Sexy Beast (Jonathan Glazer, 2000)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Lino

#1 Post by Lino » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:47 pm

The first film by Birth director, Jonathan Glazer. In fact, I have never heard of this movie before but since I had loved the latter so much, I decided to check it out. Wow. Powerful filmmaking and one of the best film debuts by the so called "video generation" directors.

Naturally, one can't write a few words about this film without mentioning Ben Kingsley's superlative performance. He is one of the best villains ever to grace a gangster movie. Downright scary he is too! But it's the storytelling that gives this film its real edge, from the clever editing to the way you're able to stand on your seat throughout the whole nasty business and never for a second get bored. Recommended, of course.

Some reviews.

manicsounds

#2 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:44 pm

It's not a 'great' movie, but it certainly never bores you. I loved Glazer's videos that I had to check this out back in 1999 (or was it 2000?).
I highly recommend Glazer's DVD in the Director's Series from Palm Pictures too.

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:00 pm

Have you ever seen The Hit? I haven't seen Sexy Beast yet (it's in my film pile though!), but the plots sound similar. They might make good companion pieces.

hearthesilence

#4 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:16 pm

manicsounds wrote:It's not a 'great' movie, but it certainly never bores you. I loved Glazer's videos that I had to check this out back in 1999 (or was it 2000?).
I highly recommend Glazer's DVD in the Director's Series from Palm Pictures too.
Kingsley was excellent, but the heist actually bored me. Without giving away anything, it just didn't anything for me despite the tricky little 'gimmick' they came up with to pull it off. Also, what's the deal with giant rabbit-like creatures? I think I saw this, a bit of Donnie Darko, and Harvey the same week, and it just seemed like a really odd....I don't know, are hallucinations of giant rabbit creatures a cliché?

Polybius

#5 Post by Polybius » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:37 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Have you ever seen The Hit?
That's a damn cool film. I think it's the first place I ever saw Tim Roth.

I actually thought of Sexy Beast today, walking into a restaurant. It was around 96°F and I flashed on the "It's hot...Africa hot...I let it seep through my body..." thing that Ray does at the beginning :lol:

Ray Winstone is amazing. Name an American actor (other than maybe Oliver Platt, who would play it totally for laughs) with that build who'd happily parade around in a Speedo?

Napoleon

#6 Post by Napoleon » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:51 am

Polybius wrote:Ray Winstone is amazing. Name an American actor (other than maybe Oliver Platt, who would play it totally for laughs) with that build who'd happily parade around in a Speedo?
Bill Murray (but he'd play it for pathos).

And I can think of several others (but they'd all play it for an Oscar).

Rich Malloy

#7 Post by Rich Malloy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:02 pm

For me, this film will always be most memorable for its absolutely inspired use of The Stranglers "Peaches" in the opening sequence, evoking a lecherous, sweat-drenched misogyny that's palpably sleazy and predatory.

Gordon

#8 Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:47 pm

Don: "Shut up, cunt. You louse. You got some fuckin' neck ain't you? Retired? Fuck off, you're revolting. Look at your suntan, it's leather, it's like leather man, your skin. We could make a fucking suitcase out of you! Like a crocodile, fat crocodile, fat bastard. You look like fucking Idi Amin, you know what I mean? Stay here? You should be ashamed of yourself. Who do you think you are? King of the castle? Cock of the walk?"

[Punches Gal in the stomach]

Don: "What you think this is - Wheel of Fortune? You think you can make your dough and fuck off? Leave the table? Thanks Don; see you Don; off to sunny Spain now Don; fuck off Don. Lying in your pool like a fat blob laughing at me, you think I'm gonna have that? You really think I'm gonna have that, ya ponce. All right, I'll make it easy for you, God knows you're fucking trying: Are you gonna do the job? It's not a difficult question: Are you gonna do the job, yes or no?"

Crazy film. It strikes an amazingly fine balance between comedy and terror. Amazing acting and unique directorial touches.

rs98762001

#9 Post by rs98762001 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:04 pm

The dialogue exchanges between Gal and Don are worthy of Pinter and Mamet.

Polybius

#10 Post by Polybius » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:16 am

n w wrote:
Polybius wrote:Ray Winstone is amazing. Name an American actor (other than maybe Oliver Platt, who would play it totally for laughs) with that build who'd happily parade around in a Speedo?
I don't think Bill's quite that tubby, yet.

I've liked Ray since he played Will Scarlett in Robin of Sherwood in the early '80's. He's never anything less than interesting.

This movie was also my first clue that maybe McShane had some Badass in him, something he's quite solidly confirmed with his portrayal of Al Swearengen over the last few years.

barrym71

#11 Post by barrym71 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:47 pm

I love this film. I've seen it at least ten times. There's something really affecting in the relationship between Gal and his wife.

Speaking of Winstone, he is absolutely stunning in The Proposition - I thought it was a defining moment for him as an actor.

Jem

#12 Post by Jem » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:23 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Have you ever seen The Hit? I haven't seen Sexy Beast yet (it's in my film pile though!), but the plots sound similar. They might make good companion pieces.
Yes, brilliant film. Outstanding cast, beautiful music by Paco De Lucia.

Glazer's new ad for Bravia

flyonthewall2983

Re:

#13 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Polybius wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:16 am
n w wrote:
I don't think Bill's quite that tubby, yet.
He kind of does it in Rushmore with the Budweiser swim trunks.

The scene with Gal and his wife on the phone struck me as particularly emotional last time watching it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Sexy Beast (Jonathan Glazer, 2000)

#14 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:02 pm

And in The Life Aquatic in, unless I'm mistaken, an actual Speedo.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Sexy Beast (Jonathan Glazer, 2000)

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:26 am

I'd argue that's more work attire in Zissou's case but I'll let it stand.