Dolor y gloria [Pain and Glory] (Pedro Almodóvar, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Dolor y gloria [Pain and Glory] (Pedro Almodóvar, 2019)

#26 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:49 am

No Criterion for this one, Sony will be releasing it themselves next month on Blu-ray

Finch

#27 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:35 pm

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#28 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:30 pm

I'll just echo what everyone else has said about this lovely film and its masterful observations of memory, aging, art, and loneliness. The experience of watching it felt like dozing in a warm, soothing bath and slipping in and out of loosely connected dreams before awaking refreshed and content; considering I went in last night wired from reports of missiles flying, seeing a film this personal, generous, and humane was about the most psychologically calming experience I could have hoped for.

To add to all the justifiably unanimous praise for the noteworthy final shot and sexual awakening scene, I'd also emphasize two moments that haven't been singled out as much here:
SpoilerShow
The reunion between Salvador and Federico was for me the emotional crux of the film, and the rollercoaster of disappointment and hope that plays over Salvador's face as his former lover mentions his wife and children, his divorce, and then his current (female) partner is when Banderas' performance elevated from merely excellent to one of the two or three best I've seen this year.

Similarly, the scene on the balcony when Salvador's mother chides him for not taking her in after his father died, and he responds by apologizing for failing her by being who he is was wonderfully written and performed; a brief but crystalline representation of family members whose love only imperfectly fills the space between them, talking past each other and subtly saying something that the other may or may not be fully understanding.
For these moments and many others, this is the best performance of Banderas' that I've ever seen — soulful, physical, and appropriately mannered, yet never to the detriment of letting viewers feel tuned into his character — and now I'll be sorely disappointed if he isn't at least nominated for Best Actor. My coverage of Almodóvar's filmography is unfortunately spottier than it should be outside of his consensus classics, but if he's made a film more delicate and carefully observed than this one, I'd love to see it.

therewillbeblus

#29 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:34 pm

Lovely appreciation, DI - those scenes you point out are as good examples as any of Almodóvar's validating approach toward humanity in not trying to explain or forcefully show but to feel it and hold both the pain and wonders together. There are so few people who can or want to accept this complicated melting pot of perspective and to exhibit it on the screen with humility is another skill altogether.