Solo (Ron Howard, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Luke M

Re: Star Wars Franchise (1977-∞)

#201 Post by Luke M » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:19 am

’Star Wars’ Spinoff Films on Obi-Wan and Boba Fett Put on Hold Following Bad ‘Solo’ Box Office — Report

I kinda like the idea of Disney killing Star Wars because of their vile, rabid fan base.

Big Ben

#202 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:26 am

They're taking time off to most likely fine tune scripts and so forth so they don't repeat Solo's box office performance. This has to do with money not fans. Disney/Lucasfilm would release footage of an amorous baboon in a Jedi outfit if they knew they could get away with it.

What A Disgrace

#203 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:30 pm

With regards to Solo's box office failure in particular, I think it has less to do with any sort of fatigue with Star Wars (a subject which is often brought up as an explanation), and more to do with the fact that the film is devoted to Han Solo - a single character who, unlike the Marvel films's roster of magicians, psychics, Black Panthers and deities, does not, on its own, derive as much audience intrigue and excitement as the aura and mythos of the SW franchise does on its own. And it was that very character - more than the franchise itself - that the movie was sold on. Audiences looked at "Han Solo the Movie", and were either turned off or disinterested by a story which seemed comparatively light, potentially dumpy and small in scale and scope (something which isn't considered very Star Wars-y), and a character who did not have a cool costume or super powers, or save the world, getting his own movie. So it sold about as much as a small scale movie whose only big draw was "its Star Wars related" would sell on its own - which would have been okay if the movie had a budget of, say, $50 million, and not five times as much and then some. Rogue One, meanwhile, appealed directly to the audience's curiosity, promising a large scale, action packed endeavor of weight, with new characters whose natures and outcomes were not known to us and, of course, they never ceased to remind people that it was S T A R W A R S, in suitable glory, as far as advertisement went.

This is just a personal feeling, based on only two movies and their respective success, but I'm expecting all other
SpoilerShow
dead, probably all of them
character-based Star Wars side-stories to do similarly middling-to-poor business, and I think they should instead focus on big concept movies, because that one about how they stole the Death Star plans worked out to a billion dollars worldwide and the 22nd highest selling Blu-ray in the US market (a little above the original freaking trilogy).