A Single Man (Tom Ford, 2009)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
CSM126

Re: A Single Man (Tom Ford, 2009)

#26 Post by CSM126 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:10 pm

perkizitore wrote:Do you mean stylistically subtle? Because, content wise it is subtle (except if you regard male nudity as 'blunt') :-k
My major complaint is the pseudo Philip Glass score and the variety of methods used in flashbacks (B&W, slow motion fantasy), but i loved the sets and costumes.
Blunt both stylistically and content-wise. Seriously, the whole plot of this movie is "I'm alone. Aw, that makes me sad and the world seems dark. Hey, someone's talking to me! I'm happy and everything is so cheery now!". Lather, rinse, repeat for 100 tedious minutes. A child could write that plot. Just because Colin Firth gives it some life with a good performance doesn't mean the screenplay was any good to start with - truly good or great actors could make a Cannonball Run script written by Hal Needham seem subtle and intelligent with the right delivery.

karmajuice

#27 Post by karmajuice » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:08 pm

I guess I'm stuck somewhere in the middle here. My initial impressions were good, but as soon as the movie ended my regard for it started to decline. The hue shifts I liked at first -- they were so slight they were only just perceptible. But soon they became grossly overused and redundant. The editing really struck a chord in a few instances, especially when Firth goes to visit Moore for drinks, and the film cuts to the memory of him running to her door in the rain, crying; in a few seconds it speaks volumes about their relationship and what he thinks of her. Unfortunately the technique is inconsistent. This is an issue I had with much of the film -- while Ford may "steal from the best", I don't believe for an instant that he fully digests these techniques and influences into a distinctive and consistent whole.

At the same time, I also don't really buy into the notion that, "Tom Ford should stick to fashion design, because obviously he's incapable of creating truly meaningful art". I think the film is a far cry from perfection, or even greatness, but Ford is competent and occasionally compelling, and I think he could improve as a filmmaker if he kept with it. At least it's better than the other gay prestige flicks of recent years.

As for the content of the story, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, the performances are good and carry some genuine emotional weight. On the other, the presentation is problematic and rather simple. Everyone in the film -- everyone, including the little girl who brightens his day -- is obnoxiously beautiful. At some point it starts to feel like a sort of parody. I'm not entirely sure I buy into the second half, the night of fun and renewal with the student, but I'm not as eager to dismiss it, either. I know for a fact that my day improves considerably if I'm around an attractive person who is both fun and clearly interested in me. You can call that simple-minded and shallow if you want, but it doesn't make that emotional impact any less real. After all, this boy isn't the be-all end-all of his salvation. He's merely a bright sign that things aren't as bleak as he feels they are.

I also don't think the ending has much to do with irony. The ending reminded me very much of In Bruges. Obviously the two films are very different, but they both use unexpected deaths (or the possibility of death) to underline the significance of a renewed interest in life. Whether the film pulls that off is debatable -- I think In Bruges uses the conceit much more effectively -- but I think brushing it off as irony is wrong-headed.

chizbooga

#28 Post by chizbooga » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:22 pm

all in all, i was kind of disappointed by this. it seems like it might go somewhere interesting, especially with the scenes with julianne moore, but the ending was really pretty lame

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#29 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 am

What did you think of this film, Michael?

Michael

#30 Post by Michael » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:28 am

mfunk9786 wrote:What did you think of this film, Michael?
I caught it very late last night and it's still fizzing in the back of my mind. I still feel the need for another visitation before I can say further about it because my viewing was very frustrating.

Here we have another sad gay guy moping through life with a gun in his reach. When I first saw the gun which was very early in the film, my mind went: OH NO, not another gay suicide. It shut me down right there which is most likely why I couldn’t go in the flow further with the rest of the film. I am so over self-pitying gay or homosexual films, whatever. BUT I will give it another shot this weekend.

Gorgeous set designs. Colin Firth simply magnificent. The editing drove me nuts.

Matt prefers this over Milk as he wrote here earlier but I disagree. No matter how many times I watch Milk, I always walk away a sob mess not from the sadness of Milk's assassination but from all the love and joy overwhelming the last few scenes - the candlelight vigil and beyond, leaving me feeling more alive as a gay person. I can't think of another American film that does that, except Van Sant's other films. Van Sant still reigns America’s gay cinema (does anyone find it hard to believe Mala Noche was made in 1985 - 25 years ago?!)

Michael

#31 Post by Michael » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:07 am

I was already in a pissy mood when I watched the film the other night and the film made me feel worse. However, after being away on a business trip for a week, my hubby came home tonight. We watched the film together tonight. Wow, that viewing experience was utterly different from the previous night. Thanks to him returning home safely, I became happy and prepared to give the film another chance.

This has to be saddest film we have ever seen. We wept and wept throughout the film. After the film ended, I took my dog out for a walk, thinking: what if? What if that happened to me if my hubby never made home. We discussed briefly but there is no doubt we will continue the discussion over our breakfast tomorrow morning. We absolutely LOVE it that there is no gay issue (closet, homophobia, etc) brought up in the film. Simply a man wandering through the fog of grief over the death of his love. My hubby brought up an interesting (spiritual / Buddhist?) view on why those gorgeous guys - the student and the hustler -came to George. His lover Jim sent them to him as an interference to his suicide planning and finally the student to bring the enlightenment and peace to George on that last night.

Discuss more later.