.

stevewhamola

#119 Post by stevewhamola » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Cronenfly wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:38 pm
Is it safe to order to Canada through Indicator now? Do they still send using a method that automatically leads to import fees or have they changed? I placed a small order to test the waters but it would be nice to know for sure.
I don't recall having to pay extra for my order during last year's sale or the Harryhausen bundle. I just went to town on this sale so I hope that's still the case.

hearthesilence

#120 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:45 pm

I wound up double dipping and got FAT CITY and THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (on top of several titles that I didn’t have). I balked at getting them last year but the extras looked too good to pass up again, especially with the current exchange rate.

Almost got THE LAST DETAIL but for myself, the no-frills Twilight Time release that I already have should be fine.

Florinaldo

#121 Post by Florinaldo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:49 pm

stevewhamola wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:17 pm
Cronenfly wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:38 pm
I don't recall having to pay extra for my order during last year's sale or the Harryhausen bundle. I just went to town on this sale so I hope that's still the case.
When I ordered that bundle, they sent it through UK Royal Mail and it sailed through customs without a hitch. Now that the rotating Canada Post strikes are scheduled to end this weekend or in the next few days, the same thing is likely to happen this time and orders can be expected to arrive normally once the backlog is cleared. Unless the order is so big that the declared value raises a flag in the customs system.

If they send it though a private courier like Fedex or Purolator, things may be different.

Cronenfly

#122 Post by Cronenfly » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:50 pm

That’s what I’m wondering, whether they are still using companies like FedEx.

fdm

#123 Post by fdm » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:56 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:35 am
Although I believe the free-shipping threshold is £50 for UK customers, £100 for international ones.
Figures I missed free shipping by £0.10.

TMDaines

#124 Post by TMDaines » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Fuck. How’d I miss this sale?! Twitter and the deals section of the forum failed me.

fdm

#125 Post by fdm » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Friday morning I opened their newsletter email and pretty soon after that placed my order. (Incidator kindly refunded me the postage, by the way, since it was so close.)