106 Missing

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

106 Missing

#1 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:13 am

MISSING
(Costa-Gavras, 1982)
Release date: 20 August 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)

This tense real-life political drama about the 1973 kidnap and murder in Chile of young American journalist Charles Horman, directed by provocateur Costa-Gavras (Z, State of Siege, Betrayal), follows the efforts of the journalist's wife (Sissy Spacek - Carrie, The Coal Miner's Daughter) and father (Jack Lemmon - Some Like It Hot, The China Syndrome) to uncover the crime and bring those responsible to justice. Causing controversy upon its release (prompting the US government to condemn the film), this powerful indictment of US foreign policy went on to win an Academy AwardImage for Best Adapted Screenplay, as well as nominations for Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Picture.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• The Guardian Interview with Costa-Gavras (1984, 85 mins): archival audio recording of an interview conducted by Derek Malcolm at London’s National Film Theatre
• The Guardian Interview with Jack Lemmon (1986, 116 mins): archival audio recording of an interview conducted by Jonathan Miller at the National Film Theatre
• Costa-Gavras: Cannes Film Festival Interview (1982, 3 mins): short interview with the director
• Costa-Gavras: Journal Antenne 2 Interview (1982, 4 mins): news article with journalist Christine Ockrent
• Many Americas (2006, 31 mins): Costa-Gavras reflects upon the production and reception of the film
• Freedom of Information (2006, 27 mins): Joyce Horman discusses the real-life events behind Missing and the experience of being portrayed on screen
• Politically Personal (2018, 24 mins): a new filmed appreciation by filmmaker and actor Keith Gordon
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: promotional photography and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 40-page booklet with a new essay by Michael Pattison, an interview with Costa-Gavras, an interview with journalist Thomas Hauser, an overview of responses to the film, and extensive film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray•Limited Edition of 3,000 copies

#PHILTD106
BBFC cert: 15
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071502

Aunt Peg

Re: 106 Missing

#2 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 am

Day 1 for Missing. I'll be in London - are Indicator titles sold at HMV and other retailers?

Ribs

#3 Post by Ribs » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:12 am

Yessss

Alphonse Tram

#4 Post by Alphonse Tram » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:30 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 am
Day 1 for Missing. I'll be in London - are Indicator titles sold at HMV and other retailers?
If in London the best place to go is Fopp in Covent Garden. You'll also be able to pick up loads of very cheap Arrow and Criterions there too. Fopp Arrow discs are way cheaper than the Arrow sale.

nitin

#5 Post by nitin » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:29 am

This should hopefully be from the recent 4k restoration which I was hoping Criterion would upgrade, but this will do nicely instead.

Aunt Peg

#6 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:53 am

Alphonse Tram wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:30 am
Aunt Peg wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 am
If in London the best place to go is Fopp in Covent Garden. You'll also be able to pick up loads of very cheap Arrow and Criterions there too. Fopp Arrow discs are way cheaper than the Arrow sale.
Thanks so much.

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:29 am

Great to see another Keith Gordon appreciation on here. Enjoyed his apperance on the Blue Collar disc.

Seems UK boutiques go through phases of releasing titles featuring a certain actor, and Jack Lemmon is the current flavour of the month* (The Apartment, The China Syndrome). Whether it's a happy accident or entirely on purpose, great to see some Costa-Gavras finally make it to these shores!

*If my calculations are indeed correct, we could also see both Cowboy and Bell, Book and Candle from Indicator. Perhaps even some more Wilder - Some Like it Hot, Irma La Douce, The Fortune Cookie and The Front Page are each deserving of fresh UK discs. And of course Altman's The Player and Short Cuts are curiously vacant too (I do hope Indicator get their hands on at least one Altman title).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 am

Hopefully they go for My Sister Eileen first

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#9 Post by tenia » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am

I'm unsure then : will it use the newer restoration (which I believe is a 4K one) or an older one ? It looks like an older one but it might just be a wording thing.

nitin

#10 Post by nitin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Apparently the 4K restoration is French funded and this maybe just Universal’s HD remaster (Indicator’s wording is very consistent and the most transparent of all the labels). Hopefully MichaelB can confirm one way or the other.

Costa

#11 Post by Costa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:22 am

nitin wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:47 pm
Apparently the 4K restoration is French funded and this maybe just Universal’s HD remaster (Indicator’s wording is very consistent and the most transparent of all the labels). Hopefully MichaelB can confirm one way or the other.
Actually I was thinking it may be good that this is not the 4k restoration, because I see all the other restorations of Gavras films are tealified to the bone!
And I would expect this would be too.

