The Power of Nightmares (Adam Curtis, 2004)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Galen Young

#1 Post by Galen Young » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:46 pm

The amazingly dense and entertaining documentary series by filmmaker Adam Curtis The Power of Nightmares, that aired on the BBC last year is now available as a free, legal download at Internet Archive. The image quality of MPEG2 files when burned to DVD looks great. If you're even the tiniest bit interested in the origins of the so-called "War on Terror", this is the place to start. Makes the perfect holiday gift! Knowledge is power...

The Power of Nightmares

Anonymous

#2 Post by Anonymous » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:36 pm

The Power of Nightmares is a very good & provocative film. If you get a chance/haven't seen it, The Century Of The Self by Curtis is also very good.

Have heard that there is "no chance" that either film will be released on DVD due to rights, but then, I heard the same thing about Hollywood, & that, supposedly, is going to be released this year.

Tim

Galen Young

#3 Post by Galen Young » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:11 pm

TimJS wrote:If you get a chance/haven't seen it, The Century Of The Self by Curtis is also very good.
The Century of Self is great! I loved it. Have only gotten to see a crappy copy from a VHS source (up on Internet Archive in four parts: 1, 2, 3, 4) but the audio is fine. A friend in NYC told me it had a short theatrical run there last year; it's criminal programs this smart will never play on American television. It's actually a little scarier than Nightmares I think. Was very pleased to find one of Edward Bernays books back in print recently at an afforadable price: Propaganda. Have got to find cheap copies of Public Relations and Engineering of Consent next...

Murasaki53

#4 Post by Murasaki53 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:19 am

Curtis' new work (The Trap - What Happened to our Dreams of Freedom) is exceptional and can be viewed here.

I really would urge anyone with an interest in documentary films to have a look at this (especially if you live outside the UK). Years from now Curtis is certain to be revered as one of the greats in this category.

Galen Young

#5 Post by Galen Young » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:41 am

Wow, thanks for the link! Watched the first episode so far, frightening and brilliant. Curtis manages to create a joyous sense of the hopelessness of human reality and why can't I wipe this idiotic grin off my face while watching it... It would be great if this series showed up as mpegs on archive.org to burn to DVD. We will never see this on American television.