We Are the Best! (Lukas Moodysson, 2013)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Zot!

Re: We Are the Best! (Lukas Moodysson, 2013)

#26 Post by Zot! » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:27 pm

Looks like Repo Man.
swo17 wrote:This is already readily available in 1080p for people who are the best. And it's an absolute charmer.
Where? I still see no sign of this in English territories....but then I'm not that great.

Kauno

#27 Post by Kauno » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:38 pm

Ingen/keine/no English subtitles. I found the movie entertaining and funny, but that is all. Perhaps too close to the bone.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Kauno on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Zot! wrote:
swo17 wrote:This is already readily available in 1080p for people who are the best. And it's an absolute charmer.
Where? I still see no sign of this in English territories....but then I'm not that great.
Swo is referring to back channels, where the aforementioned Blu-ray has been fan-subbed for those who couldn't wait. I don't feel guilty about it since I'll be buying this as soon as humanly possible

Great review from the Guardian, with an opening line I wholeheartedly co-sign:
When was the last time you left a cinema wanting to hug everyone involved in the film you just watched? Plenty of movies amuse and entertain, many more give us an insight into an unfamiliar world. But very few generate the swell of audience goodwill that has followed Swedish director Lukas Moodysson's exuberant portrait of 1980s teen rebellion, We Are The Best!

yann

#31 Post by yann » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Great review from the Guardian, with an opening line I wholeheartedly co-sign
It's actually an advertorial - The Guardian is heavily into "native advertising" these days, which is a shame.

But I'm looking forward to the film anyway.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Yikes, you're right! :oops: What's next, the revelation that I didn't put an actual tiger in my tank earlier today?

Stephen.C

#33 Post by Stephen.C » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Saw this recently and have to say it's good to have the laid back and less preachy Moodysson back, I left the screening with a huge smile, it's his most joyous film to date as I can't say that was a dark or downbeat moment in this film. Apart from the odd use of the C word and F word, it's rather a sweet uplifting film. I have a very high opinion of Show me Love and Together, they are in my top 50 films of all time. Admired Lilya 4 Ever for bringing up a serious matter on screen but wasn't blown away by it like many were, found it very preachy in parts. A Hole in the Heart I think is a good film but is probably his most overlooked film during his fallow period. Container is a bit of artistic folly for Moodysson to preach. Mammoth was a slight return to form but with a top cast it still felt preachy in parts.

First the performances from the three leads are great especially Mira Grosin as Klara, the mohawk bass playing lead singer,looking to rebel but finding she can't rebel agaisn't much. Grosin makes her a wild, confident, all mouth but a big heart especially for her friends. Mira Barkhammar as Bobo, based on Lukas's wife Coco who's Novel the film is based on, is the heart of the film and she has a few of the more touching moments in the film. Liv Lemoyne as Hedvig as the guitar playing Christian, probably has the least interesting role out of the three girls but that doesn't mean she doesn't hold her own and she gives a touching performance of a girl just looking for friends.

Some of my favourite scenes
SpoilerShow
The Scene on the roof with the snow is probably one of Moodysson's most visual stunning shot's he's had in his movies, The songs such as "Hate The Sport" and "Brezhnev and Reagan. *beep* off!" are fun, any scene with Klara's dad and his clarinet are really well done, The girls getting drunk at Klara's brother's party, Klara trying to turn Hedvig's younger sister away from the path of god (Hedvig's young sister is played by lukas young daughter), The begging scene in the subway, The scenes between the girls and the heavy metal act and the youth club workers are funny and the ending scene leading to a riot is a great ending
I don't know if I can put it ahead of Show me Love or Together just yet, need to rewatch it on DVD when it comes out. But I can say it's his funniest and most joyous film to date without a doubt. Most certainly his best film since Together. I think it be sadly ignored and lost in the mix come the end of year polls, pity as it's one of my favourites so far this year.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#34 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 12, 2014 1:36 pm

From Moodysson's Tumblr
cities with the most positive reactions to “we are the best!” (journalists + audience) (quality, not quantity) (my own subjective experience):

1. venice, 2. london, 3. tokyo, 4. new york, 5, reykjavik, 6. toronto.

cities with the least positive reactions (same criteria as above):

1. paris, 2. gothenburg, 3. oslo, 4. stockholm, 5. amsterdam.
Interesting that he didn't think it went over all that well in the "hometown" venues

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#35 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon May 12, 2014 1:56 pm

I saw the preview -- and am interested in seeing this. Sort of had the vibe of some recent Japanese rock-related movies.

