Forthcoming: California Split

Discuss Blu-rays released by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

rapta

Forthcoming: California Split

#1 Post by rapta » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Turns out Criterion might not have California Split after all: http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/california-split-1974

Or they might do, but at least not for a while (Sony would have hung onto it if they had plans for Criterion, as they'd want to release it in both US/Canada and the UK). Either way I am ecstatic this went to a good home - it's possibly my favourite Altman!

Fingers crossed this is a December title, but if not then January or February will be nice too. I'm pre-ordering it immediately, either way!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:00 pm

If this came out in December, it would be a banner ending to a banner year for a banner label

dwk

Re: Forthcoming: California Split

#3 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 pm

So the runtime listed is 12 seconds shorter than the theatrical. I assume this will be still be trimmed because of the music?

rapta

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#4 Post by rapta » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:11 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:00 pm
If this came out in December, it would be a banner ending to a banner year for a banner label
Someone on BR.com just pointed out that the BBFC listing says "RELEASE DATES 21/01/2019" so I'm guessing this is actually a January title after all. Still, good start to the year!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:12 pm

dwk wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 pm
So the runtime listed is 12 seconds shorter than the theatrical. I assume this will be still be trimmed because of the music?
I imagine that whatever Indicator releases will reflect the best materials they could assemble, so let's not start expecting the worst based on a twelve second reported discrepancy

KJones77

#6 Post by KJones77 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Very excited for more Altman!

dwk

#7 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:12 pm
dwk wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 pm
I imagine that whatever Indicator releases will reflect the best materials they could assemble, so let's not start expecting the worst based on a twelve second reported discrepancy
I had forgotten how extensive the DVD cuts were, but the BBFC's runtimes are (or should be) correct, so something is still missing. But it is a vast improvement over the previous release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Twelve seconds reported difference could easily be explained several different ways and does not necessarily indicate missing footage

tojoed

#9 Post by tojoed » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:31 pm

The run time is the same as on IMDB, 108 minutes. The Sony DVD, which was very decent considering the music cuts, is 105 minutes.

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:35 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:37 pm
Twelve seconds reported difference could easily be explained several different ways and does not necessarily indicate missing footage
In my experience, a twelve-second discrepancy is often down to something as banal as a missing distributor ident, or one playing at a different length.

In fact, this is why Arrow missed the fact that Shivers was initially cut, because the running times of their first master and the uncut version matched far more closely than they should have done, and with the exception of just one scene the cuts were so tiny (mere frames in a couple of cases) as to be easily missed except by Cronenberg obsessives. The cause for the closer-than-expected timing similarities turned out to be a double-length animated Lionsgate ident.

And if California Split was shown to the BBFC in 1975 with a Columbia Pictures ident AND a local Columbia-Warner one, as the listing certainly implies... well, that's most likely your answer.

dwk

#11 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:47 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:35 pm
And if California Split was shown to the BBFC in 1975 with a Columbia Pictures ident AND a local Columbia-Warner one, as the listing certainly implies... well, that's most likely your answer.
Sounds good.