Youth (Paolo Sorrentino, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
FrauBlucher

Youth (Paolo Sorrentino, 2015)

#1 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:46 pm

Youth from Paolo Sorrentino. I'm looking forward to this.

Ribs

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#2 Post by Ribs » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Well, it certainly looks like The Great Beauty. I'd hoped for something a bit more removed from what he's done given it's got the cast that'll probably get it a somewhat larger mainstream appeal but nope seems like it's mostly the same.

TMDaines

#3 Post by TMDaines » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:27 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Youth from Paolo Sorrentino. I'm looking forward to this.
... and Michael Caine as Toni Servillo.

ellipsis7

Re: 702 The Great Beauty

#4 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:23 am

We shall see tomorrow if it makes the Cannes 2015 Selection, but herewith the first trailer for Sorrentino's follow up to LA GRANDE BELLEZZA, titled YOUTH it is on this first evidence very much in the same mold (although English language), with Michael Caine doing a convincing Toni Servillo/Jep Gampardella complete with designer glasses & slicked back grey mane... Judge for yourself... The Italian job?...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Youth (Paolo Sorrentino, 2015)

#5 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:40 pm

FrauBlucher

#6 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

If Criterion gets the rights, this HAS to be the cover.

Ribs

#7 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:39 pm

Fox Searchlight picked this up, which bodes well for awards season but means that a Criterion release is borderline impossible, at least for the next decade (unless Sorrentino has a Wes Anderson clause saying that Criterion gets dibs).

Cronenfly

#8 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:54 am

I don't know, that poster feels like a bit of a missed opportunity to ressurect Keitel's long-lost immodesty, or at least to provide a countershot that gives due highlight to the leads' sagging male flesh.

FrauBlucher

#9 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:50 pm

Luke M

#10 Post by Luke M » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:32 am

Thematically, the poster and the trailer seem miles apart.

TMDaines

#11 Post by TMDaines » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:09 pm

Ergh... I had high expectations for this given I generally love Sorrentino and this recently was named Best Film at the European Film Awards, but this was a big disappointment. It completely lacked that trademark Sorrentino style of blending image and sound into seducing montages. It was all a bit stale, even with the infamous nude pool scene. By my reckoning both of Sorrentino's English language efforts have been his weakest.

ellipsis7

#12 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:26 am

The scene where Michael Caine conducts the cows (il Maestro e le mucche) on the mountainside is simply sublime...

TMDaines

#13 Post by TMDaines » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:54 am

Really? I was cringing.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#14 Post by lacritfan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:14 pm

I really liked Youth, especially the pacing (for the most part) and the gorgeous images. There were some nice moments in the Michael Caine-Rachel Weisz father-daughter relationship/back story and the unlikely Caine-Keitel pairing as old friends was fun to watch.

Have to say Jane Fonda's scene/cameo totally derailed the movie and was not only over the top but unnecessary. There's also a scene
SpoilerShow
where Harvey Keitel's director character sees his past leading ladies on a hillside that seemed out of place.
And
SpoilerShow
the scenes where Paul Dano dressed up as Hitler and comingled with the guests? What the hell...
TMDaines wrote:By my reckoning both of Sorrentino's English language efforts have been his weakest.
I have wondered if I might have enjoyed it more if it was an all Italian cast and whether the British/American actors were bit of a distraction to me.
I've also wondered if I enjoyed it so much because it was like taking a mini vacation I could never afford.

Jack Phillips

#15 Post by Jack Phillips » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:53 pm

The ending was cribbed from one much better done, the finale of Kieslowski's Three Colors: Blue.

TMDaines

#16 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:50 am

The Keitel hilltop women scene seemed like a parody of Fellini: almost French & Saunders-esque.

flyonthewall2983

#18 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:01 am

Just saw this. Not sure what to say, except that I appreciated it's cover of Yes' "Onward". Especially poignant as it's writer, Chris Squire, passed away last year.

Roger Ryan

#19 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:08 am

If Sorrentino's previous film was a tip-of-the-hat to La Dolce Vita, Youth seems preoccupied with Fellini's own follow-up of . I seem to remember someone else pointing this out on the forum, but the numerous references to the earlier film struck me as overt when I watched Sorrentino's latest: the hotel/spa location with the images of guests dressed in towels queued in lines, the oppressive hallways and elevators, the early dream sequence where Caine's character is drowning (standing in for the Fellini scene of Mastroianni's character being trapped in the car), and the director's fantasy encounter with all of his leading ladies (a light nod to the long Fellini sequence of Mastroianni's character being coddled and chastised by the women in his life). The overall circus atmosphere is a given, right? I would say Sorrentino took the Guido Anselmi character from and split him into the three characters played by Caine, Keitel and Dano (but Caine got to wear the glasses).

That's not to say that I didn't like Youth, but the strongest moments were the simplest ones: the young boy encountering the composer who wrote the music he is attempting to play; the young girl who fondly recalls an obscure role played by the film actor and so on. The gallery of grotesques and magic realism tipped the film into heavy-handedness when the subtler story points were more effective.