GaryC

#36 Post by GaryC » Mon May 12, 2014 6:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:From Moodysson's Tumblr
cities with the most positive reactions to “we are the best!” (journalists + audience) (quality, not quantity) (my own subjective experience):

1. venice, 2. london, 3. tokyo, 4. new york, 5, reykjavik, 6. toronto.

cities with the least positive reactions (same criteria as above):

1. paris, 2. gothenburg, 3. oslo, 4. stockholm, 5. amsterdam.
Interesting that he didn't think it went over all that well in the "hometown" venues
That said, it looks like it completely died on its face in the UK and had pretty much closed after a week - surprising as reviews and word of mouth seemed strong. I was away when it opened (Easter weekend) and because it wasn't playing any more when I was able to see it, I haven't yet.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#37 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon May 12, 2014 9:25 pm

This will supposedly arrive near here in mid-June -- I will assume it is going to be a one-weeker, and not take any chances.

Zot!

#39 Post by Zot! » Fri May 30, 2014 12:49 pm

His populist sentiments are not surprising...but complaining that Se7en was too gloomy seems a serious case of the pot calling the kettle black.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 31, 2014 10:32 pm

The real life inspirations behind the comic/film:

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#41 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:15 pm

This finally made it to Boston -- and our family (slightly attenuated -- as only one son went with us) found this just as wonderful as promised by some of the early viewers here. All three of the novice actresses were excellent in their parts. Sadly, the audience (on a Sunday night) was surprisingly thin -- despite really good reviews here in Boston.

Our son commented -- why don't American movies have kids as believable as the ones in foreign films. My wife asked when did Hollywood create the not-very-believable Hollywood kid we typically suffer from today? I unfortunately had no answer at hand to either question.

I would note that Linda Linda Linda is still my favorite "girl punk rock film" -- but We Are the Best comes pretty close.

StevenJ0001

#42 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:50 pm

domino harvey wrote:The real life inspirations behind the comic/film:

Wow, where did those come from? Would love to know more about the origins of this story. I absolutely loved the film.
Michael Kerpan wrote:...Our son commented -- why don't American movies have kids as believable as the ones in foreign films. My wife asked when did Hollywood create the not-very-believable Hollywood kid we typically suffer from today? I unfortunately had no answer at hand to either question...
The three lead performances in this movie are so perfect, it's almost startling--and yes, so antithetical to most mainstream Hollywood children/teenagers on screen.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:55 pm

StevenJ0001 wrote:Wow, where did those come from? Would love to know more about the origins of this story. I absolutely loved the film.
Coco Moodysson wrote a graphic novel (as far as I know, it has not been translated into English) about her time as a punk rock girl which her husband then adapted into a film of the same name. The above picset is from Moodysson's Tumblr, the girl with glasses (Bobo.... Coco...) is his wife posing with other inspirations for the comic and therefore the film

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#44 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Sadly this appears to have disappeared from Boston after just one week.

StevenJ0001

#45 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:
StevenJ0001 wrote:Wow, where did those come from? Would love to know more about the origins of this story. I absolutely loved the film.
Coco Moodysson wrote a graphic novel (as far as I know, it has not been translated into English) about her time as a punk rock girl which her husband then adapted into a film of the same name. The above picset is from Moodysson's Tumblr, the girl with glasses (Bobo.... Coco...) is his wife posing with other inspirations for the comic and therefore the film
Interesting, thanks!
Michael Kerpan wrote:Sadly this appears to have disappeared from Boston after just one week.
Yep, I believe it played in Los Angeles for one week only also. I would have thought it would have more general appeal. So glad I caught it.

Blu-ray and DVD coming on Sep. 23 according to this.

Calvin

#46 Post by Calvin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:27 am

The UK DVD is out next month and it looks like there won't be a Blu-Ray

Jeff

#47 Post by Jeff » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Sadly this appears to have disappeared from Boston after just one week.
The Denver run is only scheduled for a week too, and based on the fact that there were only two other people in the theater with me today, I don't see it getting extended. I think Magnolia should be adding it to their OnDemand lineup soon.

The movie every bit as exuberant and charming as advertised. There's only a jangly skeleton of a plot, the meat of the film coming from three wonderful performances which are primarily notable for not really feeling like performances at all. The three girls inhabit these roles so naturally, capturing the petty dramas that don't feel petty to them and all the naive political rebellion a 13-year-old can muster. Moodysson conveys better than anyone what it feels like to be an adolescent. This is some of his very best work.

LittleFerret

#48 Post by LittleFerret » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:58 pm

They already put it on iTunes.

Jeff

#49 Post by Jeff » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:23 pm

There's a nice interview with Moodysson here. I especially enjoyed learning this:
A nice touch is that Matte Wiberg and Johan Liljemark, the two youth recreation leaders, are actually members of the band Sabotage, who are part of the story. Brezjnev Reagan Fuck Off, the song we hear in the film, is their song. Johan had a one-week relationship with Coco when they were thirteen, something that greatly amused Mira and Mira, who did their best to make me jealous of the fact.
I'm just bummed that "Brezhnev Reagan Fuck Off" isn't eligible for Best Original Song.

Zot!

#50 Post by Zot! » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Honestly what the fuck kind of bizarre release is this. It was scheduled to play Chicago on the 27th, and now that engagment has dropped off. It's playing Ooltewah, TN, but not Chicago? ARRRRGH!