The Hobbit Trilogy (Peter Jackson, 2012-2014)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
FrauBlucher

Re: The Hobbit Trilogy (Peter Jackson, 2012-2014)

#126 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri May 10, 2024 12:46 pm

Is this something from the books or this will be original material?

captveg

#127 Post by captveg » Fri May 10, 2024 12:55 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:46 pm
Is this something from the books or this will be original material?
One assumes it will be based on this part of Tolkien's writing, but there's less narrative available to adapt, so I'm sure some story elements will be created (reference stolen from a more knowledgeable person on another forum; I would not have found this on my own):
SpoilerShow
The Elves of Mirkwood, apparently cooperating with Gandalf, tracked him. His presence terrified the beasts and birds, as he ate eggs and the young animals from nests and holes, even broke into houses and approached cradles of the babies of the Woodmen, who spoke about a blood-drinking ghost, until he reached again the Great River; then for some reason, as the Wood-elves say, he turned southwards and his traces were lost. And then Gandalf neglected the matter because he had much else to think at that time, which was a great mistake because it was the year when Sauron declared himself openly, and Gollum turned towards Mordor.[3][4]

Thirty years later he reached the confines of Mordor, and met Shelob, who would help him take his revenge. As he ventured into Mordor he was captured by Sauron and for the next years he was forced to reveal what he knew about the Ring.[4] Thus Sauron's spies learned from him that the One Ring was found, and the names "Shire" and "hobbits". Meanwhile (3001) Gandalf suspected that Bilbo's Ring was one of the Rings of Power and changed his plans to resume his search for Gollum, but that was in vain as his tracks had been too old now,[3] and Gollum was in Mordor. By T.A. 3017 Gollum was set free, only to be caught at last by Aragorn at the skirts of the Dead Marshes. After many perils Aragorn led and turned him over to Gandalf.[3][4] Gollum whined and cringed and licked his wounded hands and fingers.

The Wizard attempted to interrogate him and among Gollum's growling, snorting, curses and lies (he talked about his "birthday present", which his grandmother gave him among her magic rings) Gandalf endured many weary days. He had to threaten him with fire, and managed to learn of the story he didn't know bit by bit, but Gollum didn't say much after the departure of Bilbo as he feared Mordor more. Gollum felt misunderstood and ill-treated, exiled into a hole and then "robbed"; and spoke about revenge, thanks to his new friends.[3] Gandalf placed him in the care of the Silvan Elves living in Thranduil's Woodland Realm of Mirkwood.

In June of T.A. 3018, Orcs raided the Elves of Mirkwood (in an obviously coordinated attack) allowing Gollum to escape. He resumed his search of the Ring and presumably, he decided to hide into Moria in August, in order to lose his pursuers, the Elves and the servants of Sauron. However he could not open the Doors of Durin from the inside so didn't exit into Eriador to reach the Shire.[9]
https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Gollum

captveg

#128 Post by captveg » Thu May 16, 2024 8:00 pm

An insightful Deadline article which covers how the film came about.
“Pete has always admired Andy’s abilities as a director,” she said. “That’s why he asked him to shoot his second unit. It was kind of a no brainer. It was never about, why Andy? It was like, please, God, let Andy say yes. We wanted him to tell the story of Gollum and the hunt for Gollum as soon as we decided, okay, that’s the story. And Pete knew he didn’t want to direct go back into the world of Middle-earth again. [Peter] really enjoyed working with Kenji Kamiyama, who directed War of the Rohirrim. As soon as Pete decided, okay, I’m not going to direct it myself, and it’s going to be Gollum’s story, I swear to God, there was no one else but Andy Serkis.

“There’s nobody else you can think of who knows what goes into that character and we know what he brings to it and brings to the whole world of Middle-earth. Andy is going to have a really interesting take. It’s going to be his own take, because what we don’t want this film to be is just the fourth film in the trilogy. This film has to work in its own way. And that’s our job. That’s what we are going to have to be able to do. I know there’s plenty of people out there who will be like, oh no, why are they doing this? Why are they going back in? Well, that’s our job, to prove why we think that it’s a good idea.”