Sully (Clint Eastwood, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Professor Wagstaff

Sully (Clint Eastwood, 2016)

#1 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Clint Eastwood's Sully

Ribs

Re: The Films of 2016

#2 Post by Ribs » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Kind of shocked and rattled at how morose Sully is; it's incredibly light on levity, and is mostly just an exercise in misery (by design, I suppose). It wasn't exactly the hope-filled hero worship thing I was expecting, more similar to Before the Devil Knows You're Dead or Foxcatcher in its tone. It's really pretty good, I think, but it's not exactly a great time at the movies.

(And as great as he obviously is when they do the inevitable real-footage-of-real-Sully at the end I couldn't help but think it was Jeff Goldblum's part to play, but I think that about everything)

flyonthewall2983

Re: The Films of 2016

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:34 pm

I would disagree to how morose it is, at least compared to some of Eastwood's more recent work. The last movie I'd seen of his was J. Edgar which was utterly grim from what I remember. The only levity I took from it was watching my homophobic brother realize the subject of the movie was gay.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Sully (Clint Eastwood, 2016)

#4 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:51 pm

As a study of a real-life character made famous by acts of heroism that has to navigate its way around the many hagiographic pitfalls inherent in its material, Sully largely succeeds where American Sniper almost entirely failed. Where Eastwood's prior effort only superficially gave Bradley Cooper's Chris Kyle any real human shading or self-doubt (through no fault of Cooper's own), Tom Hanks' Sully is established from the opening moments of the film as a more recognizably human character, whose decency and professional competence is apparent, but whose uncertainty, anxiety, and weariness are given just as much weight by both script and director.

Todd Komarnicki's script wisely doles out the complete details of its central events sparingly -
SpoilerShow
and even misleadingly, in the disturbingly rendered dreams and visions showing what might have happened had Sully chosen unwisely
- across the film, and the depiction of the unheralded people who helped in the rescue of the members of the not-quite-doomed flight nicely undermines the lone hero trope that could have been unbearable.

The film is far from perfect, with Eastwood too overtly deploying the stereotype of dastardly bureaucrats just begging for righteous comeuppance (in the form of the NTSB review board), and the film's ending is notably abrupt and lacking in emotional payoff. Still, this is a much more taut, tense, and compelling film than I anticipated - currently just outside my top ten for the year - and after the shit I piled onto American Sniper, I was glad to genuinely enjoy an Eastwood film.

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:31 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:with Eastwood too overtly deploying the stereotype of dastardly bureaucrats just begging for righteous comeuppance (in the form of the NTSB review board)
"Dastardly" isn't the word I would use in this case, but I think it's funny how this really has become a theme over Clint's career going back to the Dirty Harry movies where bureaucracy is just another obstacle for the hero to overcome.

whaleallright

#6 Post by whaleallright » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:20 pm

That's broadly consonant with Eastwood's politics (or at least, how he likely understands his politics).

I thought the obviously telescoped melodrama of the hearing was the screenplay's weakest aspect (and the broadness of the portrayals of the side characters the direction's biggest fault), but I actually enjoyed the anticlimax of Aaron Eckhardt's rimshot closing line. The modesty of the moment fit the way the characters are portrayed, as unpretentious professionals simply seeking to demonstrate that they did the best job they could.

aox

#7 Post by aox » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:23 am

DarkImbecile wrote:As a study of a real-life character made famous by acts of heroism that has to navigate its way around the many hagiographic pitfalls inherent in its material, Sully largely succeeds where American Sniper almost entirely failed.
Completely agree. American Sniper was borderline offensive to me in its politics. I also don't like the majority of Eastwood's directing outlets. However, this film shocked me at how he was able to make a mountain out of a molehill. There really isn't much of a story here, and the film is completely contrived, but I found it strangely compelling. I also thought the craft was top in its approach of showing the crash three times, but each time giving the viewer more information and each time making it more compelling.

Hanks was great.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#8 Post by barryconvex » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:56 am

Jeez, what a snoozefest this was. Sully saves the day then has bad dreams about almost blowing it. Laura Linney is on hand to say "i love you" to him a dozen or so times. No drama, no tension, no comedy, no nothing. And most importantly, no insight into this man's character. I had a similar reaction to Hanks' previous movie, Bridge Of Spies but Spielberg's film is like Raging Bull compared to this lifeless slog. This movie has no right to exist.

Ribs

#10 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:32 am

Sounds like somebody's trying to sully them

hearthesilence

#11 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:10 pm

Kind of fitting coming from a libertarian filmmaker, though the sources in the article strongly suggest that the producer, Tim Moore, was the one who caused them to cross the line.

flyonthewall2983

#12 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Wasn't Mnuchin involved with this or am I thinking of something else?

hearthesilence

#13 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:36 pm

He's listed as an executive producer, possibly for getting them funding - he may not have had anything to do with the production accounting.

aox

#14 Post by aox » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:43 pm

That's interesting. In this context and semi-related, I recently learned that Anthony Scaramucci (co-)produced the new HBO film, Paterno.

flyonthewall2983

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Not too late for him to get his name on the Freddie Mercury bio-pic