Grindhouse (Tarantino/Rodriguez, 2007)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
colinr0380

#451 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:56 am

Jack Phillips wrote:
colinr0380 wrote: At least Planet Terror felt more faithful to its sources than Death Proof
Depends what you mean by that. While re-watching my Planet Terror DVD recently, I was reminded by several shots of similar set-ups in John Carpenter films, especially Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape From New York. Then, on the audio commentary, Rodriguez admits that he wasn't really doing a 70s movie, he was doing an 80s film.

Anyway, I'd agree that PT is more faithful to Carpenter than DP is to, say, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry.
True - but if he was trying to make the 'lost John Carpenter film' from the early 80s as he states in his commentary then I think he completely failed - no John Carpenter film would ever be so incoherent as Planet Terror. That is why I'd ignore all Rodriguez's wishful thinking and bracket it with the 80s Italian films, which it seems closer to whether intentional or not. However I still don't think Planet Terror reaches the craziness of something like Nightmare City or Contamination even if it matches their 'anything goes' approach to an infected rampage!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrewReiber

#452 Post by DrewReiber » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:05 am

colinr0380 wrote:However I still don't think Planet Terror reaches the craziness of something like Nightmare City
And thank god for that!
Antoine Doinel wrote:Perhaps you're right domino. It's just as the films have gone overseas virtually nothing has been heard of in terms of discussion or promotion of Planet Terror. It may be happening but I haven't seen it.
It was promoted at the same time Death Proof was. Just about all the UK magazines I saw mentioned both, even if they gave more attention to panderous Tarantino worship.

colinr0380

#453 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:02 pm

Here is a classic Mark Kermode rant about Death Proof!

kaujot

#454 Post by kaujot » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:26 pm

It's a dead link.

patrick

#455 Post by patrick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:16 pm

I've just heard an interesting rumor - Larry Bishop's Hellride (produced by Tarantino; he was also supposed to be acting in it but dropped out) is going to be presented under the "Grindhouse Presents..." banner.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#456 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:52 am

If you simply must own a six-disc edition of Grindhouse, then feast your peepers on this
[quote="translation"]â—‹DISC1:『デス・プルーフã€

Jack Phillips

#457 Post by Jack Phillips » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:13 am

More to the point, it's the only way at present to get the theatrical cut (with all the trailers) on DVD.

Thanks for the heads-up. I just checked amazon.co.jp and they are selling it for 600 yen cheaper. Waiting until March 21, though, is gonna be hard . . .

DrewReiber

#458 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:09 am

More evidence that Grindhouse may not be dead after all....

Antoine Doinel

#459 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:01 pm

I decided to finally watch Planet Terror from my small kevyip pile last night and I had to turn it off halfway through. I was suprised at how long and dull it plays at home. The first act takes so long to get going that I didn't even to make it to the part where McGowan gets her new leg. Actually, a couple of weeks I made another attempt to watch it but didn't make it past the Machete trailer (I skipped it this time around). I'll try and give the second half of the film another whirl but this may be up on the trading block soon.

I popped in the extras and watched Rodriguez's always fun 10-Minute-Film-School and had to chuckle at the end when he mentions the Film School he's shot for the "forthcoming 2-disc Grindhouse DVD set" that will include his authentic Texas BBQ recipes. I'll believe that, when Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair sees the light of day.

Floyd

#460 Post by Floyd » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:54 am

I decided to also journey to the kevyip and watched Death Proof. What to me seems to be the biggest downfall and what probably others have said is that Tarantino has these amateur actors or people he decides are good choices to read this dialogue of his and they all deliver it so stiff and seem confused on how to act it out. By clearly never allowing any improvisation or change of dialogue with these amateurs it seems to force the whole thing to be uninteresting and rather dull. If you are going to put this much dialogue on actors it'd be nice if they seemed just mildly comfortable doing it. Granted even if they were comfortable would this droning perceived cool dialogue be mildly interesting? Probably not but Sam Jackson made it work before and made it worth watching.
Last edited by Floyd on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

dr. calamari

#461 Post by dr. calamari » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:25 am

kevyip?

Was ist das kevyip?

bunuelian

#462 Post by bunuelian » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:45 am

dr. calamari wrote:kevyip?

Was ist das kevyip?
Noob! ;) "Kevyip" is a code phrase for that pile of unwatched DVDs that we all are too ashamed to acknowledge. It arose in this thread:

dr. calamari

#463 Post by dr. calamari » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:53 am

Thanks for the clarification...and the entertaining link to a fascinating discussion. It almost made me embarrassed to be a white male in Criterion's "target" demographic, but fortunately I don't embarrass that easily. Usually.

Antoine Doinel

#464 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:52 am

A 2-disc Grindhouse DVD is apparently on the way (last paragraph). Interesting that Rodriguez was offered to do a full blown cooking video.

Dante Vescio

Re: Grindhouse (Tarantino/Rodriguez, 2007)

#465 Post by Dante Vescio » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:23 am

Does anybody know how to find the score for the Kurt Russell "fifty fifty chance" scene? That's the scene where Rose Macgowan realizes Stuntman Mike's real intentions.
It's listed as the soundtrack from the movie Dragon's Claws on IMDB but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone?

brendanjc

#466 Post by brendanjc » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Edgar Wright tweeted about working on a commentary track for "Don't" as a hint that the complete Grindhouse release still appears to be in the works.

AttitudeAJM

#467 Post by AttitudeAJM » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:56 pm

I hope not. I actually enjoyed watching Planet Terror and knowing that nothing followed it. I found Death Proof to be rather dreadful.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#468 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:47 pm

AttitudeAJM wrote:I hope not. I actually enjoyed watching Planet Terror and knowing that nothing followed it. I found Death Proof to be rather dreadful.
You can always, you know, not watch Death Proof and turn off the DVD after the trailers or just hang on to your lone Planet Terror DVD.

skuhn8

#469 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:35 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
AttitudeAJM wrote:I hope not. I actually enjoyed watching Planet Terror and knowing that nothing followed it. I found Death Proof to be rather dreadful.
You can always, you know, not watch Death Proof and turn off the DVD after the trailers or just hang on to your lone Planet Terror DVD.
Clearly you didn't read the whole tweet where he goes on to inform us that previous dvd owners will not only be required to purchase this new version, but forced to sit through, listen and take a quiz on his commentary. So AttitudeAJM can now look forward to having a lot following 'it'.

eerik

#470 Post by eerik » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:37 am

Yes, it comes with this free headset to assure that you are actually watching the whole thing.