Three... Extremes (Chan/Miike/Park, 2004)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Michael

#1 Post by Michael » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:33 am

Blame on Three...Extremes for ruining my night of sleep. Three...Extremes is a great, great experience. The best way I could describe it is that it's like the Theater of Horror, not distant from the best of Argento. What is the French term for that type of theater? It totally escapes me at this moment but I know that it starts with the letter "G".

The creepiness factor of each short was way beyond my expectation. It's impossible to pick out a favorite since each one is so beautifully made. All three shorts could be the directors' best works. Some of the best pieces of horror I've ever experienced and that's saying a lot because horror is one of my favorite genres. Each short carries a burden of brilliant, profound psychology and meaning that threw me off guard at first.

I can't finish this without saying how gorgeous and perfect the cinematography for each short is. Dumplings, especially. Box captures the aura faintly like Argento and Lynch but it's still pure Miike. The film's last shot is oh-my-god perfect but disturbs the hell out of me. I need to watch Cut again.. I still feel like I missed something in it especially the "surprise twist" in the end if there is really one. It's sort of like Oldboy but more effective I think. Is this where Saw got the idea from?

I'm interested in learning what others have to say about Three... Extremes.

jesus the mexican boi

#2 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:40 am

Grand Guignol?

Michael

#3 Post by Michael » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:42 am

Yes! That's it. Thanks, jesus!

Lino

#4 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:45 am

Michael wrote:The creepiness factor of each short was way beyond my expectation. It's impossible to pick out a favorite since each one is so beautifully made. All three shorts could be the directors' best works. Some of the best pieces of horror I've ever experienced and that's saying a lot because horror is one of my favorite genres. Each short carries a burden of brilliant, profound psychology and meaning that threw me off guard at first.
Precisely. I had the good fortune of seeing it last week on the big screen and each segment had me on my knees at how fantastic they all were. It's really quite impossible for me right now too to name a favorite episode because of how brilliantly crafted they are and not counting the fact that each one creeped me out big time and left me really disturbed.

It's kind of like seeing one genius piece of filmmaking after another - you're left speechless, grateful, in awe, and with your mind reeling for hours. However, like you Michael, I need to see CUT one more time because something eluded me at the end. Maybe that was the whole point.

Grimfarrow

#5 Post by Grimfarrow » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:15 pm

You should see the feature-length version of DUMPLINGS then.

Lino

#6 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:34 pm

Grimfarrow wrote:You should see the feature-length version of DUMPLINGS then.
I know! Finally we both agree on something! :wink: The extended version of Dumplings is even better than the shorter one. And that's saying something because the latter is terrific in its own right.

Michael

#7 Post by Michael » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:35 pm

No kidding! Can you basically detail the differences between the two versions? Which one is better or more effective? I really loved Ling Bai's presence in Dumplings. Great fun to watch. What is your opinion of Three... Extremes, Grimfarrow?

Annie Mall, is there a DVD of the full-length Dumplings that you can recommend?

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:40 pm

Michael wrote:No kidding! Can you basically detail the differences between the two versions? Which one is better or more effective?
Both of them are pretty effective in their own rights but as I was watching the extended version and noticing the differences (mostly at the beginning and at the end - I don't want to spoil it too much for you), the overall end result was much more satisfying when compared to the shorter version. And THAT was the real surprise for me because I was dreading that it would be very boring to see the same story with simply a longer length of running time. Boy, was I wrong!

There is a US DVD out at the moment I believe with the longer version of Dumplings on the bonus disc. Buy it blind!

Michael

#9 Post by Michael » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:48 pm

Great! Netflix sent me only the first disc so I had no idea that the second disc has the full length version. I will be going to pick up the DVD today.

But what's this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EHQ7ZQ/
Last edited by Michael on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lino

#10 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:02 pm

That's the third instalment of the Three series of films. First one was Three, I believe; then, Three...Extremes and now Three...Extremes II.

filmghost

#11 Post by filmghost » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:29 pm

Annie Mall wrote:That's the third instalment of the Three series of films. First one was Three, I believe; then, Three...Extremes and now Three...Extremes II.
Nope. From what I found Three Extremes II is just Three getting a somehow disorienting DVD release for american audiences. Something like Profondo Rosso renamed Suspiria II to get a USA release... :shock:

Antoine Doinel

#12 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:59 pm

I liked 3 Extremes okay, and I too had the pleasure of seeing it on the big screen, but I thought Dumplings was the weakest one of the lot. I felt that by giving away the "twist" so early on in the short it really dimished any tension it could've had. It looked great, but didn't do much for me.

I thought Takashi Miike's Box was the best one out of the three. A wonderful departure, eerie, ethereal and as the last shot reveals (SPOILER), a mystery inside a dream. It's like something Lynch might do but with enough of Miike's unique stamp. I loved it.

Park Chan-wook's Cut was okay, but a little too self-referential for my taste. I kept feeling like there was a massive inside joke I was missing out on.

marty

#13 Post by marty » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:02 pm

The feature-length of Dumplings is much better than the short. I know an Australian distributor has the rights to this version so there should be an R4 release some time this year.

Grimfarrow

#14 Post by Grimfarrow » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:40 am

Michael wrote:What is your opinion of Three... Extremes, Grimfarrow?
I like the full-length DUMPLINGS more, but as a horror omnibus it certainly does its job. I think Park Chan-wook's contribution is the weakest of the three though.

Lino

#15 Post by Lino » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:21 am

Three Extremes 2 review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22110
Conclusion: Well, in terms of extras, it is disappointing Lions Gate didn't put as much effort into the release of Three as they did Three Extremes, but at least buyers/renters will get good audio and visual quality. Like nearly all anthology films, some stories work better than others, but two out of three ain't bad. The first story is okay, the second a disaster, and the third is memorable, giving the cumulative effect of seeing a fair film. Asian horror fans should certainly consider picking it up either as a purchase or a solid weekend rental.