Anyway, I watched this film 2 days ago for the first time and i found it too a trully great film!

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:10 am

Final specs announced:

Having been through the disc myself, I'm rather impressed that despite it including no fewer than four Costa-Gavras interviews, there's barely any content overlap. The longest is a career overview, there's a half-hour piece about Missing itself, and the two short 1982 pieces discuss various contemporary issues around the film (Poland, El Salvador, the US State Department's antipathy, etc.).

Aunt Peg

#13 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:27 am

The extras are wonderful and completely different from the Criterion edition. Will be very happy to have this edition sitting next to the Criterion DVD edition.

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:35 am

In all fairness, I should point out that a slightly shorter version of the French TV interview and the whole of 'Many Americas' are on the Criterion DVD - they've fused them together and presented them as an interview with Costa-Gavras.

But the Joyce Horman interview (which is fascinating, and beautifully complementary) seems only to have been released on the French DVD, and the two long audio interviews haven't been commercially released before at all to my knowledge - and of course the Keith Gordon piece was commissioned specifically for this release. (He's been a fan of the film since its original release, and cites it as a key inspiration for his own 2000 film Waking the Dead, which has a Chilean political backdrop.)

MichaelB

#15 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Beaver.

I should probably point out that the disc does mention upfront that the sound quality of the Jack Lemmon interview drops sharply in the second half, due to the final reel of the only known recording having literally decomposed. In fact, we debated cutting out the audience Q&A altogether because of this, but thought that including it but with a warning would be the best option, not least because what you can hear through the murk is so enthralling.

(The first half, a one-to-one conversation with Jonathan Miller, who'd recently directed Lemmon on stage and therefore could hardly be a better or more incisive interviewer, is fine.)

Aunt Peg

#16 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:40 am

Must say its a shame you couldn't get an interview with Sissy Spacek. She didn't participate in the Criterion DVD edition either.

Jack Lemmon regarded it as the best film he made. Shame is was still around to share what would have been his current thoughts on the film.

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:03 am

As ever in these situations, her agent was contacted, but she chose not to participate.

Although the Joyce Horman interview is a more than adequate substitute, not least because she's the actual person that Spacek's character was based on, so she can discuss the performance from a genuinely unique perspective.

(Horman did a complete U-turn from being highly dubious about the merits of a Hollywood film about what was still an all too raw real-life situation - hence Spacek's character having a different name - to being a fervent champion of the end result. The major catalyst for this was Costa-Gavras being hired as director, which alone suggested that it wouldn't take the standard "Hollywood" approach - as indeed it didn't.)

Rupert Pupkin

#18 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:41 am

is there really a X4 restoration around ? (in France, I can see a Costa Gavras box set by StudioCanal with "Missing" but I wasn't able to find a screenshot from this Blu-Ray).
instead, there's 2 Blu-Ray compared (Arte ? I thought that in France it was released by StudioCanal - see the url above) and This Indicator release. There are not significant variation (judging by the screenshots). If the encoding and bitrate is higher, there's perhaps some differences in motion :

https://www.amazon.fr/Costa-Gavras-Inté ... B01KIJG448

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=12 ... 198&c=4804

is really the Criterion blu-ray upgrade of "Missing" a "there's not hope" status now ? I remember it opens with the Universal logo; and perhaps I'm wrong, but from what I can remember Criterion was already into Blu-Ray when they put out "Missing". Unfortunately just for DVD at that time. From what I can remember, during a short era (several months), some Criterion were available both on blu-ray and DVD, and some others were unique to DVD.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#19 Post by tenia » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:52 am

Not all the movies released through the recent Arte boxsets have been newly restored.

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:22 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#21 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:00 am

Discussion of missing titles from Amazon.co.uk's site moved here

jazzo

#22 Post by jazzo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 am

Unless I'm reading them wrong (which is entirely possible), both the CineOutsider and Mondodigital reviews seem to..errr...indicate that this disc is actually region-free. Can anyone confirm this either way?

MichaelB

#23 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:35 am

It certainly shouldn't be, and they won't have been sent final production copies - and there've been situations in the past where check discs have inadvertently been region-free. (Or, in one case, locked to Region B even though the disc - the BFI's Winstanley, if I remember rightly - was region-free!)

DVD Beaver actually checks these things, and confirms Region B. It may well be the case that the others merely assumed that it was region-free because that's true of most Indicator releases - but this is definitely one of the exceptions.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#24 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:36 am

The copy I received was Region B.

jazzo

#25 Post by jazzo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks for responding, Michael.